Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #91
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
LOL TD. I laugh about the way this thread unfolded too. When I made the thread I was serious, of course, but now the thread title mocks us.

And yes, I agree, I'd still love to see pics of good PW's.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #92
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
The funny thing is how few "Pics of *good* Paperwhites" actually exist in this thread, given the title. You'd think people would be rushing to prove us wrong. (I mean, it's not that much more effort than randomly telling strangers on the internet that their opinion is invalid.)

So if you think we're all just nitpicking, do the following:

1) Turn your PW up to max light level in a dimly-lit room. (No significant external lighting, no sunlight.)

2) Take a photo with your phone with no flash, with the light setting present on-screen (so we can see you have it on 24)

3) Attach it to a message in this thread

Trust me, if you have a unit with no pink and green/blue or obvious unevenness, many of us would love to see it and/or will be quite jealous.

We've already seen sirmaru's and we know his has color blobs.
Exacly! And then, please take a picture in a dark room with the light on 12.
Thanks in advance. We actually WANT there to be non-blob screens, because we WANT to get a good PW.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #93
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
The funny thing is how few "Pics of *good* Paperwhites" actually exist in this thread, given the title. You'd think people would be rushing to prove us wrong. (I mean, it's not that much more effort than randomly telling strangers on the internet that their opinion is invalid.)

1) Turn your PW up to max light level in a dimly-lit room. (No significant external lighting, no sunlight.)

2) Take a photo with your phone with no flash, with the light setting present on-screen (so we can see you have it on 24)

Trust me, if you have a unit with no pink and green/blue or obvious unevenness, many of us would love to see it and/or will be quite jealous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350284635.604894.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	94126

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350284676.258456.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	94127

I see no blobs, no pink or blue in my PW. I do see the shadowing at the bottom caused by the LED spacing. Otherwise, my PW is perfect to my eyes.

Last edited by Heifzilla; 10-15-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #94
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
We're too busy reading on our new Paperwhites.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #95
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

Does it have to be taken with a phone? I can do this with a camera.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #96
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Really?!?!

Quote:

Today on the PW web site at Amazon 53 reviewers (one star voters) swear they see color blobs on their originals and on their replacements but 221 (5 star voters) can't see them at all and love their PW's.

I'm one of those 221. It appears most of the posters here are part of the 53.

Its like the flying saucer debates in the 1950's. Millions THOUGHT they saw flying saucers and some even submitted photos of them. However, hundreds of millions never saw them.

Some have already gone through 3 or more replacements and see color blobs on all. Many said my photos displayed color blobs. I can't see them at all. Yes, if one stares closely with the right lighting condtions, a faint coloring shows in places. For me that is totally irrelevant to the great attributes of the Paperwhite.

When LCD TV's first appeared, many folks went up real close and saw lots of defects in the pixels. They even photographed them. They said the cathode ray tube TV's would never be replaced by all those defective LCD TV's. Guess what, today no one even sells cathode ray TV's.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-15-2012 at 08:48 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #97
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post

I see no blobs, no pink or blue in my PW. I do see the shadowing at the bottom caused by the LED spacing. Otherwise, my PW is perfect to my eyes.
I see a few areas of pink in your pictures - fairly diffuse but I definitely notice them - so I guess it's a good thing that I decided to wait and not get one for now. So, lucky you for not seeing them and enjoy reading on your PW (and yes, I'm kinda jealous!)
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #98
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I see a few areas of pink in your pictures - fairly diffuse but I definitely notice them - so I guess it's a good thing that I decided to wait and not get one for now. So, lucky you for not seeing them and enjoy reading on your PW (and yes, I'm kinda jealous!)
I definitely do not see any of these issues. This, and other things, is leading me to believe that much of these defective units are really in the eyes of the beholder. I am not saying you guys don't see them, I am saying that for some reason you guys are more sensitive than average. I think, however, that most people don't see these things and are therefore thrilled with their PWs.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #99
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
I definitely do not see any of these issues. This, and other things, is leading me to believe that much of these defective units are really in the eyes of the beholder. I am not saying you guys don't see them, I am saying that for some reason you guys are more sensitive than average. I think, however, that most people don't see these things and are therefore thrilled with their PWs.
It's so weird isn't it and somehow very unfair too! I'm a photographer though, so other than being used to calibrated monitors (put an uncalibrated one in front of me and you're likely to hear me scream in horror because I see a ginormous colour cast - usually too much blue) I will also fairly quickly pick on what I think is wrong in term of lighting, etc when assessing my shots so that might explain things to a certain extent (or maybe that's *why* I work with pictures )
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #100
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
We're too busy reading on our new Paperwhites.
...and trolling people who aren't happy, yes, hence the presence in this thread and why I pointed out that it'll only take a few extra seconds to take a picture. If you have time to troll, you have time to post a pic.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #101
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll attempt to share my pics...

This one is taken several feet away from a table lamp which isn't really bright

This one is taken in the same location, with the lamp off (room has dark blinds over the window but is not completely dark

Taken with a point and shoot camera, flash off.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-15-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #102
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Mine looks the same at max light level. At lower light levels it gets a greenish tint in the upper center though.

Its only really visible if there is no ambient light, so it does not really bother me since I usually read with a high light level and with my table lamp on (and yes, it looks better than on my old KKB).

Last edited by Psykhe; 10-15-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #103
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'll attempt to share my pics...

This one is taken several feet away from a table lamp which isn't really bright

This one is taken in the same location, with the lamp off (room has dark blinds over the window but is not completely dark

Taken with a point and shoot camera, flash off.
I'd love to have one this white, but your photos are weirdly compression-artifaced and almost look like they were taken in B/W or desaturated after the fact.

Still, if I had one that really looked like that, you would never have seen me on these threads.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #104
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe these are shot at a better angle...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #105
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Those look good. I took them in my computer room, overhead light on, then off.