Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
design256
Connoisseur
design256 doesn't litterdesign256 doesn't litter

Device: Irex Iliad
Gnu Chess

Dear All,

As an introduction to the SDK I have ported Gnu Chess and XBoard to the Iliad. The attached binaries run fine (and will play a good game against you!). Menu updates aren't quite right yet, but I'm working on it...

Installing

Copy gnuchess, gnuchessx and xboard into /usr/bin

Extract libs.tar into /usr/local/lib

Running

Run xboard to play.

Easy install?

Should I write a beginner's installer for this? If I did, would anybody use it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gnuchess.png
Views:	1044
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2113  
Attached Files
File Type: gz gnuchess_iliad.tar.gz (656.4 KB, 757 views)
design256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Well done!

Of course I can't seem to get out once I'm in but I'm sure you are working on that.

Let me give you back a very simple to install version of your code (based on my x48 installer.)

It's a zip file and can be extracted in one of two places:
1. Removable media device: MMC/CF/USB stick
2. iLiad's internal memory via USB, make sure you put it someplace visible such as newspapers or books.

User needs [SHELL] hack installed, cross fingers and pray for no bricks...

Insert memory device (if you didn't use USB to iLiad's internal memory)

For internal memory press key for directory you extracted the zip into, click on "gnuchess" then click on "run.sh".

Same for external memory device, navigate to gnuchess then click on run.sh.

I think you'll agree that is much easier to install and keeps all the bits out of the limited internal system memory of the iLiad.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gnuchess_iliad_0.1.zip (657.8 KB, 675 views)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
@ design256
Thils looks great. I'm a big chess fan.

some Qs [point of view of a dummies mind]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Well done!
User needs [SHELL] hack installed, cross fingers and pray for no bricks...
scotty, what does "[SHELL] hack installed" mean?
If I understand previous threads right, shell scripts can be run by WEP Key exploit.

Quote:
For internal memory press key for directory you extracted the zip into, click on "gnuchess" then click on "run.sh".
Why does iLiad run the sh with click on it?

to other dummies:
to mount iLiad's USB memory in Linux [my suse 9.0 doesn't automatically mount it]
Code:
mount /dev/sda /media/sda1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mountedUSB.png
Views:	779
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2121  

Last edited by yokos; 11-08-2006 at 07:20 AM. Reason: mountedUSB.png
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
yokos, the obvious step, after installing all the lauchi/antibrick measures in rc*.d, is to install an automatic shell execution in the registry, for .sh files to be read into /bin/sh or so.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

You can execute .sh's directly from ContentLister.

You can have a folder full of .sh's just waiting to be clicked via either the stylus or the up/down and select buttons. Otherwise you are very busy entering WEP keys and clicking test/download buttons.
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
You can execute .sh's directly from ContentLister.
Yes, but not with factory settings of course.
er_registry.txt needs to get updated as described in your post #4 here.
It's hard to decide for me whether your "a" script is save & more important whether I can do in a correct way. I'm tempted to try it. Playing chess on iLiad is promising.

Last edited by yokos; 11-08-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Great!!

Now please...GnuGo!
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

scotty1024 posted here a shellme.zip file, which you can use to change your /mnt/settings/er_registry.txt.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned

I don't have Design256's source, I've just been his packager.

You'll need to go to him for updates on things like the menus, exit button and furiously blinking LED.

I've updated the packaging to .2 version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gnuchess_iliad_0.2.zip (677.7 KB, 625 views)
Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drops
Great!!

Now please...GnuGo!
Yes!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE! That would really be cool...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Yes, but not with factory settings of course.
er_registry.txt needs to get updated as described in your post #4 here.
It's hard to decide for me whether your "a" script is save & more important whether I can do in a correct way. I'm tempted to try it. Playing chess on iLiad is promising.
Yokos, I saw your work on the ipdf installers -- nice work! Feel like doing the same on GnuChess (and GnuGo), mrxvt, x48? I've already installed these programs, but I think more people will try out community-developed programs if they are really easy to install, even including icons as you did.

Or perhaps I should do it myself. Just gotta finish a few books and a game of chess first...
Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Yokos, I saw your work on the ipdf installers -- nice work! Feel like doing the same on GnuChess (and GnuGo), mrxvt, x48? I've already installed these programs, but I think more people will try out community-developed programs if they are really easy to install, even including icons as you did.
Have you tried the .2 versions of the applications?

They've always been unzip and go, but the .2 versions broke new ground by introducing the icon concept along with just click n' go (no need to find run.sh and click on it.)

I'm not certain how much easier they could be made to install at this point.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
JacquesL
LoDC
JacquesL doesn't litterJacquesL doesn't litter

Device: E-Book Reader - Iliad
yes I confirm

yes I confirm, Thanks for the .2 versions of all applications, so easy to get : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software, so easy install, so easy to lunch et so great to use.
merci et bravo !
JacquesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Have you tried the .2 versions of the applications?

They've always been unzip and go, but the .2 versions broke new ground by introducing the icon concept along with just click n' go (no need to find run.sh and click on it.)

I'm not certain how much easier they could be made to install at this point.
Ah, no I didn't notice the 0.2 version. Will try it today (I finally found my stylus again... ). Cool!

By the way, I think the attachment links at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software should be removed. They point to wrong versions and they don't work anyway -- I get an error message "Please don't hotlink to our images"...
Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
By the way, I think the attachment links at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Iliad_Software should be removed. They point to wrong versions and they don't work anyway -- I get an error message "Please don't hotlink to our images"...
Well... Its a wiki so it would be handy if the mainteners of each package updated them...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote