Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Anybody d/l'd 2.5.2 update for K2 (US)???

I realize that the 2.5.2 for the K2i is floating around out there, but I've only got K2us models. Anyone have the update for that model and willing to post the bin file?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Out of luck

Delphi - I think for now, those with the K2US version are out of luck. Perhaps in the next couple of days, someone will do like Luvmybrat and be able to capture the bin and subsequently post here for us lost K2US souls. For now, sadly, the wait continues.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
I posted this in another thread but I'm posting it here too:

May I make a suggestion. Those of you that removed your hacks and are waiting for the US version or DX versions. Please put your hacks back on.

Here's why:

With the hacks on, the update will download to your Kindle, but because of the hacks it won't install. It will just sit there. You will know it's there because your Kindle will not go to sleep. As soon as I picked my Kindle up and saw that it was on the Home page, I KNEW I had the update (the same thing happened with the 2.3 update) I hooked up my Kindle computer and there it was.

Once it's there, all you need to do is copy it to your computer, upload the file for others to share, then remove the hacks and install the update. It's REALLY easy!
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy4brats View Post
I posted this in another thread but I'm posting it here too:

May I make a suggestion. Those of you that removed your hacks and are waiting for the US version or DX versions. Please put your hacks back on.

Here's why:

With the hacks on, the update will download to your Kindle, but because of the hacks it won't install. It will just sit there. You will know it's there because your Kindle will not go to sleep. As soon as I picked my Kindle up and saw that it was on the Home page, I KNEW I had the update (the same thing happened with the 2.3 update) I hooked up my Kindle computer and there it was.

Once it's there, all you need to do is copy it to your computer, upload the file for others to share, then remove the hacks and install the update. It's REALLY easy!
Great suggestion for those who *have* and *use* hacks on their K2s, but I don't...

Derek
Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I haven't seen reports of anyone with a K2 US getting 2.5.x, but my K2 is hacked and ready to trap the US update if it ever appears.

(although considering I never even got 2.3.3 and just put it on manually tonight, it's unlikely I'll get 2.5.x over wireless)
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yeah, I still have 2.3. Never got 2.3.3 and have not seen 2.5. Why doesn't Amazon just have a download section for updates to Kindles?
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Why doesn't Amazon just have a download section for updates to Kindles?
Because they included an over the air update option on your Kindle itself.

From the home screen, hit [MENU].
Once in the menu screen, select [SETTINGS].
Once in the settings screen, hit [MENU].
The 4th item down the list says "Update Kindle".

When an update is available, you can manually update from there.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Because they included an over the air update option on your Kindle itself.

From the home screen, hit [MENU].
Once in the menu screen, select [SETTINGS].
Once in the settings screen, hit [MENU].
The 4th item down the list says "Update Kindle".

When an update is available, you can manually update from there.
And, *AS I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR QUITE SOME TIME*, Amazon has completely ignored the US versions of the K2!!! Guess that means the 'over-the-air' update option you mentioned *DOESN'T HELP*!!!

Derek
Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Sheebrook
Kindle 2 user since Feb09
Sheebrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 original
i never got 2.3.3 either

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
I haven't seen reports of anyone with a K2 US getting 2.5.x, but my K2 is hacked and ready to trap the US update if it ever appears.

(although considering I never even got 2.3.3 and just put it on manually tonight, it's unlikely I'll get 2.5.x over wireless)
I'm holding mine & my son's original U.S. Kindles at my home near the U.S. border waiting for the update, but I notice that although one of them has the 2.3.3 update, the other one only has 2.3.

How did you put the 2.3.3 update on your K2 manually? Is there a file I can upload? Can I get it from the one that has it?

thanks
Sheebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
marlinwebster
marlinwebster began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheebrook View Post
I'm holding mine & my son's original U.S. Kindles at my home near the U.S. border waiting for the update, but I notice that although one of them has the 2.3.3 update, the other one only has 2.3.

How did you put the 2.3.3 update on your K2 manually? Is there a file I can upload? Can I get it from the one that has it?

thanks
I did a search on this forum for the firmware and downloaded and updated. i tried looking for the link and I can't find it, though I did last night! oy! dig around and if you don't come right, send me a mail to marlin@marlinwebster.com and we'll find a way to get it to you.

M
marlinwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Why doesn't Amazon just have a download section for updates to Kindles?
They do.

Unfortunately, there's nothing there yet for 2.5.x and the 2.3.x files have been pulled given the update to come.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheebrook View Post

thanks
I downloaded 2.3.3 from this link: K2US 2.3. then dropped the .bin into the root of my Kindle using the USB cable and hit Menu/Settings/Update Your Kindle.

After updating to 2.3.3 I had to go get new hacks for it.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote