Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
pdp21stcentury
pdp21stcentury began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
prs 300 - sometimes needs hard reset to startup

On my new PRS 300 occasionally I don't go through the device shutdown routine - I just let it go to sleep as it were. When I later try to start it (by pressing power button) nothing happens (as if battery is flat - which it isnt) and I have to resort to pressing the reset button on the bottom of the unit. Has anyone else had issues with the prs300 sometimes not respondeing to the power button ? and not coming out of sleep mode - thanks in advance
pdp21stcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Not had this problem, but have a few questions.

You speak of "shutdown routine", all I ever do is push the power slider and put mine in sleep mode. I have never actually turned mine all the way off. No need to IMHO since the battery life is insane!

I rarely let mine shut off automatically, but when I have it was without issues. If I were you I would simple do the on/off switch when I'm through reading.

Perhaps someone else has had your problem, and may have another solution...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
pdp21stcentury
pdp21stcentury began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
thanks for that

Ill try not actually shutting it down - but do as you do and see if it settles down. The very fact there is a reset button enginnered into the device means Sony have expected odd occasions when users will need to reboot via hard reset. But I wonder if I have any slightly corrupted content that could cause it (my prs 300 is loaded with pdfs, txt files and epub files - and I add and delete these almost on a daily basis - maybe it only takes one slightly malformed file to cause this problem ?
pdp21stcentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a note about terminology. Pressing the reset button is not a "hard reset" - it's a normal reset. A "hard reset" is when you press the reset button while simultaneously holding in a couple of buttons (details escape me at present). This resets the device to factory defaults and wipes all data.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Just about all portable electronic devices have reset button's or options, including mobile phones, mp3 players...etc. It is a "first" thing to try if you have a problem. So, yes Sony put the reset button to use, and hopefully solve minor problems.

Anything is possible, but I would doubt corrupted content would cause the problem you have. When the unit goes to sleep it simple keeps the "state" that is is in, and turns off the screen. Corrupted content in general will not work at all..... but of course as I said .... anything is possible.

Just to be sure, look at the various charging threads on this forum. Make sure you are charging the unit correctly. It would seem that correct charging is the number one problem maker when it comes to the hardware......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert