Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #91
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Oh, sorry. Opposites day.

HATED those books. My husband convinced me to try them. Main Character = horrible horrible whiny person. (I'd use stronger language, but I know there are some kids on this forum.)
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #92
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post

HATED those books. My husband convinced me to try them. Main Character = horrible horrible whiny person. (I'd use stronger language, but I know there are some kids on this forum.)
Hi there, Heather from Mesa. Alan from Mesa here.

Interesting how it is actually surprising to see someone from the same neck of the woods here on the internet. I kind of assume everyone else is from some far flung (to me) corner of the globe.

I don't know if you've checked out Boomerang, but the majority of the action happens right in the East Valley.

My wife and I only occasionally have the same taste in reading material. I think that is a sign of a good, strong, balanced relationship!
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #93
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Just finished "The Importance of Being Earnest". Its hilarious.

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #94
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
As mentioned a few times here, I'll chime in on the Stephanie Plum books by Evanovich. Very funny.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #95
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams.

Really cracks me up.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #96
SarahRae
SarahRae is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Monkey See

I would recommend reading "Monkey See" by Walt Maguire.

It's is a highly informative and a truly laugh-out-loud read. It's a social satire, how-to guide for creating talking monkey children, advice column for dealing with teenagers, analysis of cultural values, and the story of primate world domination all bound together. Very funny and a very quick read.
SarahRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #97
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
I read or listen to Lillian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who" series. The main characters are 2 Siamese cats and a former newspaper reporter. Clean, fluffy, fun reads. I like to listen to the audio books on road trips.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #98
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
If you like the style of Terry Pratchett or Jasper Fforde, you'll probably enjoy Robert Rankin.

It's worth looking at his bibliography just for the titles.http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/robert-rankin/

If you're intrigued, give his Brentford series a try.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #99
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Breakfast of Champions: Vonnegut is fairly funny.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #100
LJL
Enthusiast
LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.LJL writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
I'm reading P.J. O'Rourke's Driving Like Crazy, a collection of his auto pieces over the years, plus some new stuff. I love when a guy who I completely disagree with on so many political issues can make me laugh hysterically. Brilliant writing and a great read.
LJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #101
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Christopher Moore

I really think Christopher Moore is funny as heck! "A dirty job" was great, beware of the kid when she says "kitty".

His book "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christs Childhood Pal" is also a crack up, provided you aren't insulted by the religious jokes in it. It is a humorous look at what might have happened while Christ was growing up.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #102
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
One of my favorites is Oyster Blues by Michael McClelland. He also wrote Tattoo Blues which was pretty funny although not as much of a giggle as Oyster Blues.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #103
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Not sure if someone has posted this yet (I don't want to wade through six other pages of responses) by the funniest book I've ever read is Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. If you're into deadpan, dry humor, you MUST read it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #104
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I like Neal Stephenson's brand of wit. Although not meant to be humor novels per se, they are very funny throughout most of them.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #105
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJL View Post
I'm reading P.J. O'Rourke's Driving Like Crazy, a collection of his auto pieces over the years, plus some new stuff. I love when a guy who I completely disagree with on so many political issues can make me laugh hysterically. Brilliant writing and a great read.
I looked through this entire thread to see if someone mentioned P. J. O'Rourke. I'll second your choice, LJL! Anything from P. J. is worth your time.

My favourite P. J. O'Rourke quote:

Quote:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
And, of course, anything from Kurt Vonnegut as well ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, funny, humor