Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Question Sony vs. Kindle 3 screens. Will sony improve in future?

1. Kindle 3 boasts of 50% more contrast. So does that mean all new sony models have contrast like kindle 2? Or they are improving without advertising? What about the compared refresh rates?
2. Will sony improve contrast in future soon? (like 6 months)
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
The Sony PRS-350 and PRS-650 have the exact same screen as the Kindle 3 so the contrast should be the same. I'm not sure about the refresh rate, but my PRS-650 seems to be very satisfactory when compared with a Kindle 2.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I compared the K3 and the Sony 350 side by side and they appear to have the same contrast.

Some people say that the K3's background color is a little lighter than the Sony 350/650, but I couldn't see that difference myself. I am colorblind so it's difficult for me to see the difference between grays.

I didn't like the K3 font at all...it's a strange equal-thickness font that I personally find hard to read. As with all things, YMMV.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I compared the 350 to my Kindle DX Graphite and I didn't see any real screen quality difference. I do think the Kindle uses a slightly bolder font which may contribute to some people perceiving a difference. Comparing the two devices viewing the same pdf file, the quality was the same.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I compared the 350 to my Kindle DX Graphite and I didn't see any real screen quality difference. I do think the Kindle uses a slightly bolder font which may contribute to some people perceiving a difference. Comparing the two devices viewing the same pdf file, the quality was the same.
Since this thread is, generally, about readability I was wondering if some of you folks would do me a favor. I took a text file and turned it into an ebup with all the text bolded and with the line spacing jiggered. It looks good on my Jetbook Lite and was wondering how it would look on a PRS-350. I'll upload the file so that anyone who wants to can see how it looks and give me some feedback. A check of the TOC would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance - John
Attached Files
File Type: epub A Speech By - Crichton_ Michael.epub (46.8 KB, 181 views)
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
1. Kindle 3 boasts of 50% more contrast
Are you so naive to believe it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
50% more contrast than what???? I love ads and the way they get believed... My printer paper has 100% more contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
1. Kindle 3 boasts of 50% more contrast. So does that mean all new sony models have contrast like kindle 2? Or they are improving without advertising? What about the compared refresh rates?
2. Will sony improve contrast in future soon? (like 6 months)
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
50% more contrast than what????
They "boast" 50% more contrast than Kindle 2
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote