Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
What's the subsidized price on that?
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Nokia sold Vertu a while ago, apparently that business model doesn't make much sense outside of China and Russia. But there people buy some items exactly because they are outrageously expensive.

But to each his own, if someone can afford it and enjoys it, why not? After all, they worked hard to make that money.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But to each his own, if someone can afford it and enjoys it, why not? After all, they worked hard to make that money.
I totally agree with you. It's a kind of "inverse snobbery" to be scornful of people who like nice things. Not everything in life has to be purely functional and cost the absolute minimum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
There are a lot of people in the world who can afford that phone who didn't work for their money at all (but that is another conversation altogether). I have to admit if I had that type of money lying around, I'm still not sure I would spend it on a phone but to each his/her own.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
There are a lot of people in the world who can afford that phone who didn't work for their money at all (but that is another conversation altogether). I have to admit if I had that type of money lying around, I'm still not sure I would spend it on a phone but to each his/her own.
Actually it is more the newly-rich-self-made entrepreneurial types that go for such products. For them it is a way to show "look, I can afford this, I have made it". I see it in China all the time. A few months ago I saw a Ferrari on a terrible road. Must be a real pain to drive it there, your foot will cramp up driving below 20 miles/30km all the time, your behind will hurt like hell, and you will have a hard time avoiding pot holes and bumps. But they feel the need to flaunt it. This type of person probably walked into a Benz dealership, looked at the S600 and then asked "don't you have anything more expensive"?

Do I feel it is stupid to buy such phone? Yes, I wouldn't want to buy it even if I had a few billions. But who am I to judge others? I myself like to nice things and would never settle for something I don't like just because it is cheap and "good enough".

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I think it's rather stupid to buy a common phone encrusted in jewels. That organisational addon service Vertu offers, at least has a usable value. Thus - would I have millions. I'd maybe buy it. Not the gold coated variant but the rest sounds fine
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #22
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Sadly, in this case, first I must have a spare $22,000 lying around.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I think it's rather stupid to buy a common phone encrusted in jewels. That organisational addon service Vertu offers, at least has a usable value. Thus - would I have millions. I'd maybe buy it. Not the gold coated variant but the rest sounds fine
Having a diamond as the replacement for the "Home" button on an iPhone sounds very uncomfortable to use.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having a diamond as the replacement for the "Home" button on an iPhone sounds very uncomfortable to use.
Your bodyguard (the one you had to hire to watch your phone) will do it for you and hold it up to your ear.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Of course - I hadn't thought of that .
Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #26
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ack exactly what I meant. There's a difference between costly - well made (highest quality materials, special functions, etc.) and brainless money sponge design.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not see how a Round Brilliant Diamond would be uncomfortable to use. The diamond facets are highly polished and smooth. The only problem I see would be if the diamond is raised higher than the original depression it would make it easier to accidentally activate the button. And look on the bright side, it would be very difficult to scratch or break the home button.
Now if the could inexpensively make the glass front out of synthetic diamond.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
...Now if the could inexpensively make the glass front out of synthetic diamond.
Apache
You could be on to something here! That would take care of easily scratching the screen.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
In the early '90s, Synthetic Diamonds were decried as the evil that would destroy the Jewelery Industry by De Beers.
The truth of the matter is that they are still more expensive to produce than natural diamonds and they quality sucks. Of course that does not mean that one day the will destroy my livelihood. Of course I should be retired and or dead by then.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote