Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
First off - HI! to a fellow Jersey person!

I'm 99% sold. I already have a kindle and a pocket pro. I also do some occasional reading on my iPhone. I'm really dying to get it (Mac girl through and through).

I think I'd like to see it hands on first. Does anyone know if the Apple stores have them in yet?
I was in Freehold Mall yesterday and decided to pop in to see......no stock yet

Reserve one at your local Apple store....costs no money, and if you change your mind.....don't buy it

What part of NJ are you from?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #17
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I think I'd like to see it hands on first. Does anyone know if the Apple stores have them in yet?
Apple never puts a device on display prior to when it officially goes on sale.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
C'mon c'mon c'mon..... Is it April 3rd yet?

Still a whole 'nuther week and a half. OK, my tracking says the delivery date is 4/3. But that is a Saturday. Will we have to wait until the following Monday to get our iPads?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Even the reviewers don't have them yet

I think it is wise to see the thing first. The IPS screen should be great, but there are other variables.

For instance, I don't have a problem with regular LCD screens, and definitely find staring at an Apple IPS monitor all day a fairly pleasant experience.

BUT, the regular 18-bit LCD on the iPhone makes my eyes blurry (when looking at a distance) after 20 minutes.

This may be due to the small area, but (I am guessing here) it may also be due to a lower refresh rate. If the iPad employs a lower refresh rate (again, a guess), to reduce power consumption for instance, it may bother some, who are not bothered by a regular LCD monitor.

I personally am waiting to see if the Android tablets address some of what I see as significant deficiencies in the iPad, but even if I weren't, I'd still make sure I play with one for a bit, before buying it for reading.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I personally am waiting to see if the Android tablets address some of what I see as significant deficiencies in the iPad, but even if I weren't, I'd still make sure I play with one for a bit, before buying it for reading.
I agree. Reading comfort is such a personal thing. I for one love reading on my iPhone and do so for hours at a time. I'm not going to assume that I will find the iPad a better reading experience.

Reading will be a "nice extra" for me. If it was the primary reason for getting it, I'd be very wary of buying sight unseen.

As it is -- I preordered mine and am anxiously awaiting delivery.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
conniewilson11
conniewilson11 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I was in Freehold Mall yesterday and decided to pop in to see......no stock yet

Reserve one at your local Apple store....costs no money, and if you change your mind.....don't buy it

What part of NJ are you from?
you can check out for yours here
[URL removed]
not for everyone,
see if you qualify

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-24-2010 at 06:57 AM.
conniewilson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You might get away with 32gb if you sync every few days. I went from a 32gb iPod touch to a 16gb iPhone and basically it just meant I moved playlists on and off more often.

With photos you can sort them into galleries by date (or if you use iPhoto) by person or geographic location. So you just drag and drop them onto your device in iTunes.

That means you may decide to only sync photos from the last 2 yrs by dragging those albums on. With 10 hrs battery life you will be syncing regularly so you could just add/remove older albums/books when you need them.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #23
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by conniewilson11 View Post
you can check out for yours here
[EDITED OUT - Don/Moderator]
not for everyone,
see if you qualify
Those things are scams just trying to get your info.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-24-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #24
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
I'm looking forward to the iPad as well! I do love my Kindle 2 and I'll be the first to say that I am reserving judgement on which I will use for my main ereading. Of course, for surfing the web and all and for color in magazines and the like, no contest there. But I have become accustomed to e-ink. But I do think that the iPad's ability to use color to set up different colored fonts and "papers" will go a long way toward reduction of eye-strain.

As to transferring files -- I have most of my bought ebooks stripped of DRM and in Calibre so should be able to change them to whatever format is settled on. I also am hoping that Stanza will look good on the iPad. And there is an iPhone app called PDF READER that lets you upload and download pdf files with any browser that I am hoping will also have an iPad version.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
[QUOTE=conniewilson11;842125]you can check out for yours here

[URL removed]

We do not allow scams here on MobileRead.

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #26
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
[please delete - wrong thread]

Last edited by Sonist; 03-26-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
revenuer
revenuer began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I knew right away i wanted one. I'd been looking and reading up on ereaders for quite awhile and was considering a sony that was backlit (an older model i believe, that could be had on ebay) or a nook (for the "extra capabilities"). I've been reading on my iphone since i've gotten it, so when the ipad was announced it was a no-brainer for me.

32gb on the way, c'mon April 3rd!
revenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniewilson11 View Post
great justification,
I would recommend the 64GB since you will soon get your memory
full with video n photos n music.
Exactly my thinking as well, btw your pooch looks like my Dog Tessie.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #29
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
I enjoy my Kindle for ebooks and my (God knows how many) Audible books but I'm very excited to get my hands on my reserved iPad for reading and listening. I'll likely retire or gift my Kindle at some point because I'm hoping the iPad will do just about everything I need.

I suspect Audible won't be a problem as they support everything from smartphones to GPS devices but I'll be begging, bribing and pleading for help to get my Kindle books ported over.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #30
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
There's a kindle app announced for the ipad so you should be pretty safe there.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote