Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
dirtylc
Enthusiast
dirtylc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 (the best one!)
Question creating a foreign language dictionary

My thoughts are the following. I want to create a spanish dictionary for my Kindle. In doing this I am thinking to go about it the following way:

1.) Downloading a google book PDF (Public Domain-yes dated, but free)

2.) Use mobipocket creator or mail service to convert into either azw or non-drm mobi.

3.) Downloading into Kindle internal memory.

Now this is where I am admittedly scared.

4.) Go to settings screen and selecting to change default dictionary.

5.) Selecting my newly reformatted dictionary as the defualt.

Has anyone been able to do it this way? Why would this likely fail? If I come short, how can I adjust it to make it work?
dirtylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the Google ebook is the dictionary, then this isn't sufficient. This is because MOBI dictionaries have a spacial format, typically only available via MobiPocket Creator. See How to create your own mobipocket dictionary for any language:. Even closer to your needs is Converting Encarta Dictionaries to Mobipocket Tutorial, since this starts with a conventional ebook dictionary and makes it into a searchable dictionary.

You may be better off looking for a freely available StarDict (say) dictionary as the starting point, but if starting from a Google ebook the best version would be the ePub which is only available from Sony.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert