Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
Like VicLavigne said internal SD card partition size for side-loaded content is well known, it is 250MB(marketing peoples size, technically it is 239MB) (you can check the drives size when you connect your Nook to the PC because that partition is seen as a regular external disk by your computer). Your 161 books are probably around that size in total.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm just curious why this discussion of the STR is taking place in a nearly two year old thread about a different device.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm just curious why this discussion of the STR is taking place in a nearly two year old thread about a different device.
Didn't realize it was originally about the classic nook. I just started looking at this thread this week, because all of my books on my new Nook STR are sideloaded.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
kado
Enthusiast
kado began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Quote:
Like VicLavigne said internal SD card partition size for side-loaded content is well known, it is 250MB(marketing peoples size, technically it is 239MB)
Timur, VicLavigne,

I believe my question could be answered by you considering your knowledge about technical characteristics of Nook Classic.

Does anyone of you have an idea as to how to refer to the "my fonts" folder with absolute referencing. I came across in a few blogs which claims:

Code:
system/my fonts
...but I haven't seen any documentation to prove.

I have 1.7.0 firmware and to me it is more logical like:

Code:
nook/my fonts
What could you say?
kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
kado
Enthusiast

On a completely different matter, did I understand what was written in this thread correctly...

Do you guys successfully display cover pages of sideloaded books on the colorful screen at the bottom of Nook Classic as flying covers as if these books were purchased from B&N.

Can softrooting allow flying covers for all books no matter where they are purchased from?

Happy new year to all.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
It really is a bit confusing that the STR is discussed in a topic labelled "Classic", but I can see how it could happen.
Yes, on a rooted Nook Classic you can have the covers show equally for sideloaded and BN material. You will also have more sorting options.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
@Kado: I do not have a Nook Classic, but according to the sources below, if you are creating a "my fonts" folder on the root of internal SD cards user partition(which can be seen as a disk from your PC) and copy Liberation font files into it, the line in the css font-face directives should read as

Code:
src: url('res:///system/media/sdcard/my fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf')
the other path

Code:
res:///system/fonts/
seems to be the hidden system partition and can only be reached via adb.

sources:
http://www.nookboards.com/forum/73-o...ease-help.html
http://nookdevs.com/Font_Changes

Hope this helps.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #23
kado
Enthusiast

Thank you Asawi and Timur,

Higly appreciated...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #24
osu
osu began at the beginning.

Device: whatever.
I did not like the way the original Nook sorted or organized books. Too hard to find books, and I only had ~40 sideloaded books (libraries, books bought elsewhere).

It's decent enough, but I ultimately sold the device. Sideloading was more hassle than I wanted. It's not hard, and reading on a Nook sure beats reading on an iTouch, so... as long as you know the Nook's limitations with book organization and having to sideload everything, you'll probably like it.
osu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #25
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Yeah my average size falls out around 600KB. Current total library is about 150 books on my Nook, about 130 of them in main memory, 2 of them purchased through BN and residing in the reserved space, 20 of them on the micro SD card and about 9MB of wallpaper images sideloaded. Total free space is spot on 150MB of the 246MB available.

It annoys me that so much of the space is reserved for only BN content, but since my total library is maybe only 250 books, they should all fit in main memory if I really wanted to (to avoid lossing shelved books, sigh). I mostly got the micro SD card (4GB) so that I would "never run out of space" and to give PDFs a try. My iPad 2 is significantly better, but if I ever needed to, in a pinch and poorly it will work with some my PDFs (RPG books, which range from around 12MB up to 80MB each, so main memory basically isn't an option).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have over 500 books sideloaded on my nook classic with no memory issues. If they're in Calibre you can sort by size to see if there's a problem book and remove it while enjoying the other books.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote