Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Sony Light Wedge Shadow?

Today I brought the Sony Light Wedge. I was very happy with it but found it tricky to clean. I tried wet wipes which were not that good. So I decided to use the cloth I got with my glasses. Which was okish.. What I did notice though, was on the left side of the wedge, running from top to bottom, there is a slight shadow of about 4mm. When I lift the wedge up slightly it moves across the page. I presume that it is caused by the left lights? It does not affect reading but is slightly annoying as the rest of the page is perfect. It kind of looks like the left page (4mm line) is wet(well it would if it were real paper)has anyone any idea how I can fix this issue? And has anyone else noticed this?
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
My Sony Light Wedge does this as well. It took me a while to get used to it and find out that though it isn't perfect, it suits my needs.

I was almost going to return it, but after using it for about an hour last night, I realized that I got used to it and now my gf doesn't complain about me having the desk lamp on...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Known issue. I don't like it much either but have mostly gotten used to it. There's a thread on this subject and some have described their attempts to minimize the problem: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26776
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
Interesting that a $70 light has so many "issues" to be worked around. It makes me glad I didn't buy one.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Even with all the "issues" I am glad that I have bought one. It is 100x better than the clip on book light I was previously using.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliencane View Post
Interesting that a $70 light has so many "issues" to be worked around. It makes me glad I didn't buy one.
Some people are very particular. Some people turn the thing on and read. Diversity. That's what makes life interesting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

>Interesting that a $70 light has so many "issues" to be worked around. It makes me glad I didn't buy one.

Other than the shadowing, I'm genuinely curious what you think the other "issues" are?

As someone who went from a Great Point 3-LCD clip-on light to a Mighty Bright to the lightwedge/cover, I would say that they've all had issues of one sort or the other, but the lightwedge is the best and has the fewest issues, IMHO.

And while its not a huge savings, you can get it at Target for $65.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I am still using a PRS500, but feel I am close to buying the 505 and one of these covers with the light built in.

I have a question for those who have been using it -- when I picked up the box, it felt kind of heavy, so I'm wondering how people feel the additional weight of the cover/light is compared to one of the clip-on reading lights?

And one more question -- when not using the light, how is it reading with the cover on? do you simply leave the light-wedge in place over the screen of the reader, or do you take the reader out of the cover?

Thanks for any insights/tips you care to share with me concerning this cover/light.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I am still using a PRS500, but feel I am close to buying the 505 and one of these covers with the light built in.

I have a question for those who have been using it -- when I picked up the box, it felt kind of heavy, so I'm wondering how people feel the additional weight of the cover/light is compared to one of the clip-on reading lights?

And one more question -- when not using the light, how is it reading with the cover on? do you simply leave the light-wedge in place over the screen of the reader, or do you take the reader out of the cover?

Thanks for any insights/tips you care to share with me concerning this cover/light.
I almost always leave the light/lens in place. The only issue I have had with it was the other day I was trying to read outside in the direct sunlight and the sun was directly over head. The light lens is slightly more glossy than the reader screen, so there was a little more glare than without the lens, but all I did was slightly tilt the screen so the glare wasn't directed at my face. Even without the light lens, there is still glare from bright light sources on the reader screen. As far as the weight... It is definitely heavier and a little more bulky, but I didn't mind the extra weight after a little use.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
It only took me a few minutes to get used to the extra weight of the cover. The thickness was the bigger adjustment...probably took about a day. Now I love it.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
acastillo
Enthusiast
acastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-booksacastillo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505, Apple iPad
Versatility

I usually just leave the lightwedge over the screen and read it that way. As someone else said, I have also notice that the wedge tends to make the screen look glossier, which may make it more difficult to read in brighter lights; however, the easy solution is to just swing the wedge out of the way. Presto, no more glossy.

Overall, I use my 505 with the wedge like I use to use hard copy books, which is to say during the day. On the few occasions that I have actually used the light, it was very nice. However, trying to read in bed still bugs my wife. Although the light is directed on the screen, it does still emit enough light that my side of the room looks like a scene from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"-- an eerie glow which is enough like to keep her up.

Overall, the 505 feels heavier, but also studier, with the wedge. Unfortunately for me, I have even dropped the 505 and wedge assembly a couple of times but have had no discernible consequences from my clumsiness.
acastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes it took me a few days. I did not realize the cover completely folded backwards, which really helped A LOT. Also I noticed the keys 0-9 scratch the screen. So now I have to be very careful to open the reader so the screen does not touch the keys.

I'm considering using a hot glue gun on the edges, to hold down the wedge. But I'm a bit nervous. I'll post the results if I have the courage to do so.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #13
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yes - it's heavier and since I read one handed, it is a bit noticeable, and yes, there is a wavey shadow on the left side - not over the print really. But, it is hands down better than the three other clip on lights I had - and the batteries last quiet a long time and since they're AA, I can use rechargeables instead of trying to find a specialty battery that I never had spares of in the middle of the night (I have a recharger set up w/ 2 AA's for the middle of the night battery change - I think I change them once every 2-3 weeks - more towards 3 weeks and read about 1.5 hours or less every night w/ the light on).

Oh, and I don't see how the wedge hits the 0-9 keys - mine doesn't even come close.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
mickitaz
Connoisseur
mickitaz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I know I am late in the game on this thread, sorry. I am looking for a light wedge for my prs-505. I have been unsucessful in my google searches. Can anyone provide me with a link for the one in this discussion?

Or perhaps, does anyone have suggestions for another wedge that would work? Thanks.
mickitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickitaz View Post
I know I am late in the game on this thread, sorry. I am looking for a light wedge for my prs-505. I have been unsucessful in my google searches. Can anyone provide me with a link for the one in this discussion?

Or perhaps, does anyone have suggestions for another wedge that would work? Thanks.
Here's the link:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665480080
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote