Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I have the brightness set to 0, 12, and 24 (full), respectively. I'm satisfied with my screen, no complaints. Though I don't know if my Kindle falls into the category of 'good' Paperwhites.
The third photo shows the text to be very washed out when the light turned up. Is this the way it really is or is it just the way the photo came out?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #227
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The third photo shows the text to be very washed out when the light turned up. Is this the way it really is or is it just the way the photo came out?
It's not washed out at all. I used my phone to take these pictures, so maybe the quality isn't that good.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #228
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Yes, I understand completely what colour blindness is and how it is controlled. This is not what I am talking about. Apparently, the average female eye has more colour receptors for the red spectrum than the average male eye in healthy, normal humans. If I find the time I will search out a reference and post.
I don't believe this is true, but if you do find a reference I'd be interested to read it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #229
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly true that red-green colour blindness (by far the most common type) is far more common amongst men than women, affecting around 8% of men and only about 0.5% of women. The reason for this is that it's carried by the X-chromosome, of which men have only 1, but women 2, and a woman will only suffer from the condition if both her X-chromosomes have the genetic defect.
The first person that I ever met, with color blindness, was a female classmate. It was during our health class, when she found out that she was color blind. We thought she was joking around, when she said, she "couldn't see it." Then the teacher showed a test that only she could see, and the rest of us, couldn't see it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #230
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
No, it's not colour blindness I'm talking about. If I remember correctly, it is that women actually have more colour receptors for reds. I read it in one of those small articles in Scientific American a few years ago.
I didn't know about red, in particular, but I have read that in general women's senses are better. I believe it's based on us having less physical strength, so we rely on sharp, early senses to alert us of danger.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #231
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe this is true, but if you do find a reference I'd be interested to read it.
I'm curious myself. It's entirely possible that I have misremembered the whole thing and it is something hypothetical, such as the tetrachromacy as mentioned by meeera above. It's also possible that it was something I read in a newspaper however I am generally skeptical when reading science news in newspapers (even reputable ones) as the articles are usually so truncated and superficial that they are close to being untrue.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #232
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I just wanted to show a relatively blank page.

After taking the pic, I saw that. It's not ghosting, it's part of the page.

Cranking up the light only makes it worse, but ok.

Here's 2nd try, by popular demand.
I felt oversaturation was somehow working here and if you look at the 2nd picture, with the "Kindle" showing at the bottom, it's sort of glowing orange, which does indicate oversaturation of the image.

I have mildest pink and blue-green if I turn off all the lights and look for them. They are almost unnoticeable since I left the Kindle exposed to the air for a few days.

I leave mine at 14-15 day/night but sometimes it's easier on the eyes in pitch black if I put it to 11-12.

I think the trick is to make it 'whiter' without letting it glow as that is not great on the eyes even if it's "reflective."

In any light but an unlit room, it's beautiful, in my case. But without lights on in the room, you can see mild discolorations (or you can just decide to read, which means they tend to not be noticed in my case).

There IS apparently a quality-control issue though since some have received a couple of them and one is seen as a problem and the other not but it's rarer the last couple of weeks, in my reading.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #233
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I'm curious myself. It's entirely possible that I have misremembered the whole thing and it is something hypothetical, such as the tetrachromacy as mentioned by meeera above. It's also possible that it was something I read in a newspaper however I am generally skeptical when reading science news in newspapers (even reputable ones) as the articles are usually so truncated and superficial that they are close to being untrue.
Tetrachromacy makes sense in this case, as the blotches intensify in low light. Funny that the article mentions the need to test individuals and confirm the percentage of tetrachromats - Amazon could just donate their defective Paperwhites to Research - one look and you'd know if you have it or not

This subject is getting more and more intriguing!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote