Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
Okay -- Hey, wait!!!

The Sony readers can "read" both pdf and epub? Is that true?

What are the Sony readers???

I am asking my husband to return the Literati tomorrow. The thing is just monstrous.
The Sony readers that are currently being sold are the PRS-350 (5 inch screen), PRS-650 (6 inch screen) and PRS-950 (7 inch screen). They all have the same features, with the exception of the 950 which has wi-fi and 3 g, while the 650 and 350 have no internet connection. You might be able to find older models on sale, also. The current line of readers all have touch screens and come preloaded with 12 dictionaries. Very snazzy. I'm hoping to pick up the 950, soon. I currently have both pdfs and epub on my Sony PRS-505.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Here are some video reviews of the Sony prs-650:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LIVoozHa6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5bP...eature=channel

What ever reader you decide to look into, I suggest checking out some video reviews on Youtube, so that you get a better idea as to what it can and cannot do. Good luck.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleecrazee View Post
Hey Amy, I just got Literati also, about 2 weeks ago. At first, it gave me nothing but trouble and after hours of aggravation, i gave up and exhanged it for a new one. Then I THOUGHT this one was working...it isn't. Not only does Kobo software suck, My Adobe DIgital Editions doesn't read the device. I am at a loss of what to do, I think I may return it. I really think this device...well, I think it is of no real use. If you find any REAL helpful information, you should definetly contact me, and I will do the same.
Ashlee I don't know how to contact you directly, so I'm leaving this post and hoping you one day get to it --

On the Literati: All of your PDFs are under the "Documents" tab of your Literati reader -- NOT under books. For some reason, the Literati stores anything in PDF format (even if it's a book) as a DOCUMENT - and that's where I found the library books I had borrowed in that format.

Hope that helps -- Otherwise, it seems that people are recommending Sony readers for those who want both pdf and epub books, and to borrow heavily from the library.
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #19
MrHatandClogs
MrHatandClogs doesn't litterMrHatandClogs doesn't litter

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
Ashlee I don't know how to contact you directly, so I'm leaving this post and hoping you one day get to it --

On the Literati: All of your PDFs are under the "Documents" tab of your Literati reader -- NOT under books. For some reason, the Literati stores anything in PDF format (even if it's a book) as a DOCUMENT - and that's where I found the library books I had borrowed in that format.

Hope that helps -- Otherwise, it seems that people are recommending Sony readers for those who want both pdf and epub books, and to borrow heavily from the library.
I was going to say the same thing.

If Adobe digital editions is recognizing your Literati(a literati "shelf" is now in the program), everything should work perfectly.

Just drag the file to the "literati shelf", disconnect your device and after the Literati "processes your new content", the .pdf file should be under "Documents". And contrary to what others have said, not all .pdf ebooks will be in the "Documents" tab, all the .pdf ebooks I've borrowed from my library go in the "Books" tab.

The main thing I figured out, is that have to update to the newest firmware(version 1.9) for everything to work right.

For example, if you haven't updated, then the Literati won't be recognized by Adobe Digital Editions.

I've run across a lot of people saying they can't get books from the Kobo website/desktop app to sync on their Literatis.

I've talked to Tech Support at Literati, and they said as of the Dec 3 2010 firmware update(version 1.9), the Literati does not connect to the Kobo desktop app. They are currently working on a fix for this, and will release it in the next update

If you can't add the books from Kobo by simply synching your device wirelessly, then the only way to get books from Kobo, or any other ebook store/library you'll have to use Adobe Digital Editions using the following method...

1.) If you haven't already, you'll need to download Adobe Digital Editions. (You can get it free from the Adobe website, just google it )

You'll need to first authorize the program to your computer, by entering your Adobe ID, you'll need to register with Adobe if you don't have one.

You'll then need to authorize your Literati to the Adobe program, if you've updated to the 1.9 firmware, then the first time you connect the Literati to the computer while you have Adobe Digital Editions open, it you should ask you to do this automatically.

2.) Whether buying a book from the Kobo store, another ebook store, borrowing from your local library, etc....

After you purchase a book it will be in your "purchased" books area on the actual Kobo website, next to it should be a button that says "Adobe DRM EPUB".

Click this button to bring up the dialog box, and select "open with: Adobe Digital Editions".

After doing so Adobe Digital Editions should be automatically opened, and it will start downloading the book onto your "library" shelf.

You then just need to "drag and drop" the book from the "library" shelf to the "literati" shelf in the program(this shelf will only be in the program when you have the literati connected to the computer, and you have authorized your Literati to the ADE program), disconnect your Literati from the computer(Always eject it from the computer before disconnecting), and the literati should automatically "process your new content" and then show the new book on your device.

P.S. And when trying to authorize the Literati to the Adobe Digital Editions program, it is imperative that you have updated to the newest firmware. When I tried to do it out of the box(before updating), the Adobe Digital Editions didn't recognize the literati. Not until I updated to 1.9 did it recognize.

And, using this method, you won't be able to utilize the "News and Mags" subscriptions. The only way to get the issues to your device is either by syncing wirelessly or syncing with the Kobo desktop application. And since the Kobo desktop app doesn't recognize the Literati, this option is impossible until they fix this.

So in short, to use the "News and Mags" subscriptions on the Literati, you have to be able to sync wirelessly until they fix this problem with a new update.

Hope this helps!
MrHatandClogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
I haven't tried any PDF library books, but I avoid those when possible anyway, they just don't work nearly as well as the ePub library books on my nook, I wouldn't expect any different with the Literati. I've had good luck with ePub library books on the Literati so far, though...knock on wood!

One thing I learned from using ADE & the nook - it's helpful to have the same email & password for both ADE and the Kobo account. That (allegedly) helps them talk to each other a bit more readily.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
baker706
baker706 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati, Nook Color
I have a Literati that has worked fine, but all of a sudden when I download free books or purchased books by wireless connection to Kobo they don't appear. If I connect to my pc and open ADE it recognizes the Literati and shows the books are on it, but when I disconnect I can't read them on the Literati. It says content is locked and to use your ADE id to unlock the content or something like that.
baker706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker706 View Post
I have a Literati that has worked fine, but all of a sudden when I download free books or purchased books by wireless connection to Kobo they don't appear. If I connect to my pc and open ADE it recognizes the Literati and shows the books are on it, but when I disconnect I can't read them on the Literati. It says content is locked and to use your ADE id to unlock the content or something like that.

Welcome to Mobileread ....

I'm not too sure what's happening here, I don't use ADE - but I suspect it's something to do with the authorisation on the Literati ?

There seem to be plenty of suggestions in this thread, have none of them been of any use?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
baker706
baker706 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Welcome to Mobileread ....

I'm not too sure what's happening here, I don't use ADE - but I suspect it's something to do with the authorisation on the Literati ?

There seem to be plenty of suggestions in this thread, have none of them been of any use?
Thanks for your reply. I finally gave up after the on/off button remained stuck so I couldn't turn it off and on without using a coin. I was getting ready to try the reset to factory defaults option. They are going to replace it due to the on/off button problem.
baker706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker706 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I finally gave up after the on/off button remained stuck so I couldn't turn it off and on without using a coin. I was getting ready to try the reset to factory defaults option. They are going to replace it due to the on/off button problem.
Hopefully a resolution and you can then get on with the reading ....

and talking of reading, have you seen >> Patricia Clark Memorial Library
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, drm, literati