Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
shinta86
shinta86 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre not transferring metadata to Nook

Most of my books are in epub and when I transfer them to the nook the title and author doesn't transfer on alll my books. It does on some but not others.
shinta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
jdavis72
jdavis72 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinta86 View Post
Most of my books are in epub and when I transfer them to the nook the title and author doesn't transfer on alll my books. It does on some but not others.
Same here. And not just epub's, but pdf's also. All metadata is fine in the calibre library on my computer, and when I mount my Nook, most of my books (both on the nook, and in the flash card) is also fine, but not all. I've tried converting from/to pdf and epub. Besides, the conversion not being perfect, it didn't fix the metadata issue.

I just took my Nook apart to look into the internal memory, but near as I can tell, the metadata, etc. is all kept in an sqlite database. It's bedtime, so I haven't got time to mess with it. Maybe later. If someone else has an idea, I'd love to hear it.
jdavis72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre doesn't know about an sqlite database for the nook, and puts nothing in it. That would make an excellent project for someone. I would consider it, but I don't have a nook, and couldn't buy one here if I wanted one.

In the meantime (and it may be a long meantime), to get any metadata, the nook must be parsing file names. I suggest you look at the names that work and don't work to see if you can detect a consistent difference. Then, if possible, adjust the save template so that the 'correct' string is always generated. As a random guess, I would suspect that if series information is included in the file name, the nook wouldn't know what to do with it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
jdavis72
jdavis72 began at the beginning.

Just a quick update (sorry it's taken so long): I have found that the metadata is not updated only for pdf's; epub files are fine. In order for the nook to recognize the metadata, it has to be set in the pdf properties itself. Calibre is not modifying the pdf properties inside the file. By using Acrobat Distiller, I can modify the pdf properties (author, title, etc.), and the nook will read this info properly. So if Calibre will ever be able to do this would be great.
jdavis72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis72 View Post
Calibre is not modifying the pdf properties inside the file. By using Acrobat Distiller, I can modify the pdf properties (author, title, etc.), and the nook will read this info properly. So if Calibre will ever be able to do this would be great.
Calibre updates pdf properties (author, title, etc.) by default during both Save to Disk and Send to Device. If yours aren't being updated, you've either turned off the pdf metadata update plugin, or you have a pdf that the plugin can't handle. Calibre relies on a 3rd party pdf library for this function (PoDoFo), and it has some known problems. We're waiting for an update to fix those problems. In the meantime, Acrobat or Acrobat Distiller should work.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert