Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
jbone1313
jbone1313 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
iPad Feed Bug

When I open MSDN and The New Yorker feeds in iBooks, iBooks starts freaking out and popping up a bunch of messages asking if I want to go to a link. The Economist and The Atlantic feeds do not have this problem.

Is this a bug with the recipe?

Any way to fix this?

Should I submit a Calibre bug?

Thanks!
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Weird, sounds like a bug with iBooks. Haven't seen this behavior in any other EPUB viewer. What exactly are the messages?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
jbone1313

It says, "Do you want to leave iBooks and open this link?". It keeps popping up after I hit cancel multiple times. Then, it finally enables the button to go back to the iBooks library.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to be clear (as I don't have an iPad) when you open the e-book you get these messages and after canceling all of them the book auto closes?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
jbone1313

No, the book doesn't autoclose. But, the popups disable interaction with the UI until they're closed. Since they keep popping up, you have to hope the delay between the next popup is long enough for the "Library" button in iBooks to become active, so that you can close the book.

Thanks much for looking into this.
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I suspect it may have to with javascript. Perhaps the iPad doesn't disable javascript? Do you know how to create a custom recipe from a builtin one?

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-06-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
jbone1313

Interesting. I created a custom recipe which just pulls the RSS feed for The New Yorker and nothing else. What is it specifically about the built-in feed? Is there some Javascript going on in there? I.e., is there something I could remove if this happens to other feeds? My big worry would be for The Economist (which works fine now), because it seems like that one may have taken a while to setup, and it wouldn't be so easy for me to recreate it.

A side question: I noticed the Economist provides a RSS feed for their full print edition, but they only provide snippets of the text. I think Calibre is using that feed. How is it that Calibre can go get all of the text and pictures? Is there some crazy programing behind the scenes which clicks all the links and grabs the text? Is there a different feed Calibre uses which contains everything? Just curious.

The Week has a similar setup for their full edition, and I may setup a similar feed if I get some time.

Thanks much.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Add the following to the custom recipes

Code:
remove_javascript=True
that will remove most javascript. And calibre fetches content by following links. RSS feeds are just used as a convenience to get the links.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually I think it was caused by <iframe> tags (will be removed in next release).
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
Interesting. I created a custom recipe which just pulls the RSS feed for The New Yorker and nothing else.
I'll just stick a brief comment here for anyone who may be interested. I looked for a New Yorker recipe a while back and was surprised, but didn't see one. I may have missed it, but regardless, I started to write one. I was distracted and by the time I got back to it, a new version of calibre had it in there. I noticed however, that the built-in seemed to only pull one feed of "everything".

My initial attempt had found lots of things that I didn't see in the built-in everything feed. My version had several feeds in it. I modified the built-in to add one of the New Yorker feeds from my aborted attempt, and saw lots of stuff not included in the "everything" feed. (e.g., the famous New Yorker cartoons). The "everything" feed seemed to be limited to "About Town" with maps, but I'm not in NY.

I got sidetracked again, so never went any further. The customized recipe needed cleanup and more feeds, which I never got around to doing.

FYI
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote