Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book (ended) - An East End Murder

An East End Murder, by Charles Finch

This is a free pre-order, no description yet.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Hmmm, his other books seem to be Victorian (1860s) murder mysteries set in London. I would guess this is part of that series.

Thanks! That's one of the things I miss about libraries (vs reading on a Kindle) - historical mysteries. You rarely want to re-read them, so buying them is a bit expensive (and not many get published in paperback).

Last edited by JeremyR; 12-16-2010 at 11:59 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks - i hope it IS a victorian murder mystery!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I recently read A Beautiful Blue Death -- the first in the series of Charles Lennox Victorian murder mysteries. There are four released to date. The first was enjoyable on a couple of different levels -- breezy read, likable characters. I plan to read the series.

It seems odd a whole novel would be released for 99¢. I can't locate any further info and I don't really want to pay for an excerpt without knowing anything first.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd guess from the title that it's based on Jack The Ripper since he did his business in the East End of London. Just a guess though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I recently read A Beautiful Blue Death -- the first in the series of Charles Lennox Victorian murder mysteries. There are four released to date. The first was enjoyable on a couple of different levels -- breezy read, likable characters. I plan to read the series.

It seems odd a whole novel would be released for 99¢. I can't locate any further info and I don't really want to pay for an excerpt without knowing anything first.
Why not at least order the Kindle version? It's $0.00 there, not 99 cents (at least, it is here).

I doubt it is more than a novella and probably more like a short story, as several recent free pre-orders from Macmillan have been.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Why not at least order the Kindle version? It's $0.00 there, not 99 cents (at least, it is here).
It's 99 cents in Canada. All of the recent short story pre-orders and a big chunk of the full-length promotional books have been unfree for us at Amazon lately, even though some of the same books have been showing up free at Sony and Kobo. Even those FT Press "Intro and Chapter 1 Free Preview" things are charging.

I kind of wonder what's going on there, but it's probably just their database being glitchy or something and stuff that's meant to be $0.00 not getting marked down far enough, at least in the case of those glorified samples.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
It's 99 cents in Canada. All of the recent short story pre-orders and a big chunk of the full-length promotional books have been unfree for us at Amazon lately, even though some of the same books have been showing up free at Sony and Kobo. Even those FT Press "Intro and Chapter 1 Free Preview" things are charging.

I kind of wonder what's going on there, but it's probably just their database being glitchy or something and stuff that's meant to be $0.00 not getting marked down far enough, at least in the case of those glorified samples.
Or it's the beginning of customized pricing on the ebook side, perhaps. A few of the self-published books that are free in the UK show up as 99 cents to non-UK customers in the US store, I've noticed, also.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

A book description has now been added:

From the acclaimed author of the Charles Lenox series of mysteries, including the Agatha-nominated novel A Beautiful Blue Death, comes a riveting short story of death and detection on the East End.

It’s the end of winter 1865 when Lenox agrees to investigate the death of Phil Jigg, a beloved neighborhood regular, found strangled on Great St. Andrews Street. In a case that takes him through the noisy vendors and pickpockets, the rough-and-tumble back alleys and local pubs of the Seven Dials, Lenox looks for answers in a place that couldn’t feel more foreign from his West End home—and where his presence is anything but welcome. The answer comes in the person of someone so ruthless and brutal that those who could help Lenox are terrified into silence.

A whodunit filled with the kind of brooding atmosphere that led Library Journal to remark, “Readers of Anne Perry should be snatching up Finch’s books and clamoring for more” (starred review of A Stranger in Mayfair), this is a delightfully vivid addition to the Charles Lenox series.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The old link doesn't work anymore. My copy on Kindle for PC wouldn't open and I got the message to redownload. Had trouble finding it in my ebooks via Amazon (finally did) but in the meanwhile I found that the old link is broken. It's also currently 99 cents. It also has a pub. date of Nov.15 2011 for some odd reason.

http://www.amazon.com/An-East-End-Mu...4352699&sr=8-1
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote