Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Is Google going to improve the ebook business?

The following article was posted by Google on their website:We may get to check out Google's long-anticipated entry into the digital book sales market before the end of the year.

Google Editions, which was announced in spring and expected to launch in summer, is expected to be available in the U.S. by the end of the month, Google spokeswoman Jeannie Hornung told CNET today. In September, Hornung talked with CNET about some of the difficulties in launching the ambitious project, saying "The real answer is, we'll launch the service when it's ready."

Google Editions is expected to open up a new distribution channel for digital-book publishers and give Amazon and Apple a new competitor in the booming digital-book market. However, a key difference Google's "buy anywhere, read anywhere" approach, which means customers will download titles accessible exclusively through a Web browser, instead of through an online store, as Amazon and Apple customers do. Customers will also use any Internet-connected device, be it a personal computer, smartphone, or tablet computer, to access the books on Google's servers.

Google hasn't revealed who or how many partners it has in the effort. But traditional revenue-sharing models could be upset by the fact that customers wouldn't actually have their own copy of the books they purchase.

Amazon is the dominant player in the e-book sales, claiming to command upward of 80 percent of the market. However, in an apparently effort to stave off defections to rival e-book sellers, Amazon recently announced plans to give newspaper and magazine publishers a greater share of the revenue it collects.

Google is no stranger to digital books; he Internet giant announced plans in December 2004 to scan, digitize and make searchable the collections of five of the largest libraries in the world. However, the effort quickly became embroiled in lawsuits and negotiations over copyright issues.

Steven Musil
Full Profile E-mail Steven Musil
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The question is going to be, can they format the books to make the reading experience comparable to reading a paper book? Ebooks right now are the bastard stepchildren of the publishing industry.

I personally am tired of reading ebooks where the chapter beginnings and ends run into each other, or where scene changes or conversations aren't given the same visual clues that they are given in a paper book. I'm tired of going "Huh?", or having to reformat them to make them more readable.

That's going to be the key for me. If they can do that, then they'll get my money.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Well, I have yet to see Google do anything poorly (maybe not as well as it could be done, but not poorly), I think that a lot of people will like Google Editions a lot, but I don't like the sound of
Quote:
...customers will download titles accessible exclusively through a Web browser...
That sounds as if the books will be stored on Google's servers and won't be available to download to my hard-drive or reader. It's bad enough that I may not actually own the book I have bought and downloaded. If I also don't get to download it, I don't think I would ever use Google Editions. But I'm just speculating/reading into things.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yep, no offline reading would be the deal-breaker for me, too.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Well, I have yet to see Google do anything poorly (maybe not as well as it could be done, but not poorly), I think that a lot of people will like Google Editions a lot, but I don't like the sound of
That sounds as if the books will be stored on Google's servers and won't be available to download to my hard-drive or reader. It's bad enough that I may not actually own the book I have bought and downloaded. If I also don't get to download it, I don't think I would ever use Google Editions. But I'm just speculating/reading into things.
I agree, if I buy something and can't download it to my hard drive and not actually own the book, then I don't think I'll be interested either.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Article from the WSJ:

Google Set to Launch E-Book Venture

Quote:
In recent weeks, independent booksellers, which are expected to play a big role in Google Editions, began receiving contracts from their trade group. Several publishers said they were exchanging files with Google—a sign that it is close to launch, publishers say.

"Because of the complexity of this project, we didn't want to come out with something that wasn't thorough," Mr. Dougall said.

Google Editions hopes to upend the existing e-book market by offering an open, "read anywhere" model that is different from many competitors. Users will be able to buy books directly from Google or from multiple online retailers—including independent bookstores—and add them to an online library tied to a Google account. They will be able to access their Google accounts on most devices with a Web browser, including personal computers, smartphones and tablets.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I'm dubious that a website based e-book reader can be better than an e-reading program built specifically for a particular platform.

Even if it has versions tailored for each device, browser programs tend to have performance issues vs native applications.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I won't pay for eBooks I cannot use on my reader. It's that simple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Even if it has versions tailored for each device, browser programs tend to have performance issues vs native applications.
I agree up to a point, but reading isn't resource intensive and I might have said the same about gmail when it first came out.

What I am waiting to see is the DRM scheme, since we don't need another one. If there is no local storage, then DRM may be moot since everything is then on Google servers. I think it is likely that there will be a local cache (this is one good way to improve performance), but it might not contain complete ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I won't pay for eBooks I cannot use on my reader. It's that simple.
amen to that!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Yeah..no, this won't work unless it's for businesses.

If I can't have the file to read anywhere, then forget it. What happens if I want to read a book on my system and the network is down?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
In fact, I'd be more likely to want to read a book if the network is down (just one possible reason, not the only one) and I was in the middle of watching a movie or a tv show or something. If my books are also slaved to the network - crikey - gonna have to buy a set of tiddlywinks and start practicing .
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
i'd wait and see... there were so many projects from Google that didn't even see a daylight, i really want it to start first then to have a conclusion on it...

if they aim as stated to compete Amazon and Apple, they really need to come up with a competitive value - like no DRM or offline availability or device independence or all above...
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #14
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
G00gle's track record of profiting/profiteering from a community action is very good.

I (hope I) have in place many KB of filtering expressions, trying to keep G00gle out of my virtual life. Virtual congress, like social, legislative and sexual, means the naive will be abused.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
If I'm not able to read books on my Sony Readers then I will be definitely disappointed. Also if that's the case then 1 less person that will be purchasing Google Editions!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote