Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
spruce
spruce began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Smile Audio Books

I know I risk being flamed but I would like to ask about audio books. I have calibre for all my e books on my Sony 505. It is such a great programme. I would like to have the same facilities for all my audio books.

Does anyone know of a software programme that does the same job as Calibre but works on audio books?

regards
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Lots of audiobook lovers here. I just store mine in iTunes.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Lots of audiobook lovers here. I just store mine in iTunes.
Yes - iTunes is an excellent "manager" for audiobooks. That's what I use, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
yeah, I use iTunes too. My only complaint is that it points to the files, rather than creating its own database like calibre does, and sometimes it loses the connection, and I have to go hunting for the files and re-load them again. Other that that, it works fine. Of course, I (and husband) use iPods to listen to our audiobooks (and podcasts).
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
iTunes for me too
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I listen to audiobooks on my ipods, so I use iTunes as well. I have thought about adding them as empty books in calibre, for the metadata, but haven't done so yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
yeah, I use iTunes too. My only complaint is that it points to the files, rather than creating its own database like calibre does, and sometimes it loses the connection, and I have to go hunting for the files and re-load them again. Other that that, it works fine. Of course, I (and husband) use iPods to listen to our audiobooks (and podcasts).
iTunes will create its own copy of the file if you tell it to. Look under the advanced tab in preferences. The file will then be copied into the iTunes folder.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use MediaMonkey
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
iTunes will create its own copy of the file if you tell it to. Look under the advanced tab in preferences. The file will then be copied into the iTunes folder.

That's good to know - my audiobooks seem to be put all over my computer, as I changed my filing system from one year to the next, so really, I have no system at all except to put my Audible books into a folder called, simply, Audible.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I listen to audiobooks on my ipods, so I use iTunes as well. I have thought about adding them as empty books in calibre, for the metadata, but haven't done so yet.
I use both iTunes and calibre. Many of the audiobooks I listen to are library loans, so I create empty books in calibre to keep track of what I've listened to.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Me too! A great free program. It does podcasts too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Of course you do!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most of my audiobooks are borrowed from the library. I use the iPod Touch Overdrive app to listen to them, (awesome app for audiobooks!) then delete them as soon as I am done with them. The WAV files get transfered to my iPods (mostly the nano) as well, then removed. I try to avoid those, since the audio quality is horrible and the transfer too much of a hassle.

I have a few audible books as well, since I got them for a special price along with my kindle books, and use the audible app for them.

In order to track what I listened to, I add them all to my Goodreads book lists.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
(awesome app for audiobooks!)
It is except you're limited to MP3 audiobooks only. My library only has about 4,000 MP3 titles while they have voer 13,000 WMA titles.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

^ Microsoft is to audiobooks what Adobe is to ebookss: A major pain in the butt!

My libraries have most of what I want in MP3, luckily, and the rest gets loaded to my iPods via USB accompanied by a lot of cursing.

ETA: I can't even see how many WMVs my libraries have - I guess Overdrive does not want me to know if I browse from an iPad- how idiotic is this?!

Last edited by xendula; 01-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It is except you're limited to MP3 audiobooks only. My library only has about 4,000 MP3 titles while they have voer 13,000 WMA titles.
This is why I own a Sansa Clip Zip. My libraries own mostly WMA books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote