Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Kindles yet to woo University users

"Kindles yet to woo University users"

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2009/09/28/23918/
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
“I hate to sound like a Luddite, but this technology is a poor excuse of an academic tool,” said Aaron Horvath ’10, a student in Civil Society and Public Policy. “It’s clunky, slow and a real pain to operate.”
Wonder if Mr. Horvath is a member of MR

On a more serious side, I would have to agree with most of the critique in the article. I don't think e-readers are mature enough to replace textbooks in education yet. Give them another 10 years to develop and I think it's a whole different ballgame though.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
These responses are pretty much what one would expect - given the DX's current clunky keyboard & minimal/missing PDF support. But I did read in an earlier article a quote from "an Amazon spokesperson" that Amazon intended to use these academic trials to gather information/suggestions for further development of the DX - waiting for feedback from both students & teachers - before developing a second generation DX. I tend to think Amazon is also waiting to see what the competition (esp. Sony & iRex) would come out with for their large screen models.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A non-touchscreen device can never be a replacement for pen and paper (or books and paper). The need to annotate, highlight, underline, etc, is just too big.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Part of it is merely the lack of good academic content. I really have yet to run across any that will work with a dedicated device.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Part of it is merely the lack of good academic content. I really have yet to run across any that will work with a dedicated device.
Which may well be due to the inability of most popular eBook formats to faithfully reproduce the necessary complexity of academic textbooks.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
marking up texts

I never understood why some people marked up their text books. Some people it seemed would highlight the entire page, what is the point of highlighting that much!

I never wrote in the margins, and other than throwing in sticky notes to mark pages that I needed to go back to I didn't really do anything other than reading textbooks.

For me as a student I don't think it would be a problem using a ereader with a dictionary lookup feature, bookmarking capabilities and the ability to select the chapter from a content menu. The other item holding ereader back from universities I think is the ability to display pictures, or lack thereof.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've used e-textbooks for about 3 years now, and never with any problem. I used them on my laptop (which did cause some eye strain), but all my highlighting tools where there, and a full keyboard meant I could take notes on the fly or copy/paste into a text file. These wouldn't really hold up well on a Kindle unless I had unlimited highlighting capabilities.

The biggest pro: text searching. Nothing beats it when you need to look up a keyword.
The biggest con: page turns. I still can't get used to not being able to flip back a page or two with ease. Something about my method of studying that just doesn't mesh well with ebooks.

My husband just used my K2 last week when he had to read a management style book (not a textbook) for class and do a write-up about it. He found it particularly easy because he could highlight easily. In this case, there was no real reason to take additional notes, so that wasn't an issue. Since we purchased the book from Amazon, he then logged into my account online and was able to just print out all his highlights on a one-page document that he used for easy reference when writing the paper. He was simply stunned by how much easier this made his work.

EDIT to add: the only reason he had to log onto my Amazon account to print out the notes was because I had taken back my Kindle and he was out of town on business and had some down time. Otherwise he could have just accessed the Clippings file on the device itself. In this instance, buying from Amazon worked to our advantage.

Last edited by queentess; 09-28-2009 at 11:53 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Which may well be due to the inability of most popular eBook formats to faithfully reproduce the necessary complexity of academic textbooks.
What about using PDF? Most of the ebooks offered at my school bookstore are in obscure formats, when ADEPT PDF's are an option that would very much work. Whether it would look good on the reader is a different question entirely.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I am glad some of these opinions are getting press. I wouldn't even consider using my Sony for any scholarly work, though I'm not surprised some folks are capable of stomaching it. Perhaps in another generation or five of devices...but certainly not now.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
What about using PDF? Most of the ebooks offered at my school bookstore are in obscure formats, when ADEPT PDF's are an option that would very much work. Whether it would look good on the reader is a different question entirely.
Depending the content, the 6" screen may be too small to properly set the content period.

But yes, PDF's are an option... but if they are not custom-made for the readers' display size(s), they are (rightly) not a viable product for those with eBook reading devices.

Also... for some bizarre Twilight Zone reason, today most publishers who take commercial eBooks seriously use something other than PDFs despite the result looking like ... well ... like what it looks like.

- Ahi
Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
I'm still trying to figure out how a student might cram for a test, you know, sprawled out on a bed with three or four or five text books open, flipping madly between them, matching the various annotated/highlighted passages against their notes and thier memory...
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how a student might cram for a test, you know, sprawled out on a bed with three or four or five text books open, flipping madly between them, matching the various annotated/highlighted passages against their notes and thier memory...
In a more dignified manner, if vastly less effectively. Should be good practice though for taking that "F" in dignity!

- Ahi
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
This is where I found ebooks to be quite a bit superior to regular textbooks. If you take notes as you read (which I didn't do) or highlight within the ebook relevant passages (which I do), then you'll have no problem. I never highlighted as I read with regular textbooks, but the ease is there with ebooks (plus I don't feel dirty for marking in the text...) If the prof warns about something on the test and you've never heard the word before, it's easy to do a keyword search and read about it.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
This is where I found ebooks to be quite a bit superior to regular textbooks. If you take notes as you read (which I didn't do) or highlight within the ebook relevant passages (which I do), then you'll have no problem. I never highlighted as I read with regular textbooks, but the ease is there with ebooks (plus I don't feel dirty for marking in the text...) If the prof warns about something on the test and you've never heard the word before, it's easy to do a keyword search and read about it.
Admittedly my device does not have the magic abilities of yours. All I can do is bookmark... :-/ So good points for those with an eBook device that supports user annotations.

- Ahi