Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quick question for our British friends.

Quick question for our British friends:

I know that you say "I've been in hospital," where we American's would say "the hospital."

Would the correct British sentence be "we need to get him to hospital"?
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's right. We'd never say "I've got to go to THE hospital"; it would always just be "hospital". I've no idea why; just one of those things. There are other words that are used the same way, such as school, work, university, college. They all seem to be words that mean "places where you go to do something".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I would say "got to get him down the hospital" or to be more precise "gorra get im daahn thee ozzy". But I would also say both "I've been in hospital" and "I've been in thee ozzy" depending on circumstances. But I would never say "I've been in ozzy" because then people might think I'd been to Australia.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Thanks guys. As always, I appreciate the help.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You do it with "University," too.

American English: I'm enrolled in the University.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You do it with "University," too.

American English: I'm enrolled in the University.

Don
I've always thought it was, "I'm enrolled in college" here in the states though I do concede the point that many colleges are part of universities.
I remember a thread sometime back where there was a good deal of discussion about differences between America and England in terms of word choice. It was very interesting as I recall.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've always thought it was, "I'm enrolled in college" here in the states though I do concede the point that many colleges are part of universities.
I remember a thread sometime back where there was a good deal of discussion about differences between America and England in terms of word choice. It was very interesting as I recall.
I think in America the word "university" is a bit more arbitrary. University and college are usually interchangeable, except possibly in the case of community colleges.

In the UK, "college" usually means what we would consider the latter half of high school (6th form, in the UK, typically for students 16-18 years old).

When I'm talking to my UK friends, or even my NZ friends, I tell them "I'm in university," not college. And it's phrased similarly to "going to hospital," with no "the."

Also, emergency hospital is not "ER" in the UK. It's "A&E" (Accident and Emergency).

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-01-2011 at 03:59 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do Americans not say "going to church", rather than "going to the church"?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The way I see it depends on what you are doing at the location (American English that is)

"I've got to go to school" - I'm going there to use the location for it's intended purpose
"I've got to go to the school" - I'm going there for some other reason LOL.

"We're going to church" -Going there for worship or whatever
"We're going to the church" -Going there because it's the location of say a wedding
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
The way I see it depends on what you are doing at the location (American English that is)

"I've got to go to school" - I'm going there to use the location for it's intended purpose
"I've got to go to the school" - I'm going there for some other reason LOL.

"We're going to church" -Going there for worship or whatever
"We're going to the church" -Going there because it's the location of say a wedding
That's exactly how it's done in Britain, too.

"I'm going to hospital to have an operation".

"I'm going to the hospital to visit Uncle Fred".

But if you asked me to define the "rules" which govern each usage, I'd struggle. I just know what "feels right" .
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

American English makes no sense!

I was raised in the South, which has its own culture. We say "I'm going to church."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Couldn't you folks just get along and stick with one version of English? You guys are making it really hard for Canadians as we have to deal with both versions every damn day.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Couldn't you folks just get along and stick with one version of English? You guys are making it really hard for Canadians as we have to deal with both versions every damn day.
The solution's obvious. Have your own version!

I don't think there's ever been one version of English.

"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
"And every single one of them is right!"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
You could always use French instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Would the correct British sentence be "we need to get him to hospital"?
I think it depends on the circumstances. If it was that someone needed to be taken to any nearby hospital, it would be "to hospital". If a specific hospital had been referenced earlier, as opposed to other possible hospitals, "to the hospital" might be appropriate.

So if any hospital will do "to hospital", if a specific hospital "to the hospital".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote