Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
A must do for ALL iPad Owners who read on it!

Ok I just downloaded stanza to my iPad I had it on my iPhone and loved it!

I'm not yet as happy with any of the reading apps as I was with stanza! But stanza on iPad ain't good it's small or big and blurry via the 2x.

So I used spirit to jailbreak downloaded full force and set it to force stanza to open full screen... And it is PERFECT everything works and it is THE best solution for reading on iPad for me!
Couple of highlights - tiny margins!!! Yay choose from loads of fonts!! YAY connect and get content straight from Calibre YAY!!!!

1. Download spirit jailbreak software for Mac or PC
2. Connect and backup iPad with iTunes
3. Ensure in iTunes that 'auto open iTunes when iPad is connected' box is NOT ticked
4. Close iTunes
5. Open spirit program and press go
6. Disconnect iPad and open cydia app
7. Search in cydia for 'fullforce' click on it and it will auto install
8 go to settings and go into full force option click stanza to on
9. Open stanza!

I'm gonna post a pic in a second of how it looks.

Obviously more detailed instructions are available on net or ask in here.

Last edited by stustaff; 05-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
already discussed

plenty of glitches though, like going into settings.. not worth it imho.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
already discussed

plenty of glitches though, like going into settings.. not worth it imho.
Settings works fine, what makes it not worth it? Everything works...
Old 05-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

changing settings kept glitching out on me and it crashed more than once. ymmv i guess. for me, an app crashes twice and i move on. don't get me wrong. stanza was a good product, still is on the iphone, but it has no future. hopefully something else will come along that meets and surpasses it.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
changing settings kept glitching out on me and it crashed more than once. ymmv i guess. for me, an app crashes twice and i move on. don't get me wrong. stanza was a good product, still is on the iphone, but it has no future. hopefully something else will come along that meets and surpasses it.
I found a graphical glitch in settings when I first go in I can't see everything but going into custom then back to main settings sorts that and then everything can be seen.

Also just found by accident you can still brighten or dim by dragging finger up and down.

Calibre connection works fine too.

Maybe give it another go if you like stanza? I'm not sure why it has no future... For those who have jail broken anyway it isn't really missing any features.
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

because amazon, who purchased lexcycle, killed it. there is no further development on it. there will never be an ipad version and no more iphone versions. infact, the developers and now the last manager have all been moved to other projects or left amazon.

who:
http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/0...neelan-choksi/

why:
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/04/27/...s-the-contest/

1 year later:
http://www.teleread.com/2010/04/28/l...-under-amazon/

Last edited by scottjl; 05-28-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
because amazon, who purchased lexcycle, killed it. there is no further development on it. there will never be an ipad version and no more iphone versions.
Exactly but my point is it doesn't need any development!

It's fine and works good now.maybe you just got unlucky?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
infact, the developers and now the last manager have all been moved to other projects or left amazon.
Marc is still there.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Thanks for posting this. I _love_ stanza on the iPhone, I've missed it on my iPad.

Stanza has been update quite a few times since Amazon bought them. I'm not so sure that even the iPhone development is dead. I agree, though, that Stanza is terrific as is.

This just might be enough of a reason for me to jailbreak my iPad. With OS4 coming so soon I've put it off.

It's basically a tradeoff between the hassle of jailbreaking the iPad or "disinfecting" my books from drm. I actually do like the iBook app reading experience so I'm in the "liberating" camp at the moment.

Well, not me personally, but "a friend of mine".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Thanks for posting this. I _love_ stanza on the iPhone, I've missed it on my iPad.

Stanza has been update quite a few times since Amazon bought them. I'm not so sure that even the iPhone development is dead. I agree, though, that Stanza is terrific as is.

This just might be enough of a reason for me to jailbreak my iPad. With OS4 coming so soon I've put it off.

It's basically a tradeoff between the hassle of jailbreaking the iPad or "disinfecting" my books from drm. I actually do like the iBook app reading experience so I'm in the "liberating" camp at the moment.

Well, not me personally, but "a friend of mine".

Lee

Jailbreaking is no longer a hassle! Spirit takes maybe 30 seconds!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Jailbreaking is no longer a hassle! Spirit takes maybe 30 seconds!
The hassle will be when you have to reset your ipad in order to upgrade to OS4 when it's released.

Still, a full screen Stanza is pretty durn tempting for me.

Nonny
Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
The hassle will be when you have to reset your ipad in order to upgrade to OS4 when it's released.

Still, a full screen Stanza is pretty durn tempting for me.

Nonny
Yeh I don't mind waiting a few weeks till they crack the new version.

stanza is great and the calibre server makes getting content so good.

And the margins on iBooks were not to my liking.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon

I did it. I used the spirit jailbreak and now Stanza is running gloriously on my iPad. I LOVE it! Makes me wonder how LITTLE effort it would take to port iPhone Stanza to iPad Stanza "as is" without any iPad inspired redesign.

My only problem is that any time I change the settings...Stanza bombs out and the settings don't take. This happens with Stanza even when not running in full screen mode.

Anyone have a solution/work around? It's not a deal breaker as I'm only trying to change the theme and page turn speed. Making the fonts bigger/smaller by pinching works. Connectivity to fictionwise works as does my local Calibre server.

Happy happy joy joy!

Lee
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Happy happy joy joy! All I need to do is not be in a book when I change the settings. Doesn't bomb now.

When reading a book I can still change font size and brightness which is all I usually fiddle with. I'm REALLY jazzed about this. The iPad is so much faster than my iPhone 3G, Stanza really flies on the iPad.

Lee
Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
I did it. I used the spirit jailbreak and now Stanza is running gloriously on my iPad. I LOVE it! Makes me wonder how LITTLE effort it would take to port iPhone Stanza to iPad Stanza "as is" without any iPad inspired redesign.

My only problem is that any time I change the settings...Stanza bombs out and the settings don't take. This happens with Stanza even when not running in full screen mode.

Anyone have a solution/work around? It's not a deal breaker as I'm only trying to change the theme and page turn speed. Making the fonts bigger/smaller by pinching works. Connectivity to fictionwise works as does my local Calibre server.

Happy happy joy joy!

Lee
Mine doestnt!
Do you know what version your using? I didn't upgrade my stanza when the upgrade took away USB sync ability.

Seems like my version is more stable.

It's a free app so am I allowed to share it or is there a way to get the older version?