Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help! Did I break my Kindle?

I guess I let the battery run down too far and I was in text to speech mode and didn't see. I came home and the Kindle said I must connect it to a power source immediately. I plugged it into my USB port and a message took over the whole screen saying I cannot use the Kindle until it charges and to plug it in asap. It said it might take a few minutes until it registered that it was plugged in. I put away groceries, changed my clothes etc and it was still not showing up as a USB drive and still had that message. I decided maybe it was not registering in the USB port so I unplugged it and switched it to a different port. Almost right away, a message popped up on my computer saying I had ejected a drive improperly. So I guess it *had* registered on the computer and now I've messed it up.

That was about 10 minutes ago and it is not showing up as a drive on the computer and the message is still showing up on the Kindle screen. Should I be concerned? Will it just take awhile longer? Or did I let the battery run down too far and now it is ruined? I am very worried. The Kindle is my (very expensive) baby and I love it. I hope I didn't do something to mess it up.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
No, I ran into the same situation once.
It will likely take a few *hours* to get a reaction out of the Kindle.
I just let it charge overnight.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Does the wall charger work for you? If so, use it as it will recharge faster.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No, I ran into the same situation once.
It will likely take a few *hours* to get a reaction out of the Kindle.
I just let it charge overnight.
Hours? But I was in the middle of the story

Glad to know it is not a fatal problem. I just tried the wall charger and it still has that message but it lease the orange light is on now so it's doing something. I guess when I am on TTS I need to be more vigilant about keeping an eye on the battery. It was at less than half this morning, but I spent about an hour at the grocery store with it on before I came home, so that must have sent it over the edge.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
FYI.......when I first got my Kindle what seems a lifetime ago.......someone here, I think it was Ricky Maveety, gave me priceless hint.

I keep the charger next to my bedside table, and each night just plug it in.....regardless of how much I've read that day.

I've never run out of juice ..........Just a suggestion.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I thought it's not a good idea to recharge it to full every day.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
I thought it's not a good idea to recharge it to full every day.
It's fine. Lithium ion batteries, such as the Kindle use, don't mind being "topped up" in the least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've heard that it is not good to run the battery down flat; to top it up when it gets down to a quarter or half.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
From the "About your Kindle 1st Generation" booklet online......

Tips for Conserving Your Battery
The Kindle battery will have a much longer life if you charge it
frequently, rather than waiting until it is fully drained to charge it.
The battery may need recharging if it has not been used for a long period
of time, whether or not it was fully charged before it was stored.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Good tip! desertgrandma... There are so many tips on how to conserving battery life..

Thanks
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote