Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
As L J mentions Bonfire of the Vanities on the blog, I recall liking the audio read by Tom Hanks.

Re: John Irving -- I love the book his fans mostly don't: A Son of the Circus.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 11-30-2010 at 08:40 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #32
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
As L J mentions Bonfire of the Vanities on the blog, I recall liking the audio read by Tom Hanks.

Re: John Irving -- I love the book his fans mostly don't: A Son of the Circus.
Whoa! Tom Hanks did an audiobook of Bonfire? I don't usually listen to audiobooks, but that's tempting (obviously I haven't read it yet).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #33
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must apologize -- I seem to have had a super-senior moment! I was thinking of the Random House version read by John Lithgow, which is abridged.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #34
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
I must apologize -- I seem to have had a super-senior moment! I was thinking of the Random House version read by John Lithgow, which is abridged.
LOL! No worries! At a minimum you reminded me I really have to read that book.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #35
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

We read In Cold Blood in high school English ... though nary a word of Shakespeare.

I've got Murder is Binding on my audio TBR pile - I'm a fan of the author's other series featuring psychic Buffalo P. I. Jeff Resnick.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #36
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We read In Cold Blood in high school English ... though nary a word of Shakespeare.

I've got Murder is Binding on my audio TBR pile - I'm a fan of the author's other series featuring psychic Buffalo P. I. Jeff Resnick.
Is it published under another author name? I don't see another series by her on goodreads.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #37
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
My suggestions:

His Illegal Self - Peter Carey
Breath - Tim Winton
The Collector - John Fowles
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #38
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Is it published under another author name? I don't see another series by her on goodreads.
Sorry ... here you go: LL Bartlett -- the books should be available at Amazon and Smashwords.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #39
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
This might help: Literature Map is a handy site that lets you enter the name of an author you know -- and gives you the names of similar authors.

Steve
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh wow, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks Steve!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #41
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I am a big fan of Jane Gardam. Although I haven't read her most popular (well-known) novel Old Filth, I can highly recommend The Queen of the Tambourine.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #42
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Here's a list of good recent literary fiction which I've read in the past year:

Parrot and Oliver In America by Peter Carey
Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell
Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel
Doghead by Morten Ramsland
The Lacuna By Barbara Kingsolver
Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
The Infinities by John Banville
City of Thieves by David Benioff
A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #43
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I enthusiastically agree with the recommendations (on Page 1 of this thread) for "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. I enjoyed the book so much that I have since read several other non-fiction books he wrote. I'm hoping he writes more novels, as "Cutting for Stone" was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I've recommended this book to several of my friends (although I don't believe any of them have read it yet).

Enjoy!
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #44
smith3532
smith3532 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Best recent book I've read is The Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. Best by far.

Everybody loves Michael Chabon. I haven't read any of his books available as ebooks so I can't make a specific recommendation, but you can hardly go wrong here.

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, historical fiction, controversial view of the English Reformation.

Annie Proulx, The Shipping News, a novel. Close Range, her best book of short stories. Also That Old Ace in the Hole, a humorous Western.
smith3532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith3532 View Post
Best recent book I've read is The Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. Best by far.
Annie Proulx, The Shipping News, a novel.....
Really The Gate? I have that because I've read some of her work in the past, but have not started that one.

The Shipping News is Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! In a very John Irving way.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote