Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Limo? Enlighten me, please.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #32
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen more pages on the internet regarding this topic.
Me too. I was in the market a while back and couldn't find anything. I gave up since I haven't had a desire to sit in that room and read in a while. However, I'm still on the lookout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
. It didn't fold up in panels, but collapsed inward like a camping chair, and it was just one big fabric sling in a reclined ergonomic position, almost like it was half-hammock. That thing was super comfortable, but too small to easily fall asleep in.
That's what I have outside in the form of a bamboo sling chair. It's so comfortable but my wish list would give it armrests and a footrest. I usually sit in it Indian style, or I'll pull up a chair from the patio table to rest my feet on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
If we're customizing dream chairs, mine would be like an "egg chair" with a few soft recessed lights and possibly some speakers for classical music to be piped in softly (and at high quality, natch). I'd like my reading experience to be very "sensory focused" and free of distractions.
That's probably why I prefer reading w/ sound isolating headphones. I usually use a bluetooth receiver and my iPad or Android phone w/ any other reader/books, and just melt away into my thoughts.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #33
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
Limo? Enlighten me, please.
I drive limo part time (mostly wine tours n' weddings) Typically that means I pick up, deliver, and wait and wait and WAIT, until the passengers are ready to move on to the next destination. It leaves a LOT of time for reading.

Last edited by zespectre; 05-13-2011 at 07:35 AM.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #34
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ah, I see. I hope it isnice and comfy for you. I think it would be nice for a while to be forced to wait in a private quiet space and nap. I mean read.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #35
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
As long as you've got AC. On the one hand, I'd feel bad sitting and idling a vehicle that much, but when you think about it, it's probably more efficient than running the AC in your house.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #36
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I prefer to sit with my feet up, so I'd say my best chair is my sofa. A nice alternative is IKEA's Poäng chair - it supports your back and head very well, and is cheap, too.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #37
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
I have lower back problems, so sitting still for long periods of time is a problem for me. The one chair that doesn't hurt me is the Relax the Back Perfect Chair. The darn things are expensive, but I can stay in it for hours with no problem. They come is sizes for tall and short people as well.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #38
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
A cushy armchair plus an ottoman is good, I think, maybe with a pillow to support your lower back. I place a pillow on my lap for resting the kindle onto, and recommend it. A lazy-boy seems ideal.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Pidgeon, where did you get that? I love it.
I ordered it from a local store in Chicago, but it is made in Norway.

http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless...ess_recliners/

The store I purchased it from had several in stock, but when I saw the yellow leather on the sample ring they had, I had them do a custom order. It took six months to get it, but I just love it. The yellow leather is perfect for the decor in my bedroom, and the beech wood base matches my bed and shelf unit.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #40
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm getting a new chair, and I plan to read in it too. It's this one: Steelcase Please.

If I had enough space (and money), I would have a special reading chair... I don't, so I just read all around the place - bed, desk, couch, arm chair, bath tub, bench in the park...
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #41
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
We have Stressless in the TV room, and these in the sun-porch ... Dutalier Gliders ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #42
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Too comfy chair ?

I unhesitatingly recommend the Ikea "Poang" - don't know if it's available Stateside, or if you have Ikea. You must have......? [/U]

Anyway, it isn't your classic "sink in & snuggle" chair, but has a kind of flowing ergonomic wooden structure, with choice of fabric upholstery (removeable) inc. leather if you're feeling rich.
It initially doesn't look comfortable, but I can assure you it is the bee's knees !

In fact, I've discovered the only problem is a tendency to drop off to sleep at the end of one of "those" sort of days - 'specially with a relaxing Laphroig/Sauvignon/Guinness inside me ..........

[Even more so if you go mad like I did, and get the matching footstool -
fatal !]

I also recently got a brilliant "proper" floor-mounted reading light there for £30, which is excellent for focussing the light area - but it hasn't made a great difference to the sleep/read proportion !

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
This may sound silly but dont knock it till ya try it! After my son was born someone bought us a Boppy Pillow......he didnt use it long and one day i found myself wrapping it around my midsection and resting my forarms on it while i was reading.......it converted my couch to THE MOST comfortable reading chair!!! It works so good....it is like having my very own portable reading chair.....in any chair!!!
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #44
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen more pages on the internet regarding this topic.

I'm trying to get a great reading chair for myself, and I thought this would be a great place to fish for ideas. What kind of chairs do you think are conducive to reading? I find that most either you fall asleep in or don't have enough/any neck support (also it's hard to get a good chair for a tall dude).

My ideal is some kind of lounge chair that has good leg & arm supports, but I'd like to hear everyone else on what they use and what their ideal could be if they were to get a new chair.
Now this is one of the best and most on topic (forum-wise) threads I've seen here in a long while (I've gotten used to blabbering about everything and nothing in the Lounge lately ).
First off, I don't know how tall you are, but I'm pretty sure I'm taller, as I'm 208cm (about 6´10" for you Yanks and Brits who use unwieldy units which you can't even add or multiply properly cause they're non-decimal, yuk ! ), and I still have a chair that fits (though I wouldn't say I can completely rest my head on it).
My favorite chair is a kind of comfy office chair, with six sheels and a pretty soft cushioned leather seat and back, with hard plastic arm rests to the side (the seat has no sides). It's ultimate comfort, though may be too much, because depending on various factors (the fullness of your stomach, the amount of clouds in the sky, the exhaustion or lack of sleep you may be suffering from, and the intensity of the mental labor you're trying to accomplish) it may lull you to sleep, especially if you lean way back.
This is pretty much what it looks like :

except the arm rests are much more horizontal, like this :

But I most often read in bed (during the day), turning from one side to the other (never on my back).

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 05-16-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
RayMort
RayMort began at the beginning.

Device: RayMort
My favorite reading chair is actually the same chair I sit in all day. It's one of those ergonomic chairs for back pain that I couldn't live without!

RayMort is offline   Reply With Quote