Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #31
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Robert Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle and Joan Vinge's Snow Queen are both great reads.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #32
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinwolf View Post
My personal favourite sci-fi books are the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons.
Have you read his Ilium and Olympos books yet? I LOVED them, but I loved the Iliad and Odyssey also. Don't read them if you are unfamiliar with the originals, or at least read the Cliffs notes first.

If you liked Ilium, you may like Walter Jon Williams' Aristoi, also...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #33
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post

If you liked Ilium, you may like Walter Jon Williams' Aristoi, also...

There's another one for my list. You know I finished reading all of my unread books the other day, don't you? It was a weird feeling, but the list is comfortably replenished now. Thanks for the recommendation!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
There's another one for my list. You know I finished reading all of my unread books the other day, don't you? It was a weird feeling, but the list is comfortably replenished now. Thanks for the recommendation!
my unread list is 61 deep, I knocked off 5 in 2 weeks though. and 3 in 7 days
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #35
JBNY
JBNY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel, iPad
If you have not read Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon. Please check it out. It's pretty Hard-Core SciFi cyberpunk, but if gratuitous sex and violence don't bother you it is a very fun book. Also a hugo award nominee.
JBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #36
billy fiddle
billy fiddle began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch - stanza
Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon or Anathem, all by Neal Stephenson, are superb reading. The first and the last have post-apocalyptic tones.

cheers,
bill
billy fiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #37
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sundiver by David BRIn
Starborne by Robert Silverberg
Androids Dream by john Scalzi (also his Old mans was series was one of my favorite reads)

all the books can be found in my librarything in my Signature
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #38
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er
frikk began at the beginning.

Device: sony rs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Here is a smattering of authors i Like, you can find a whole lot more in my library thing in my sig
The Mote in gods Eye =Niven
the Acidental time Machine =Haldeman
Old Mans war =Scalzi
Tunnel in the Sky =Heinlein
the stars my destination =bester

though do check out my library thing, especially the 4 stars and above
Andybaby,
Thanks for the list ::bookmarked::

Curious - how many of the foundation books have you read? Just the first one? (i see you gave it 4/5 stars, where you gave 5 stars to my other favorites: dune, enders game, ringworld, mote in gods eye). It seems you and I have almost identical taste in sci-fi, with the exception that i may be a bit more obsessed with asimov. If you havent read the first 3 foundation books, I'd add them to your to-do list . The first foundation, for me, was right about 4/5 stars as well. I got done and said 'yeah, that was pretty good. not sure what the big fuss was all about though'. Then I finished the second book, and tried to peel my brains off the wall. Same thing with the third book. Everything from the first book doesnt really reach maturity until the next 2 books.

Feel free to disregard this, of course, if you have read them and just didnt like them as much
frikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #39
frikk
Amateur PRS505'er
frikk began at the beginning.

Device: sony rs-505
Check out 'The last question' by Isaac Asimov. its a short story, and available here: http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html (I believe this is a legal copy, seeing as how the domain name itself derives from the story). Also 'Nightfall' by asimov - i havent read the book version, but the original short story is also amazing.
frikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #40
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikk View Post
Andybaby,
Thanks for the list ::bookmarked::

Curious - how many of the foundation books have you read? Just the first one? (i see you gave it 4/5 stars, where you gave 5 stars to my other favorites: dune, enders game, ringworld, mote in gods eye). It seems you and I have almost identical taste in sci-fi, with the exception that i may be a bit more obsessed with asimov. If you havent read the first 3 foundation books, I'd add them to your to-do list . The first foundation, for me, was right about 4/5 stars as well. I got done and said 'yeah, that was pretty good. not sure what the big fuss was all about though'. Then I finished the second book, and tried to peel my brains off the wall. Same thing with the third book. Everything from the first book doesnt really reach maturity until the next 2 books.

Feel free to disregard this, of course, if you have read them and just didnt like them as much
If I read it I would put it on the list, its mostly complete, but I occasionally run into a book I know I read and isn't on the list.

I have yet to read them, and of course the entire series is on my to read list. unfortunately Asimov hasn't hit me as an author that I love yet and have to read yet, especially when I find myself disliking robot books. Foundation and the Empire is on my reader already. Also due to the fact that it takes place over many years and many characters. It doesn't especially make me want to "see where the character goes" it also falls into the short story collection area, where I feel cheated in short stories more often than not, I prefer novel/novella length stories following a single character or group.

Thanks for reminding me about the series though, It just made it to the Near top of the list.

The Second Dune book is on my top read list too, but though I started reading it almost 5 times, I havent made it past the prologue. again due to the fact that it doesn't share too many characters in common with the previous book.

I find it hard to classify my books, as I like alot of what I read to get less than 3 means it left a bad taste in my mouth,

0.5 stars 1
1 stars 1
1.5 stars 1
2 stars 1
2.5 stars 4
3 stars 18
3.5 stars 15
4 stars 25
4.5 stars 11
5 stars 12
Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #41
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham - post apocalyptic
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #42
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I have read a good review of Stephen Baxter's "Flood", and a bit of expectation about it's sequel, "Ark", due this summer.

Did somebody read it?
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #43
Andybaby
Wizard

I havent read "Flood" but the premise is believable, and looks like a very good hard scifi story about it. it got pretty average reviews, but if I were ever in the mood for such a novel, I might want to read it. I'm more into space scifi.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
motormanjh
motormanjh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is an awesome sci-fi. It's a quick read about a teenage girl in a "to the death" competition against other teens. Give it a try.
motormanjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #45
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormanjh View Post
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is an awesome sci-fi. It's a quick read about a teenage girl in a "to the death" competition against other teens. Give it a try.
sounds a lot like "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami, which was a great book, although a bit graphic, so probably not for everyone...
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote