Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
daxmon87
daxmon87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Audio books

I have added an audio book to the audible folder in Kindle 3. My question: how can I get the Kindle to play the audio book and at the same time have the actual book opened so that I can read along? (I know it might sound weird, but I like reading along with an audio book. Also, I know the Kindle has voicing capabilities, but I don't like the computer sounding voice).
daxmon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't. It's either an audio book, or a regular book. The controls have to be up on the screen for the audio book, so you couldn't have both that, and the text.

The only workaround is to put the audio book into mp3 files, and put them in the music folder in the order you want to hear them. They will play like background music, but you can't control it other than the stop/start controls for background music.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
It amazes me that no one has tried using the combined technology of ebook readers with good MP3 player controls for language learning. Do I get to patent this idea?
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is software that combines the two. Trying to coordinate two completely unrelated files, from different sources, is virtually impossible. What I mean is, there is nothing in the .mp3 (or whatever) file to mark words so that the same words could be found in the (also unmarked) ebook file.

If the files were encoded to work with each other, or clips of both were displayed together (as the software does), that's a different thing, and perfectly possible.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
dasaint
dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Kindle Touch ,Kindle 3 and PRS500
I have both a Audible account and Amazon account. I followed the steps to merge both accounts.

When I synced my Kindle 3 it synced both me ebooks and Audible books.

Please try this link.

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/3901

Last edited by dasaint; 11-11-2010 at 05:16 AM.
dasaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmon87 View Post
I have added an audio book to the audible folder in Kindle 3. My question: how can I get the Kindle to play the audio book and at the same time have the actual book opened so that I can read along? (I know it might sound weird, but I like reading along with an audio book. Also, I know the Kindle has voicing capabilities, but I don't like the computer sounding voice).
I would suggest using an MP3 player to listen to the audiobook. Then you can get the Kindle edition and read along on your Kindle while you listen to it on your MP3 player.

Perhaps some day Amazon will combine the two functions on Kindle in such a way that you can do it without two devices. But for now, that is not possible.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote