Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
lindahervieux
lindahervieux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to make Calibre recognize Mac?

Hello.
I'm trying to send an ebook from Caliber to the Kindle app on my Mac desktop. I can't figure out how to make Caliber recognize the Mac. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 02-27-2012 at 07:55 AM.
lindahervieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Isn't calibre running ON the Mac??

If you're trying to use calibre to send an ebook to the Kindle for Mac application like it's a device, I don't believe it will work that way.

I'd use the "Save to Disk" option to save a copy of the ebook in Kindle for Mac's library folder. Or in Preferences->Behavior, uncheck the boxes for MOBI/AZW, etc... so the default app for kindle files (K4Mac) will be used instead of the calibre viewer. Or use the "Open with" calibre plugin to configure different apps.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Isn't calibre running ON the Mac??

If you're trying to use calibre to send an ebook to the Kindle for Mac application like it's a device, I don't believe it will work that way.

I'd use the "Save to Disk" option to save a copy of the ebook in Kindle for Mac's library folder. Or in Preferences->Behavior, uncheck the boxes for MOBI/AZW, etc... so the default app for kindle files (K4Mac) will be used instead of the calibre viewer. Or use the "Open with" calibre plugin to configure different apps.
would 'Connect to Folder' work here? (Not having a MAC, I will never have this issue )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
would 'Connect to Folder' work here? (Not having a MAC, I will never have this issue )
That would work, too.

...and has the added benefit of teaching me something new.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
lindahervieux

How to connect to foler?

Yes, Caliber is running on the Mac. I used it to convert a non-Kindle ebook. I could access the book on Caliber, but I'd like to use the Kindle app instead. Saving the book to disk isn't working. How do i connect to folder? Thanks.
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindahervieux View Post
Saving the book to disk isn't working. How do i connect to folder? Thanks.
What actually do you mean by that? The Connect to Folder is just a variant of Save to Disk that can be more convenient so it is necessary to know why the Save to Disk is not working before giving better guidance on how to proceed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
lindahervieux

Can't save to disk

I can't find a library folder for Kindle anywhere on my hard drive. I think I should just stick to reading this book on Caliber. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't find a library folder for Kindle anywhere on my hard drive. I think I should just stick to reading this book on Caliber. Thanks.
Well that's a different situation entirely. One of the menu items (I forget if it's 'Help->about', or 'Options') in the Kindle for Mac application will tell you exactly where your library folder is.

But it's usually "Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content" or "Documents/My Kindle Content", depending on your version of Kindle for Mac.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes, Caliber is running on the Mac. I used it to convert a non-Kindle ebook. I could access the book on Caliber, but I'd like to use the Kindle app instead. Saving the book to disk isn't working. How do i connect to folder? Thanks.
Try the Open With plugin (additional user customization will be needed).
That should allow you to call the Kindle App to read the book
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote