Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #76
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Lespaul:

I'm one of those who "only wants to read pros[e]", but I'd hardly call myself a "standard customer", in that I take my prose-reading sufficiently seriously that I want it optimised to my tastes, particularly in terms of preferred font & reading software. For that reason, I'm perfectly happy to pay a not-insubstantial premium over the monoculture price for a more flexible device.

On the other hand, I know that there's a good chance that I'll be upgrading again in a couple of years time (most probably to something with a plastic-substrate screen that weighs half as much as my i62HD), so I'm also more price-sensitive, and less risk-averse, than somebody who expects to keep the same eReader for the next decade.

This therefore puts me roughly halfway between the EU-priced independents and the monoculture-priced "standard customer". If I can get an independent at less-than-EU prices, I'll upgrade more frequently (as I recently did). If not, I'll still buy independent, but simply upgrade less frequently (and would have stayed with my PB360 until more new features came in).
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #77
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Insane? Yes and no. The European market for eReaders seems to have been decoupled from the US/international market for some time. I noticed this when I bought my first eReader (a Pocketbook 360) a couple of years ago. Although most of the online retailers were European, by far the cheapest was American (though I think PB have since withdrawn from the American market).

I had the same experience with my i62HD -- buying it direct from China was considerably cheaper than any of the European retailers.

I don't know what source this apparent pervasive price differential arises from (tax, regulatory costs, differentiated distributor pricing, etc?), nor whether it will survive the entry of the larger loss-leading/eBook-retailer-attached players into the European market (nor whether its demise will likewise lead to the demise of independent eReader brands).
Not only e-readers, but most of the goods are cheaper in US than in EU. And most of the goods are cheaper in "western" EU than in Central and Eastern EU. And I do not mention China....

The thing is that the goods often costs the money people are willing to pay. And EU people probably accept higher price than US ones. And also, there might be difference in taxes and also EU warranty is 2 years US only 1, I guess.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #78
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
new video:

http://armdevices.net/2012/10/17/ony...te-competitor/

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #79
Illudrium
Illudrium began at the beginning.

Device: none
How likely is it that they will release an "updated" version soon?
I'm asking because I don't want to spend my money only to find out that in the next few months they'll release something with a few minor revisions.

Last edited by Illudrium; 10-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Illudrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #80
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illudrium View Post
How likely is it that they will release an "updated" version soon?
I'm not an Onyx-insider, but my best guess is that they've stuck everything into the i62 frame (HD display, light) that they're likely to.

My suspicion is that the next iteration will be a major one with lighter/tougher plastic substats leading to a slimmer/lighter frame.

Can anybody think of a (broad appeal) new feature that wouldn't necessitate a new frame?

Update: I see from this post that Onyx is planning an update with a faster processor.

Last edited by Hrafn; 10-25-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #81
Illudrium

Quote:

Update: I see from this post that Onyx is planning an update with a faster processor.
I knew it was too good to be true... Why can't they just release ONE solid device for an extended period of time instead incrementally "updating" and fixing these incomplete products?!?! It seems like before they even finish the product, they've already planned the next one.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #82
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
I knew it was too good to be true... Why can't they just release ONE solid device for an extended period of time instead incrementally "updating" and fixing these incomplete products?!?! It seems like before they even finish the product, they've already planned the next one.
Release-with-a-slightly-faster-processor isn't that unusual (in computing at least), and may simply reflect supply economies (prices of newer, faster processors tending to fall, making them more economic) and/or availabilities (easier to get newer CPUs than older nearing-obsolescence ones). And I don't honestly expect a 800MhZ->1GHz change to make a noticeable difference.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #83
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I agree with you in most things, just a small note. 800 to 1000 change in CPU speed means 25% more. It should be notiaceble...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #84
Illudrium

Quote:
Release-with-a-slightly-faster-processor isn't that unusual (in computing at least), and may simply reflect supply economies (prices of newer, faster processors tending to fall, making them more economic) and/or availabilities (easier to get newer CPUs than older nearing-obsolescence ones). And I don't honestly expect a 800MhZ->1GHz change to make a noticeable difference.
So why didn't they just wait to release a 1Ghz firefly?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #85
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I agree with you in most things, just a small note. 800 to 1000 change in CPU speed means 25% more. It should be notiaceble...
Yes, it would be noticeable, if you time system/book loading speeds (most people don't). The main effect will be page transitions going from near-instantaneous to slightly-more-nearly-instantaneous. Yes, more-speed-is-always-better, but a 25% improvement is hardly a major selling point (and according to Moore's Law, is the level of improvement expected every 6 months). Speaking for myself, I generally don't factor speed improvement into a replacement decision unless and until the speed doubles.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #86
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
So why didn't they just wait to release a 1Ghz firefly?
We may never know what actually happened, but I can think of at least a few possible scenarios.

Supply side scenario: after settling the specs for the (initial) Firefly release, their buyer discovered that there was little price differential between 800MHz & 1GHz, so opted for the latter for their next parts purchase.

Corporate planning scenario: they always planned to upgrade their CPUs to the fastest available at a reasonable price (basing forecasts on Moore's Law) to something approximating: 800MHz for now, 1GHz for in 6 months time (i.e. currently on the drawing board), and quite possibly 1.25GHz for 12 months time & 2GHz for 24 months time. Such a production-planning cycle would ensure that their products remain at the (moving) price/performance sweet spot.

Demand side scenario: Onyx has a fairly pronounced tendency to customise hardware to distributors requirements (amount of memory, SD/HD, audio/no audio). It's quite possible that a distributor asked them to price a 1GHz i62, they gave a quote, and the distributor accepted it.

Conclusion: given the highly dynamic nature of the computer-based hardware market, it is completely unreasonable to expect product specifications to remain fixed-in-stone for any appreciable amount of time. Expecting a small player like Onyx (whose main competitive advantage is nimbleness) to do so is asking them to compete with one hand tied behind their back. If you want regular product rollouts, then buy a Kindle!

Personal take: the fact that Onyx will release an incrementally faster product in a few months time does not make my (newly-purchased) i62HD any less of a fantastic purchase. However it does mean that (assuming that Onyx continues its continuous & timely upgrades to the newest stable & cost-effective tech) that my next eReader is more likely to be an Onyx as well than would otherwise be the case. It was Pocketbook's failure to keep up with the curve that drove me here in the first place.

Last edited by Hrafn; 10-29-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Personal take
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #87
Illudrium

Quote:
We may never know what actually happened, but I can think of at least a few possible scenarios.

Supply side scenarios: (i) after settling the specs for the (initial) Firefly release, their buyer discovered that there was little price differential between 800MHz & 1GHz, so opted for the latter for their next parts purchase. (ii) (more forward-looking scenario) They always planned to upgrade their CPUs to the fastest available at a reasonable price (basing forecasts on Moore's Law): 800MHz for now, 1GHz for in 6 months time (i.e. currently on the drawing board), and quite possibly 1.25GHz for 12 months time & 2GHz for 24 months time. Such a production-planning cycle would ensure that their products remain at the (moving) price/performance sweet spot.

Demand side scenario: Onyx has a fairly pronounced tendency to customise hardware to distributors requirements (amount of memory, SD/HD, audio/no audio). It's quite possible that a distributor asked them to price a 1GHz i62, they gave a quote, and the distributor accepted it.

Conclusion: given the highly dynamic nature of the computer-based hardware market, it is completely unreasonable to expect product specifications to remain fixed-in-stone for any appreciable amount of time. Expecting a small player like Onyx (whose main competitive advantage is nimbleness) to do so is asking them to compete with one hand tied behind their back. If you want regular product rollouts, then buy a Kindle!
Well, my status now equals told. I guess my mentality is this way since I keep reading on here that Onyx frequently releases new m92 models just to quickly discontinue support of previous ones, and continues to revise software without solving key issues. This has left me very cynical.
All things taken into consideration, do you think that if I were to by the firefly now, that my device would be severely behind upon the release of the updated model? This is my main concern since I don't want to buy a product that will essentially become a paperweight prematurely.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #88
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Well, my status now equals told. I guess my mentality is this way since I keep reading on here that Onyx frequently releases new m92 models just to quickly discontinue support of previous ones, and continues to revise software without solving key issues. This has left me very cynical.
All things taken into consideration, do you think that if I were to by the firefly now, that my device would be severely behind upon the release of the updated model? This is my main concern since I don't want to buy a product that will essentially become a paperweight prematurely.
Speaking for myself, I base purchasing decisions on current capabilities (and thus current firmware). Any additional updates are simply bonuses, and failure to update does not turn the unupdated device into a "paperweight".

As to whether current (Freestyle-based) hardware will be compatible with firmware updates for newer iterations based upon the Rockchip RK2906, you would probably have to ask Booxter. From what I have read about the ARM ecosystem (where most licensees use ARM's own designs rather than developing their own), it would seem reasonably likely.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #89
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
hi,

I guess you was not reading the Onyx thread carefully. Regarding hardware of M92 - it was not changed since it was introduced one year ago.
Secondly. The permanent improvement of the software is rather the positive side of Onyx. The very first software version was already the best available software combination on the market. If the developers listen to the needs of customers and keep adding new features - in my opinion it is a persuasive precedent.

Regarding plans for faster processor and new bodys - what is wrong on developing of new devices? Company designers have to eat too

Last edited by Booxtor; 10-30-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #90
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
hi,

The permanent improvement of the software is rather the positive side of Onyx.
Ah, but you ignore the fact that this permanent improvement only applies to the M92 and the i-series, and Onyx has forgotten all the promises they made about maintaining other models.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote