Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
1st Gen. Kindle Fire case suggestions?

I figure everybody needs a break from all the Paperwhite 2, and Fire HDX posts, so...

I recently added a 1st Gen. Fire to my collection. One thing I'm a firm believer in re Kindles in general is cases. Sure they add weight, but after seeing what an eInk screen is and after dropping my HD and having the case pop open 1/4 of the way around, I don't Kindle naked anymore.

If you can get past the Amazon price for their cases, they're usually pretty decent, so I figured I'd look for one of them, first. The weird thing is that I haven't found a listing for a regular Amazon case. It seems like most of the listings are for Marware cases, and I'm not crazy about the way the elastic gets all stretched out of shape with use.

Does anybody have a "formal" Amazon case for a Fire, and if so do you have a link to it? Does anybody else have a case that they really like... (at a decent price?)

Thanks for your input.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You're looking for the Zip Sleeve.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-.../dp/B005DOKK7Q

None of us here bought it I don't think, hahaha. I went with the Malware.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
I figure everybody needs a break from all the Paperwhite 2, and Fire HDX posts, so...

I recently added a 1st Gen. Fire to my collection. One thing I'm a firm believer in re Kindles in general is cases. Sure they add weight, but after seeing what an eInk screen is and after dropping my HD and having the case pop open 1/4 of the way around, I don't Kindle naked anymore.

If you can get past the Amazon price for their cases, they're usually pretty decent, so I figured I'd look for one of them, first. The weird thing is that I haven't found a listing for a regular Amazon case. It seems like most of the listings are for Marware cases, and I'm not crazy about the way the elastic gets all stretched out of shape with use.

Does anybody have a "formal" Amazon case for a Fire, and if so do you have a link to it? Does anybody else have a case that they really like... (at a decent price?)

Thanks for your input.
When the first Fire came out I bought 2 of these, I think they were around $12-$15. 2nd one was meant to be a backup, but my 1st one is still fine, it it has been very practical and offer a decent protection.

Now the cases are only $3 for the original Fire:

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Slim-F...ev_itm_title_2

If you want extra protection, ie to put Fire in a briefcase, backpack, etc... look for a Built neoprene foam sleeve case, they are discounted all the time for $3-$5 in close-out stores or websites like Woot.

Last edited by Ocicat; 10-10-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy You gotta be kidding me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You're looking for the Zip Sleeve.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-.../dp/B005DOKK7Q

None of us here bought it I don't think, hahaha. I went with the Malware.
No one here bought it? Go figure... Anyone with a modicum of taste would have to avoid that like the plague... even if you didn't know it smelled bad.

I think this is the one my buddy has, only he has the graphite one that isn't even shown... Jessica, did you really find one made by Malware or was that a typo?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@SampleAndy-
I have had this case since the Fire came out...excellent case, excellent quality. I absolutely would buy again, especially at the current price!

FYI- I don't like elastic band closures. The 'lip' closure on this one is secure and actually makes it easier to hold when the flap is folded around to the back while in use.

Last edited by GoSharks; 10-11-2013 at 12:10 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No one here bought it? Go figure... Anyone with a modicum of taste would have to avoid that like the plague... even if you didn't know it smelled bad.

I think this is the one my buddy has, only he has the graphite one that isn't even shown... Jessica, did you really find one made by Malware or was that a typo?
Yeah, it was a typo.

I didn't even know there was an oder issue! No wonder. It did cost like $30 to begin with, and I think that was the main issue, along with the fact that it was a sleeve.

I had that same exact case. I remember that day I got it. They refunded us the majority of the cost because people found it really flimsy. But then it got to us a week before the Fires started shipping out and it fit and worked fine otherwise.

I never had the issue with the elastic. It did get pretty dirty though.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict

Thanks for the suggestions from everybody. The problem was that I don't like elastic, and I don't like the "claws" that were on GoSharks' or Ocicat's.

One of the links from GoSharks' suggestion was this, and I decided to give it a try. After all, it's darn near cheaper than dirt. I was going to keep my options open for one of the Marware cases, but the only ones that are currently available are white, and that just doesn't work for me... or black starting at $40.

Time will tell. It should be here tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict

Well, that was a bust.
Evidently, you're not supposed to hold it in your hand to read; the back cover doesn't even come close to folding flat. It's probably only designed to enclose the Fire and act as a stand. Luckily, it was cheap, too cheap to be worth returning.

Hopefully, I'll like this one better.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard

That's the one I have. It does a pretty good job as a cover.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Yes I have this exact one Also

no complaints

Cheers
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:

Hopefully, I'll like this one better.
I've got that one for my Fire. It's a good case that doesn't add any noticeable weight or bulk.

I like it.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
BookGyrlinMO
Connoisseur
BookGyrlinMO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
When the first Fire came out I bought 2 of these, I think they were around $12-$15. 2nd one was meant to be a backup, but my 1st one is still fine, it it has been very practical and offer a decent protection.
Thanks for the info Ocicat! I just bought a red one for 3 bucks!

BookGyrlinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Well, that was a bust.
Evidently, you're not supposed to hold it in your hand to read; the back cover doesn't even come close to folding flat. It's probably only designed to enclose the Fire and act as a stand. Luckily, it was cheap, too cheap to be worth returning.
Does it detach into two pieces maybe?

I've seen two that did not hold flat, and both used Velcro to stick the 'sleeve' part to the 'cover' part. Much slimmer and flat when detached and also allowed portrait stand mode when reattached in that fashion.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
SampleAndy
Addict

Thanks for your input, fratermus, but there is no velcro; the only way to detach it would be with a knife.

I was tempted, but... The case looks like a knockoff of the marware case, but the flexible portion of the case doesn't allow it to bend more than 45 degrees, right about where you would put it if it was in "stand mode".

After looking at some of the user photos, I was wondering if maybe I just got a defective one... "We are sorry, but you are no longer able to initiate a return for this item. Return Window expired on November 15, 2013." (sigh)

Oh, well.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Here's a Marware case you might consider as well. It doesn't have a stand feature, but I find it works well for one-handed reading. It holds the Fire in with clips rather than straps, and weighs 6.1 ounces.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote