Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Add 32 gigs of pocket-sized storage to Kindle Fire & share it

A couple of days ago I wrote about a device that can act as an attached drive to the Kindle Fire, either 16 or 32 Gigs AND share the media on it between three people, smoothly, including their watching 3 different movies (or the same one) at the same time.

I searched for the info here but didn't see that anyone else had posted it yet, so here it is.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2012...ndle-fire.html

Shortcut: http://bit.ly/kw-widrv

It's the Wi-Drive and the app is in the Kindle store as of a few days ago. It's pocketable and about the size the new iPhone.

Edited it this afternoon to include the Maxell AirStash and how it differs from the WiDrive. Would appreciate any added info on either. Thanks!

- Andrys

Last edited by andrys; 01-19-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added info
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
That is nice! The price isn't bad either. It looks much smaller than my passport.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
I've been using a similar WiFi drive - the 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite. I use it among my Fire, Motorola Xoom tablet, a netbook, and a laptop. People have reported issues with it but I haven't had any problems. You can access it either through a Seagate app or a browser and it supports multiple, concurrent users.

I didn't see anything about it on the Kingston's writeup but there is generally a limitation with these devices - because they generate their own local network, you cannot access the Internet when connected to one of these. That's true with the Seagate, don't know on the Kingston.

Dave
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
I've had this on my wish list for a while. I keep waiting for a sale...I know the price is good, I just want a really good deal.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
I have the 32 gig Wi-Drive. Use it for movies. You can connect to internet through it. Have not had any problems with it!

Last edited by yogibare143; 01-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
[url]http://theunofficialkindlefireblog.com/2012/01/kingston-announces-wi-drive-app-for-kindle-fire/[/url

More info on the Kingston
]
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibare143 View Post
I have the 32 gig Wi-Drive. Use it for movies. You can connect to internet through it. Have not had any problems with it!
Can you use it while it's connected to a power source & charging?

Dave
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Secure?

I was impressed by the device until I saw in the user's guide that the WPA/WPA2 passphrase (aka password) must be between 8 and 13 characters. Is this a typo? For minimal security a WPA/WPA2 passphrase must be at least 20 characters. And the maximum is 63 characters, not 13.

If this is not a typo in the UG it makes one wonder if they are concerned about security and what other corners they cut.

Can someone who has one of these check if the 8 - 13 is a typo or not?

kees

Last edited by keeska; 01-20-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Fix typo
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
I was impressed by the device until I saw in the user's guide that the WPA/WPA2 passphrase (aka password) must be between 8 and 13 characters. Is this a typo? For minimal security a WPA/WPA2 passphrase must be at least 20 characters. And the maximum is 63 characters, not 13.

If this is not a typo in the UG it makes one wonder if they are concerned about security and what other corners they cut.

kees
Every device I've used requires 8 or more characters...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm gonna grab one of these soon. It'll be good for the movies and such. Maybe get my coworker to go splitsies with me on it, and share.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

kees

8 to 13 characters for a WPA-PSK key is reasonably safe so long as your pass phrase is comprised of random a-z and 0-9 alphanumeric characters.

There are many experts giving differing opinions on how long a Pre-Shared Key should be and many of them are telling users to use very long pass phrases well above 25 characters all the way up to 64. This has not only caused some confusion among users, but may have also intimidated them from using WPA.

When I was in the Navy I had to use a 16 character system passwords and these were confusing and easily forgotten. In fact, sometimes a longer password is more easily compromised because people get sloppy and write them down.

Anyway, The Wi-Drive works with the Fire as reported by other owners: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=drive

Last edited by obsessed2; 01-21-2012 at 10:34 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSp View Post
Can you use it while it's connected to a power source & charging?

Dave
Have got it to charge while connected. Connect to Wi-Drive then plug into AC charge adapter. Does not work if you plug into computer.
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:

kees
My Samsung Galaxy S2 phone uses wpa/wpa2 and it has only 8 characters.

My wep on my router required 26 and was a horror and is not as secure.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
andrys
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSp View Post
I've been using a similar WiFi drive - the 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite. I use it among my Fire, Motorola Xoom tablet, a netbook, and a laptop. People have reported issues with it but I haven't had any problems. You can access it either through a Seagate app or a browser and it supports multiple, concurrent users.

I didn't see anything about it on the Kingston's writeup but there is generally a limitation with these devices - because they generate their own local network, you cannot access the Internet when connected to one of these. That's true with the Seagate, don't know on the Kingston.

Dave
Dave, I saw that there was an XDA-Developer thread on it, pointing to my blog entry, and I am testing a unit now.

I wrote there that "It provides its own WiFi network to which up to 3 devices can connect but also has an extra element that allows it to use a bridging mechanism to let your Kindle Fire be connected to the Internet and the Wi-Drive at the same time (not possible with the otherwise interesting AirStash with nice features of its own). You can be using media from the Wi-Drive while looking up something on the Net."

It is so straightforward I'm pretty amazed. But am seeing if it recognizes subfolders (the way the Kindle e-readers do when accessing files).
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I also use the 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite with my Fire, Xoom and other devices. I loaded it with video, photos and music -- great device.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote