Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
need input re 3G v Non-3G device

I've preordered the new kindle touch 3g, now I'm having second thoughts whether I really need the 3g.

I have in my hand the $79 kindle version (my first kindle). The only reason I wanted the 3G is to be able to lookup words using Wikipedia and Google Web on the go. I can't do this with the $79 device. It doesnt have the option.

Will I be able to lookup words on wiki using the 3G connection for free?.

Is the only benefit for having a 3G is to buy books on the go? I love sending personal documents to my kindle. But doing it using 3G has a small fee.
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't use Google via 3G, only wikipiedia and the Kindle store on the Kindle Touch (it is different on the Kindle Keyboard, formerly known as the K3). Wikipedia is free.

3G is worth it for me, to be able to download a new book almost anywhere. It may not be worth it to you, especially if you often have access to wi-fi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
3G is definitely worth one time payment of $50. It lets you get books when you otherwise couldn't.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
DonalDuck
The Changer
DonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-booksDonalDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Does K3 (Keyboard) 3g work outside wikipedia and amazon store if not in the US?
DonalDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
FauxTaimer
FauxTaimer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
K3 works unrestricted for now. Unknown on if it will continue to work once Touch is released but all signs point to yes, it will work. Touch is restricted to wikipedia and amazon.
FauxTaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you don't have wifi readily available, get 3G. While you can side-load content (with a computer etc.), you'll miss out on what 'whispernet' offers in terms of social features, annotation backup, archiving, etc., not to mention subscriptions you might want to have (such as free Amazon Daily).

It's not so much about convenient access to Kindle Store, though that's part of it, but if your Kindle doesn't 'connect' with some regularity, it isn't really the same experience.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
etc., not to mention subscriptions you might want to have (such as free Amazon Daily).
free amazon daily? not sure I've heard of it. How do you subscribe?
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcapili View Post
free amazon daily? not sure I've heard of it. How do you subscribe?
It's one of several free blogs Amazon puts out:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Daily/d...7865164&sr=1-1

There are links to the others here:
http://www.amazon.com/Blogs-Kindle-S...d_i=2735187011

These are mostly single-topic versions of Amazon Daily, as far as I can tell.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote