Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Sony just sent me an e-mail which did not answer the question of whether the warranty of a Canadian-bought T-3s will be honored in the U.S. (moot or not, I'd still like to know), but did say the following:

"... You will be able to do that [buy in Canada and use in U.S.] but will only be able to purchase and transfer the books using the computer not through the Reader directly. When accessing the Reader Store through the device itself it is possible that it will only display the Canadian Store. However, you may use the Reader for PC program in the computer to make the purchases and transfer them to the device."

Being the persistent persnickety type, have asked the warranty question again, but am not holding my breath for an answer.

Also, if Sony's library access is due to an exclusive contract with Overdrive, does that mean the contract is ending? Hmmm... Perhaps there's hope for other ereaders in the future?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re: warranty, just got the following message from Sony:

"I'm sorry the previous email did not resolve your concern regarding the service for the PRST3. If the unit requires service it would need to be fixed in Canada in order to have the correct warranty status. If the service is done in US then the device is automatically out of warranty. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Long live my T-1!

Plumadona
Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I had only used Sony Readers until last year when I switched to a Kindle PW. I was a Sony customer since the PRS-500 first came out, and owned a 500, a 505, a 600, a 350, and a T1. I switched to Amazon for several reasons, most of which had to do with available content in Spanish and high a quality Spanish language dictionary (not a translating dictionary). But, I also have to say that the release of the T2 was another reason. Given the competition, it seemed to be lack-luster, at best.

In any case, the switch to Amazon was painless. Calibre along with Apprentice Alf, made converting my content trivial. Now whenever I buy a book, I remove the copy protection, import it into Calibre, convert it if required, and read it on any device I want. The Kindle PW is an excellent reader and you really can't go wrong with one, in my opinion.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Sony just sent me an e-mail which did not answer the question of whether the warranty of a Canadian-bought T-3s will be honored in the U.S. (moot or not, I'd still like to know), but did say the following:

"... You will be able to do that [buy in Canada and use in U.S.] but will only be able to purchase and transfer the books using the computer not through the Reader directly. When accessing the Reader Store through the device itself it is possible that it will only display the Canadian Store. However, you may use the Reader for PC program in the computer to make the purchases and transfer them to the device."

Being the persistent persnickety type, have asked the warranty question again, but am not holding my breath for an answer.

Also, if Sony's library access is due to an exclusive contract with Overdrive, does that mean the contract is ending? Hmmm... Perhaps there's hope for other ereaders in the future?

Um...the Indian rep that answered you doesn't know what they're taking about. The device will allow you to buy from the US Sony store because you're going to set the location as in the US. The one I played with in the store are set to the US so the person is very wrong.

Yes I did catch the "it is possible that" part but come on, really dum answer!

Maybe because the device isn't sold in the US is why there wouldn't be a warranty with Sony US but I'd like to read the paperwork for the ones up here to see what it says. They usually always say, US & Canada so....who knows.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Like you, given that Sony has abandoned the US market, I have decided to try another manufacturer since I need an additional reader. The claim is that if one uses Calibre then upon downloading a file from Amazon, it can be converted to the industry standard of ePub and then uploaded onto an ePub e-reader like the Sony e-readers. But be warned. My experience is that unless you own a Kindle, Amazon will not provide a path for which you can download the file. Without a registered Kindle, you must read the book on the computer, defeating the purpose of an e-ink reader.

In short, another reason for one to avoid Amazon.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
SoCalReader
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I had only used Sony Readers until last year when I switched to a Kindle PW. ...

In any case, the switch to Amazon was painless. Calibre along with Apprentice Alf, made converting my content trivial... .
Which I suspect was true given that you purchased a Kindle. My experience so far is that if you don't own one, it sits in the Kindle cloud and can't be downloaded.

