Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
mjp031
mjp031 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
KOBO Vox Issues

Hi all long time lurker, first time poster

I want to say this forum has been an excellent source of information that has been able to solve some of the issues I am having with my Vox.

However, I just want to share my issues with y'all and see if anyone else is having the same sort of problems. Maybe find a solution that my google-fu has missed.

In no particular order;

1- It does not remember any settings that I put in place. I always have to manually turn on the wifi, change my orientation settings, bookmarks are lost etc etc every time it is powered down.

2- It doesn't remember any changes to the library. I made a mistake importing books and made some duplicate copies. I have tried to erase them and initially they go. However upon power up they reappear clogging up the library. It also does not save a book I bought from the Kobo store, rather it deletes it each power down so i have to re-download it time I start up.

3- When I read that particular book that I have to re-download the ereader stays on until it I turn it off or the battery runs out. It never goes into sleep mode once I start reading that book (IE I place the book down for 20 mins and come back and it is still on).

4-I was testing out the USB storage and moved some files from my laptop over to the Vox. I then later deleted them but they continue to show up.

5- It randomly asks me to re-set-up itself up during usage. Thinking it might solve my problems the first few times I attempted to go through the process. It goes to step 4/5 and then nothing happens. I have to do a forced shut down to get the reader working again.

5- I have tried to do a factory reset via the menu and while the ereader restarts, it doesn't reset anything. I have also done the factory reset using the vol + and when it starts up it tells me something went wrong and to turn it off and try again. I have even disconnected the battery and reconnected it as a last resort. Nothing resets my Vox.

6- The battery doesn't last very long even when I turn down the brightness and turn off the Wifi.

7- Initially I had no problems moving books around with caliber but now Caliber doesn't recognize the device or when it does and I move books over they never show up when I try to import them on my library.

Basically the main issue is the fact that every time I power down it reverts back to another point in time for all settings. Nothing I have done has allowed me to get past this issue.

I have already sent an email to Kobo and am just waiting for a reply.
mjp031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
did you try connecting to the pc and formatting your drive? that appears to act like a factory reset, and wipes clean the sd, afterwards you could go attempt a firmware update again?
Formatting info on post #8 on this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=vox+format

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
mjp031

I don't know how I missed that one. However it didn't work. Everything is still there. I haven't seen that before when formatting...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Better call the Exorcist!
Sounds to me like the thing's haunted!

I guess I've just been lucky. I've had my Vox since Christmas and it seems to be working pretty well except for the "phantom screen on" which Kobo says they already are working on.

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp031 View Post
I don't know how I missed that one. However it didn't work. Everything is still there. I haven't seen that before when formatting...
You may see 3 drives:
The one called "SD" on the vox is the reader memory (on the reader itself), extsd is the Vox's own sd card and there is a third optional sd that can be added (that would be a purchased micro sd that you can put into the slot). Which are you formatting? and do you get the turn on USB storage screen when you plug in the Vox? The one you want to format is the F drive for me (the Vox sd with 5.34 gb capacity)...
Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
mjp031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You may see 3 drives:
The one called "SD" on the vox is the reader memory (on the reader itself), extsd is the Vox's own sd card and there is a third optional sd that can be added (that would be a purchased micro sd that you can put into the slot). Which are you formatting? and do you get the turn on USB storage screen when you plug in the Vox? The one you want to format is the F drive for me (the Vox sd with 5.34 gb capacity)...

I only see the one drive w/ 5.34 gb. I get the turn on USB storage icon and did so before reformatting. I reformatted it twice and nothing has happened.

I have reformatted many a drive in my day and I have never seen anything like this. The information quite literally won't go away. I am perplexed, although I thank you for the help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I thought I was only seeing one drive also with the USB connected because that's the window that popped up. However, after looking more carefully, there were actually three. One was my external microSD card, one was the accessible partition of the internal microSD card, and the third was presumably the system partition of the internal card because I could not access it. (I think when I clicked the third drive letter it said I should insert a disk or something, because Windows couldn't read it.)
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
mjp031

I only have one drive showing as seen in the screen shot below. Unless I am missing something.

http://imgur.com/9k70k
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

how about trying what's in the link in this post from the "I think I bricked my Vox" thread?
credit to terranq for suggesting, hieronymous for the original post...in #2 he explains how he got the vox to go into recovery mode

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=5

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
mjp031

I tried it a few times no dice. I will give it another go in the morning after some rest so I can resist the urge to snap it in half.

Thanks folks!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp031 View Post
3- When I read that particular book that I have to re-download the ereader stays on until it I turn it off or the battery runs out. It never goes into sleep mode once I start reading that book (IE I place the book down for 20 mins and come back and it is still on).
This is normal. Kobo app isn't supposed to go to sleep when a book is open. This is to avoid something going to sleep while someone is in the middle of reading a page.

As for some of your other problems, did you check the date and time? If it is off, this can affect your bookmarks.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
mjp031

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
This is normal. Kobo app isn't supposed to go to sleep when a book is open. This is to avoid something going to sleep while someone is in the middle of reading a page.

As for some of your other problems, did you check the date and time? If it is off, this can affect your bookmarks.
Hmmm this something else is wrong as I have had my Vox go to sleep before with a book open (I just hadn't turned a page in 15 minutes IIRC).

Date and time was one of the first things I checked when I started having issues with the library.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Using Kobo app for reading , the Vox is not supposed to sleep. Other apps might differ. (I have suggested to Kobo a configrable time to sleep while reading, as I have accidentally left mine on all day, with pretty much all other devices I own auto-sleeping)

In any case your Vox has unusual issues. If you can't factory reset or reformat from a computer or otherwise recover, can you exchange it?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
mjp031

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Using Kobo app for reading , the Vox is not supposed to sleep. Other apps might differ. (I have suggested to Kobo a configrable time to sleep while reading, as I have accidentally left mine on all day, with pretty much all other devices I own auto-sleeping)

?
I agree. Every other electronic device I own has a sleep function to preserve battery power. None of them have issues remembering where I was. It seems counter intuitive to not have such a feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

In any case your Vox has unusual issues. If you can't factory reset or reformat from a computer or otherwise recover, can you exchange it?
That is what I will do depending on what Kobo says. Right now I have been kicked up to tech level 2
Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
voxhell
voxhell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
i just got my vox for Christmas , and mine crashed on a page this morning,so i turned it off and then on and now it say Application Launch has unexpectedly stopped . Now Im just waiting to hear back from Kobo. I am seriously considering taking it back and just getting a kobo touch or the blackberry playbook.....so frustrating when your in the middle of a book and have to wait for some rep to call you back its been hours.....
voxhell is offline   Reply With Quote