Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
UnderXenon
UnderXenon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Character encoding issue on Kindle Paperwhite

I have noticed some strange formatting issues on some of my books when displayed on the Kindle Paperwhite. There are small boxes with four numbers in each one, I am guessing because of some sort of unsupported character encoding.

I use Calibre to manage my books and they are all originally in .mobi before I send them to my @kindle.com email address at which time my understanding is that Amazon converts them to .azw. The boxes are present, however, even when transferring the .mobi files to the kindle using the usb cable.

I have tried converting the .mobi files to .azw manually in Calibre and checking the "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII" in the Look & Feel Tab to no avail.

I have attached a screenshot of a page containing the problem I am trying to solve. It can be distracting and I would be greatly appreciative if anyone can provide any insight into how I can resolve this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_01T19_38_32-0800.png
Views:	935
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	98590  
UnderXenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This is really a question for the calibre forum. But for what it is worth, you need to determine the encoding of the source text and convert it to unicode (utf-8). I think that's what calibre expects.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
you're missing the apostrophe's ' " and `´̏̋̋

Either that, or just convert it to mobi.
Also, download the Kindle reader app, from Amazon, and see if you can see the same errors there.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote