Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #991
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
From your post, you have probably already read this advice, but just to be certain. . . .

If you have to leave your Kindle in anything other than perfect working condition -
remove the battery.
if the firmware is NOT functioning correctly, you may return home to find that you have to buy a new battery.
(Note: From your post, you may already have to buy a new battery, but I can't say for certain at this point.)

Opening the K3 is fairly easy and links in our master index sticky can be found to the teardown videos.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #992
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
SWEET SUCCESS

Thanks to geekmaster for thoughtfulness,

to ixtab for helpfulness

and to silver18 for the "not so noob" guide.
I am glad you got it working (finally). I added your success report to the list in the first post.

For anybody else trying to follow WhiteDwarf's progress through his debricking process, a significant amount of the communications were conducted via PMs, but many of the highlights are in recent posts in this thread.

Congratulations WhiteDwarf!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #993
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
I've documented the whole process with the screen shots. I can share them with anybody interested or, perhaps, I'll try to put together a small debricking guide for even greater noobs.

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-09-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: bad english
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #994
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
I've documented the whole process with the screen shots. I can share them with anybody interested or, perhaps, I try to put together a small debricking guide for even greater noobs.
Yes, that would be great! Maybe you can bundle them up as a document, or a presentation, and attach it here...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #995
WhiteDwarf72

My Pc can't see the Kindle device. Driver installation failed. This is not a major issue because I still have Wi-Fi access to my Amazon account. What to do?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #996
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reinstall Windows... or use a decent OS.

SCNR.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #997
WhiteDwarf72

Ok, mate. I think PCLinux will suffice.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #998
mobileringz
mobileringz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've been following the "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V4" and have successfully completed all the steps up until the diag mode section. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and have successfully installed a Kindle-fastboot driver and done all the steps in fastboot in the command prompt, but now I'm stuck.

My Kindle Touch is no longer endlessly rebooting. It is stuck on the boot screen with the tree. Despite flashing it according to the guide in boot mode, I am unable to get it to reboot into diag mode. When I enter the final command in the guide "fastboot reboot," the only thing that happens is that the libusb-win32 devices along with the Kindle-Fastboot disappears from my Device Manager. The Kindle Touch remains unresponsive and I can't figure out how to get it to boot into diag mode.

I tried repeating the fastboot steps a few times, even downloaded the files from a different source, and am still stuck at the same place in the debricking process.

Is there any way for me to continue from here?
mobileringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #999
ixtab
(offline)

Great community here!

Great community here! - I just wanted to stress that again.

twobob and I are currently about to start an entirely new project (hehe... it's top secret at the moment, and I'm not going to reveal what it is, so don't ask... - wait and you'll see ). In any case, it requires to have an (almost) full set of Kindles available for proper development and testing.

Thanks to the generous (real-life !) help of geekmaster, I now have exactly that: a K3, K4, K5, and Paperwhite. And thanks to hawhill, qlob, NiLuJe, and geekmaster, I could use the debricking guides, firmware images, and usbnetwork, to put all of these devices into a state where they can be used for developing, without having to be afraid of ending up with a set of Kindle-shaped bricks. And it wasn't really complicated at all.

So... quite simply: thanks to all of you - and to the many others who are actively contributing here. You guys rock! And you make this forum what it is: interesting, helpful, and friendly.

Spoiler:

Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #1000
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Good day.

My question is related to the "simple debricking KT method" by ixtab. I am planning to install "SSH-enabled diags" as explained here with the important notes located here.

Could you share more information regarding the following preparation step, please:
Quote:
# After you're done, verify that SSH is working in diags, by following the instructions in README.txt
?

After I installed the "SSH-enabled diags" how can I check that SSH is working in diags having working non-bricked KT? Thanks in advance and pardon my incomprehension.

If I got it correctly I should:
1) put "ENABLE_DIAGS" on the KT while in USB Mode
2) detach the USB cord and reboot the device
3) I'll get into the diags mode and then I should proceed the steps 3 and 4 from the 1st link above.
4) SKIP the real 5 step which overwrites the partition(s)
5) proceed the 6th step

Did I miss something?

Last edited by varnie; 01-13-2013 at 03:31 AM.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #1001
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Talking Thank you! - another successful debrick

I would like to tell you that I've managed to resurrect my Kindle Touch with your help. I used the silver18's debricking guide for noobs and it worked like a charm. (Well, at least after I created a Windows XP virtual machine as I couldn't get all the drivers to install on Windows 8 64bit.)
I had bricked it ('Your kindle needs repair.' screen) while trying to uninstall hacks in order to get the 5.3.2 update (which is awesome, by the way).
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #1002
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
I would like to tell you that I've managed to resurrect my Kindle Touch with your help. I used the silver18's debricking guide for noobs and it worked like a charm. (Well, at least after I created a Windows XP virtual machine as I couldn't get all the drivers to install on Windows 8 64bit.)
I had bricked it ('Your kindle needs repair.' screen) while trying to uninstall hacks in order to get the 5.3.2 update (which is awesome, by the way).
Thanks for the success report. Sometimes VMs help, as you discovered. I added your report to the list in the first post.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #1003
Bulleta
Bulleta began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Hello, I just subscribed to the forum after spending a few hours reading through people's success stories, and I think I'll be able to debrick my K4NT soon enough! My problem lies in finding the correct libusb driver to have the MFGTool recognize my Kindle in FastBoot mode. I have Win7 64, and so far, the few linked drivers scattered around keep giving me the "Driver found...but file not found" warning.

Could someone guide me in the right direction, pretty please?
Bulleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #1004
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleta View Post
Hello, I just subscribed to the forum after spending a few hours reading through people's success stories, and I think I'll be able to debrick my K4NT soon enough! My problem lies in finding the correct libusb driver to have the MFGTool recognize my Kindle in FastBoot mode. I have Win7 64, and so far, the few linked drivers scattered around keep giving me the "Driver found...but file not found" warning.

MfgTool only recognizes the kindle in USB Downloader mode. For fastboot mode, you need the fastboot tool.

For 64-bit windows versions, you must reboot into "allow unsigned drivers" mode, unless you can find a signed version of libusb...

You could instead use a 32-bit windows VM, which is what I do...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #1005
WhiteDwarf72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleta View Post
My problem lies in finding the correct libusb driver to have the MFGTool recognize my Kindle in FastBoot mode. I have Win7 64, and so far, the few linked drivers scattered around keep giving me the "Driver found...but file not found" warning.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=allow+unsigned+drivers

regards ixtab

Also it is good to use inf-wizzard

Tags
debricking