Another reason to stick with Kobo, Google, etc...
Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
My experience is that unless you own a Kindle, Amazon will not provide a path for which you can download the file. Without a registered Kindle, you must read the book on the computer, defeating the purpose of an e-ink reader.
I have only Sony Readers, and have purchased Kindle books for the free Kindle reader for PC. Once the books are downloaded, you can find them on your HDD, run them through calibre to convert to epub, and load them onto an epub reader.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I just ran across an article saying that shopEreaders is carrying the T3. Unfortunately, it's $180. Not good, considering that the Canadian Sony store has them for $130...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
The claim is that if one uses Calibre then upon downloading a file from Amazon, it can be converted to the industry standard of ePub and then uploaded onto an ePub e-reader like the Sony e-readers. But be warned. My experience is that unless you own a Kindle, Amazon will not provide a path for which you can download the file. Without a registered Kindle, you must read the book on the computer, defeating the purpose of an e-ink reader.
As Phil_C states, you don't need to onw a Kindle, you just need to use the Kindle for PC (or Kindle for Mac) app and that downloads the books onto your computer. You can then let Apprentice Alf do his stuff along with Calibre and you can then read the book on your Sony.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
SoCalReader
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
As Phil_C states, you don't need to onw a Kindle, you just need to use the Kindle for PC (or Kindle for Mac) app and that downloads the books onto your computer. You can then let Apprentice Alf do his stuff along with Calibre and you can then read the book on your Sony.
Thanks for the tip to BOTH OF YOU!!. I was not given this option when I tried reading the book or downloading it. Instead, the option is to read off the web browser on the cloud. I suspect this is the path that Amazon will push for.

Last edited by SoCalReader; 09-30-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: To thank multiple posters
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Thanks for the tip to BOTH OF YOU!!. I was not given this option when I tried reading the book or downloading it. Instead, the option is to read off the web browser on the cloud. I suspect this is the path that Amazon will push for.
Probably because you didn't read that you could download the Kindle for PC/Mac program to your PC in the first place and then download the books to it. The options are there if you read them.

If you don't have Kindle for PC/Mac then the choice to download it to your computer simply wouldn't be there now would it?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #27
SoCalReader
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Probably because you didn't read that you could download the Kindle for PC/Mac program to your PC in the first place and then download the books to it. The options are there if you read them.

If you don't have Kindle for PC/Mac then the choice to download it to your computer simply wouldn't be there now would it?
Here is the situation I faced trying to purchase from Amazon.

I buy a Kindle book. It tells me to go to the "manage your books". There are no options to download a "Kindle for PC/Mac" program on the webpage. Unlike Google and other bookstores, there is no option to download the file. Sony, Kobo, etc. don't care if I have a e-reader or not. I can download the files. In fact, to read the book, Amazon says I should install the Kindle cloud reader on my browser, which I do. So how should I know that a completely separate application is available for PC/Mac. Indeed, what is the point of the PC/Mac application if one has a cloud reader in the browser?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Here is the situation I faced trying to purchase from Amazon.

I buy a Kindle book. It tells me to go to the "manage your books". There are no options to download a "Kindle for PC/Mac" program on the webpage. Unlike Google and other bookstores, there is no option to download the file. Sony, Kobo, etc. don't care if I have a e-reader or not. I can download the files. In fact, to read the book, Amazon says I should install the Kindle cloud reader on my browser, which I do. So how should I know that a completely separate application is available for PC/Mac. Indeed, what is the point of the PC/Mac application if one has a cloud reader in the browser?
Some people have older kindles without web browsers or want to read while camping far away from the internet. Some people read on their PC or Mac or other device.

You are right about the option being a bit hard to find. Used to be on the buy book or kindle page IIRC.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post

I think the above is just a guess.

Sideloading library books is very easy BTW. You can do it

If you have a Canadian friend or relative you could use PayPal with Futureshop and have them forward it. I am pretty sure you won't need the warranty but you could hopefully mail it to Canada if you did.

I haven't seen the T3 yet as I am not near any stores except for a little weeny grocery store, but I will be in a day or so. I will maybe buy one. I have an Aura HD and don't like it, so will probably sell it. I am happy enough with the T1, but the T3 looks nice. I am hoping for a big sale before Christmas and/or one packaged with the lighted cover.

If you want to get your feet wet with a Kobo, maybe buy a mini. They are very cheap and while a little buggy, seem better than the HD. Surprisingly easy to read on with my elderly eyes.

Helen
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #30
Plumadona
Groupie

I went from original Nook to T-1, so I can sideload if I absolutely need to
but I spend a lot of time away from home, sometimes for a few days or a bit more than a week at a time. It's a lot better to find a hotspot and download a book on the Sony than to carry my computer around, find a hotspot, plug it in, download, then sideload

I'll just have to wait and see what happens, keep reading about new readers in general, and hope that my T-1 lasts until next summer when I hope to visit Montreal. If nothing else catches my eye (and Sony doesn't self-destruct by then), I'll smuggle a T-3 back home. If you do get a T-3, please let us know your impressions. We members of the aging eyes club want to know!

Plumadona