Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Well thanks for trying to help, dwanthny, but it will not work for me with the current setup.

I've run out of ideas for tonight. I'll try reinstalling Calibre tomorrow into "C:\Programs\Calibre" - which is where it used to be when everything worked properly.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-16-2009 at 10:23 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Well thanks for trying to help, dwanthny, but it will not work for me.

I've run out of ideas. I might try reinstalling Calibre tomorrow.
Try copying the viewer exe files to the "Windows" directory then associating to the copies.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Against my better judgement, I've just done a Calibre re-install to
"C:\Program Files\Calibre" rather than the default
"C:\Program Files\Calibre - E-book Management".

The viewers are now working perfectly! Hurrah!

Now I'm going to bed, which is where I should have been 3 hours ago.
Thank you and goodnight...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The viewers are now working perfectly! Hurrah!
Glad to hear the good news.

I wonder if it was the weird path that I suggested in post 13 that was the source of the trouble?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The actual file assocation itself does not require calibre to be on the PATH as one gives an absolute path to the viewer program. I have the file association setup and working fine. However if I remove calibre from the PATH then it stops working. I was assuming that something that is needed by the viewer program is only found if the path is set up correctly (just as is required for the Calibre command-line programs to operate correctly).
It definitely shouldn't need the calibre install directory to be on the PATH any more.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Soxendom
Connoisseur
Soxendom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
I uninstalled calibre (was updating anyway) and put the new version in calibre rather than the default and the associations worked perfectly - Thanks for all the help.
Soxendom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #22
Stebs
Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Stebs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm
Was still not able to do file association even after 0.6.18 deinstall and 0.6.19 install. Probably had some broken things in Registry, since after a run of Registry Tool of CCleaner (which found some problems with file associations), everything finally works now
Stebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Message for Kovid ...

I noticed from the ChangeLog that v6.19 attempted to fix this problem by changing the default installation directory to C:\Program Files\Calibre2\

When I installed to the new default the original problem came back again.

After an un-install and re-install to C:\Program Files\Calibre\ the problem was fixed again.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, it's not the install directory that's the problem. It's probably some conflict with a previous file association setting.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I'll just leave well alone and keep installing new versions to the directory that works for me!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #26
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Kovid, something broke after 0.6.18

Never before did upgrading to the latest Calibre break the file associations.

I am running Windows 7 and after I upgraded to 0.6.18 and 0.6.19, it was a major pain in the butt to reset the .epub association back to the reader app.

An easy way:

Pin the ereader to the taskbar.
drag an .epub to the ereader icon in the taskbar.

You will get a "open with" dialog, for reasons that I don't want to understand, this particular association dialog works, when all the usual ones do not.

I bugged it.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just install calibre in its old installation directory. Apparently windows can't override file associations if the location of a program changes.