Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
PaperWhite: How's Your Battery?

How's everyone's battery so far?!

I went from full charge to drained after indexing 302 books yesterday. I charged it again today, indexing was done, but within an hour the battery icon took its first drop.

Curious how everyone else is doing..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
How's everyone's battery so far?!

I went from full charge to drained after indexing 302 books yesterday. I charged it again today, indexing was done, but within an hour the battery icon took its first drop.

Curious how everyone else is doing..
I noticed that with mine. I charged it last night and after using it for an hour or less it dropped a notch. I cannot read long on mine because of the bad screen so I probably will not use it enough to get a good feel for the battery drain.
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I charged mine to full yesterday around noon my time when it first came. I haven't used it a ton, maybe 5 hours (light mainly set all the way down or up to about 10), but the battery indicator has barely moved (WiFi turned on). I haven't however loaded a bunch of books on it yet. From past experience with other various Kindle models that's a big battery drainer.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I charged mine to full yesterday around noon my time when it first came. I haven't used it a ton, maybe 5 hours (light mainly set all the way down or up to about 10), but the battery indicator has barely moved (WiFi turned on). I haven't however loaded a bunch of books on it yet. From past experience with other various Kindle models that's a big battery drainer.
Agreed. When indexing more then a handful of books it's important to plug in the Kindle into its charger till it's done.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I only added about 20 books yesterday, then let the indexing finish before charging it all the way to 100%. So mine went down a notch in about one hour w/o indexing being a factor. I do leave the WiFi on all the time though. Screen has mostly been at level 10 of 24. I'm having to use mine in short time spans due to the screen so it is difficult to keep up with the total time used since charged.
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another day on the initial charge and the battery indicator has gone down a very small amount more than it had yesterday (WiFi still on). Another 3 hours or so of reading done.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
With my iPhone, it was suggested that I initially drain the battery completely and charge it fully. Is that necessary with the Kindle?
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wouldn't. Li Ion and Li Polymer batteries really shouldn't be drained all the way to zero. I doubt the Kindle would allow that anyway as most devices will shutdown before then to prevent damage. Since these newer batteries don't have the memory problems of the older nickle based batteries, it isn't necessary to do that drain thing anyway, unless you have a stupid Android device which cannot seem to keep its battery memory in order.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
QofResh
Enthusiast
QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QofResh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Touch; Android Tablet (Asus TF300); PC App
Yesterday I downloaded (for better worse) somewhere over 400 items. My PW is still indexing them by the way... I waited till the battery was nearly discharged, then plugged it in to the wall and charged it all the way. By tonight the battery was nearly completely discharged again. I'm not sure if Active Content uses significantly more battery than regular books, but I did spend some time playing a word game as well as reading.

It will be interesting to see how the battery does once all the indexing is finished. Has anyone noticed whether a lot of books on the device discharges the battery quicker in and of itself, or is that simply an indexing issue which will go away after all is indexed?
QofResh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by QofResh View Post
Yesterday I downloaded (for better worse) somewhere over 400 items. My PW is still indexing them by the way... I waited till the battery was nearly discharged, then plugged it in to the wall and charged it all the way. By tonight the battery was nearly completely discharged again. I'm not sure if Active Content uses significantly more battery than regular books, but I did spend some time playing a word game as well as reading.

It will be interesting to see how the battery does once all the indexing is finished. Has anyone noticed whether a lot of books on the device discharges the battery quicker in and of itself, or is that simply an indexing issue which will go away after all is indexed?
You're suppose to keep the Kindle plugged in till indexing is done. Otherwise it will take forever and the battery will drain quickly.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Another day (WiFi still on), another approx 3 hours of reading, battery indicator has done down a little bit further. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's showing maybe 80-85%.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I have charged mine once, and used it for a grand total of maybe 3 hours (not much time for reading the last little while, unfortunately), and battery hasn't taken much of a hit. Then again, I leave wifi off most of the time unless I have stuff that needs to be whisper'd to it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Still on initial charge (from 10/2), still with WiFi on. Battery is now showing about 55-60% charged.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Still on initial charge (from 10/2), still with WiFi on. Battery is now showing about 55-60% charged.
That is meaningless without the amount of time it has been used, so how many hours have you had it turned on and what was the light level.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is meaningless without the amount of time it has been used, so how many hours have you had it turned on and what was the light level.
Sorry, meant to include that. I've read approx. 20 hours (19 hours 48 min. really). I've used the web browser for about 30 min. downloading books from DropBox (or trying too). I don't set the light very high. I'd say about 15 hours of my reading was with it all the way down and the rest with it set between 10 and 15. I'm by no means keeping great track of everything so some stuff is just approximate, just posting loosely my experiences in case it's of help to someone.