Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think it was his point, exactly, but I suppose it's true that most music isn't worth buying to any given person, but different people would have different ideas about which parts were worth buying.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I personally consider a lot of today's rap to be unsuitable for the kids they try to sell it to. Parents need to watch this. A lot of rap is offensive and racist. The problem is that we have censors for network TV. And they won't let things on TV that is a lot more tame then this rap. yet this rap is allowed on TV in for form of some awful video. It's not right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #48
BossHogg
BossHogg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't that rather a subjective judgement? I'm an opera fan, but I'm well aware that many people can't stand it and certainly wouldn't consider it "worth buying". I can't stand "rap" music, but many people consider that worth buying. We all have different tastes, and I'm sure that most music that's commercially published is bought by somebody.
I should have stated it "IMHO".

But the point can also be made that a lot of the music that people download they would not buy anyway. Doesn't excuse it, but I don't believe RIAA's going to get any richer doing this.

BTW, I love opera. And people that listen to opera don't have it rattling out of their car trunks at the stoplights.

Dan <><
BossHogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #49
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
But the point can also be made that a lot of the music that people download they would not buy anyway.
You're saying that if there was music someone wanted, and they couldn't get it for free, that they wouldn't buy it? Come on! If that were the case, there would be no music industry today!

I don't know a lot of people who indiscriminently download gigabytes of music that they've never heard, just hoping that they'll pull a few good ones from the pile. People selectively download what they want, generally based on hearing it first, or being recommended by a peer.

Before the internet, people occasionally experimented by buying new artists and albums, they taped off the radio, or they watched MTV. They were therefore exposed to a lot of music that they would not buy, because it didn't strike their fancy. I haven't gotten the impression that people use download services the same way. They generally cherry-pick their music, ignoring the stuff they don't like. And I think you'd find that most of those people, if denied that music for free, would buy it if they wanted it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WHen Napster first came out, a lot of people shared incomplete CDs. Sales went up 6% because people downloaded tracks they liked and decided they either wanted the CD or another CD from the same artist. The RIAA managed to close down something that was actually making them money.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
WHen Napster first came out, a lot of people shared incomplete CDs. Sales went up 6% because people downloaded tracks they liked and decided they either wanted the CD or another CD from the same artist. The RIAA managed to close down something that was actually making them money.
Isn't that a bit like saying that if a kid steals a Ford, they might like it so much that they'll go out and buy one?

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #52
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's more like that they stole the hubcaps and liked them so much they bought the whole car.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Isn't that a bit like saying that if a kid steals a Ford, they might like it so much that they'll go out and buy one?

It's like try before you buy. And it worked. But the RIAA had their heads so far up their rear that they could not see this.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So are you condoning stealing music, merely because some people who do so also buy legitimate music? Sorry, but to my mind, the crime is not removed or "legitimized" merely because of that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
HarryT, I think it would be worthwhile seeing if more people bought more music after downloading "free" (if "pirated") samples. Several people, including some researchers at places like Harvard, have made that claim. I happen to think it's a plausible claim, after reviewing the research. I suppose it still doesn't negate the fact that the people sharing files are breaking the law, but if the research is correct, the content publishers are really acting against their own interests by pursuing such laws.

Steve, with regard to people downloading songs they don't like, see John Scalzi's (or maybe it was Charlie Stross') discussion of the "gift-giving" economy of file sharing. Some people download content just so they can offer it to others.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #56
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Steve, with regard to people downloading songs they don't like, see John Scalzi's (or maybe it was Charlie Stross') discussion of the "gift-giving" economy of file sharing. Some people download content just so they can offer it to others.
Okay... I did read that, and I guess it's a fair point. However, I believe the people who do this are a small percentage of downloaders compared to people who are just trying to get the music they like. And I still question whether even the mass file offerers are downloading and converting material they don't like, and therefore wouldn't potentially buy. If that were the case, there would be as massive a catalog of non-pop music as popular music (mostly rock and rap) , and that is not the case.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-14-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: sp
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #57
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Hey, Harry, I have a neighbor who plays music so loud that I can't help hearing it. I sure wish he would quite making me steal his music. Now I know why silence is golden - it cost more money to listen to it!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So are you condoning stealing music, merely because some people who do so also buy legitimate music? Sorry, but to my mind, the crime is not removed or "legitimized" merely because of that.
I'm not saying it was legal, I'm saying that sales were up. So instead of learning from the Napster model and say offering sample songs available online at say a low bitrate of 64k they just shut down Napster. They didn't look at the big picture. The big picture was that it was not harming sales at all. It was increasing sales. They could have overlooked things that time while sales were up till sales started to drop and then go after Napster. But trying to shut down something that is making you money is rather silly.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Smile

Quote:
Sounded more like an observation than a value judgment to me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #60
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Easy come easy go. Below is my take on the difference between stealing and buying.

I buy a CD, pay a fair amount of money for it. Too excited to wait to get home to listen so unwrap it in the car and stick it in the player to listen to on the way home. Once home listen to it again in the lounge while looking at the cover art and reading the credits and lyrics (with a magnifying glass these days). Over weeks I get to know the CD and play it when my mood feels right for it, sometimes years and even decades later.

Download a bunch of stuff for free on the net, forget what you have or where it comes from, have so much stuff you are never sure what is what. Never get to know any of it very well and it eventually it goes missing from your hard drive or where ever it was you stuck it.

Stealing is not just about respect for the artist but respect for yourself as well.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote