Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD for $49.99 in US target

Someone on the internet claims that the Story HD is on sale for $49 at target, if that's true, that'd be a bargain price for this device... it's still 139€ in Germany.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3977214-iRiv...-99-Target-B-M

Or it could simply mean they're getting rid of their stock cause $49 sounds too good to be true

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-23-2012 at 11:23 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That's not what I'm seeing:
http://www.target.com/p/iriver-Story...G/-/A-13576738
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes sure, the person who claimed this deal also said "still showing $99.99 online" themselves. If it showed the price on line I'd not have cited some shady source.

I'm not in the US so I can't verify whether or not this offer is real
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But that could be because it's $99.99 bought online and $49.99 in the store. Or it could have been a mistake in that one store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
For 50 bucks I would definitely buy one of these - immediately! Even for 50 Euros here in Germany. But my feeling says, that this will remain a dream
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

You definitely won't see that kind of price in Germany the $79 Kindle has been available for 99€ for a while and the Story HD is still 139€. The non-wifi Story HD was even 149€ - less features at a higher price. That's just how it is...
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Confirmed!

Called several Target's in the area, StoryHD is indeed now $49.99US.

That's a steal. But they were not moving, at all. So I guess they felt $79.99 was not deep enough to get them off the shelves.

But I have to say, even at that price, I won't buy one as a back-up. The technology is moving too fast. If mine dies I will gladly look to the next generations across the brands. And I really like mine.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

That's great to hear. For $50 I'd get one as a gift for my brother, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
The technology is moving too fast.
Let us hope that's true. I'm looking forward to better epaper screens - better contrast and higher resolution.

Resolution wise the Story HD did the moving here, Kindle still using the same display they used 2? 3? years ago.

Maybe higher res is where the road is going in general, since higher res is what they're using to back those color screens of theirs. The color is unusable of course but the higher res and sharper text always helps.

Someone should invent reusable ink then we could use real paper screens, miniature printer technology already exists
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Just went to a local Target (Birmingham, Alabama) and picked one up for $49 for myself to "play with". I have been eyeing the Story for several months, but just never would go for it.

Glad I waited, now.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
being jealous
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
jameshunter
jameshunter began at the beginning.

Device: iriver
I just bought mine for $49 and I'm really happy i found some other grateful owners. Target still hasn't changed the display price, but they definitely are ringing up at $49.99!

My first impression is that a lot of problems or quirks seemed to have been improved upon since the release. I saw mentions of ghosting and bad wifi among other things, but I haven't noticed any of those problems with the newest firmware. I read on it last night for about 3 hours. Anyway I just signed up to say thanks for contributing to the community. I'll try to stick around a bit.

Last edited by jameshunter; 02-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
jameshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I picked up a couple.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Just one question. I do not remember. Does the Story have page turn buttons?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Just one question. I do not remember. Does the Story have page turn buttons?
Other than the silver bar, no.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

It does have a set of arrow keys on the keyboard that can also used for page turns, if you're tired of the silver bar. The arrow keys are also used for selecting links (if there are any in the document).

It does not have page turn buttons on the sides like the Kindle. Personally I didn't like those (when I tested a Kindle), the silver bar is easy to use and wide enough to reach with the thumb of either hand, and you can either press it like a button or just swipe across it... I like the bar