Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
cryohead
cryohead began at the beginning.

Device: don't have one
Which reader has the most convenient dictionary access?

My first and foremost consideration is to dictionary access. As my vocabulary isn't that shiny I often need to look up words. Which device offers the most convenient way of accessing a dictionary? In my mind the best would be a pop-up bubble activating on the touch of a word while reading. That requires touch screen capability (captain obvious arrived). I don't care much about the price (okay, I would probably not pay for anything over a grand) but this sole functionality only. I understand that Sony devices don't even boast a dictionary function so those won't cut it. I would hate to use two devices for reading purposes. I mostly read real books using a PDA for lookup. I read somewhere that iLiad has touchscreen function built in but you still need to press buttons, open up some other application and type the words manually. That's a pain in the back.

Any help here guys?
cryohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are in the US, the Kindle has exactly what you are looking for. It does not have a touch screen, but instead uses the cursor bar to the right of the screen to select words. It comes with the The New Oxford American Dictionary built in. Its only downside at present is that you can't use multiple dictionaries, and most commercial dictionaries are not yet available for the device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On the CyBook Gen3 you select "Lookup mode" from the menu; this gives you a "word highlight" cursor which you move up, down, left, right over the page. When the correct word is highlighted, you press the "Select" button to see the definition. It works very well. Multiple dictionaries are supported - if there's more than one "hit" you can view the definitions (either in the same or different dictionaries) one at a time.

There's a vast range of dictionaries available but, unlike the Kindle, you don't get a built-in one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
As harry said, the Gen 3 does not come with a built in dictionary. It does however allow you to load multiple dictionaries at the same time, which I believe the Kindle does not support currently.

Also with the mobipocket dictionaries for the Gen 3, you can also use them on a PC or a Pocket PC device to look up words, maximising you investment.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
cryohead

I live in Europe so I couldn't really take advantage of the services Kindle has to offer. Ofc if it's possible to connect it to the PC then it could turn the tide in its favor.

So you don't actually have to type in the words on the CyBook then. I wasn't aware of this little factoid, thanks for the heads-up.

Any meaningful info on the iLiad? I'm not the enemy of my purse or anything and the CyBook could be perfect but if there would be some way to make it pop bubbles on touching the words that would be un-freaking beliveably awesome.

Is there a huge difference between the 4bit vs 8bit e-Ink panels btw?

Dictionaries are important. I've tried to simply skim through a dictionary once but quit before reaching letter C. So incredibly boring. Anyways. I'm considering the CyBook now.

Ofc I appreciate any further info.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The way it works on the iLiad is that you tap a "lookup" button, then tap the word that you want to look up the meaning of. I actually find it less convenient than the CyBook's lookup method because it means switching to and from the stylus, which is a little inconvenient.

I don't think "bubbles" would work too well. A good dictionary (I use the Chambers Unabridged dictionary, which is very good indeed) can have definitions which are pretty long, and really wouldn't fit in a "bubble". The fact that the dictionary "replaces" the book on the screen is very convenient, because it means that lookup is "recursive" - you can look up the meaning of words while you're reading the dictionary definition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
cryohead

I've just put up an order for the CyBook3 Deluxe pack. LOL @ the one on one price conversion between Euro & Dollar. In the US it costs $450 while within the EU it's 450 € Guess it's an exclusive EU ripoff. Anyways it should be with me in a few days, can't wait to try it. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The way it works on the iLiad is that you tap a "lookup" button, then tap the word that you want to look up the meaning of. I actually find it less convenient than the CyBook's lookup method because it means switching to and from the stylus, which is a little inconvenient.
Keeping the stylus handy is arguably less convenient, but I would just elaborate on the tapping of the "lookup" button by saying that, once you've turned it on you do not have to keep hitting it to look up a word - you just tap the word. As I do not have use for the other on-screen buttons, the lookup button basically stays on all the time for me, the Iliad in my left hand (thumb over the page turn) and the stylus in my right with me resisting the temptation to chew on its end or clean out my ears with it.

If dictionary lookup is such a priority for you, cryohead, I don't think you will be disappointed with your Cybook purchase. It works well, and you can add multiple dictionaries as well (for instance, I have the Chambers Harry mentions, but also a French-English). When you "tap" a word (or, as the Cybook does it), it looks for the word in all dictionaries then asks you which one you want to use. It's pretty nifty, and my favourite feature (especially when smart-alec writers start putting in French dialogue or quotes because my French is virtually non-existent ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
As I hold my iLiad in my right hand and use the flipbar and stylus with my left hand, I am able to easily use the dictionary lookup.

Using my gauche right hand (or awkwardly angled left hand) to click through the lookup menus on the Cybook isn't so easy, but it works.

iLiads and Cybooks both support multiple dictionaries, including those on expansion cards.

cryohead, that's an expensive Cybook you've just bought!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On the CyBook Gen3 you select "Lookup mode" from the menu; this gives you a "word highlight" cursor which you move up, down, left, right over the page. When the correct word is highlighted, you press the "Select" button to see the definition. It works very well. Multiple dictionaries are supported - if there's more than one "hit" you can view the definitions (either in the same or different dictionaries) one at a time.

There's a vast range of dictionaries available but, unlike the Kindle, you don't get a built-in one.

Just don't turn off the Gen3 whilst it is in the dictionary.... it gets confused when you then want to return to the book you were reading....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Kindle has a great inbuilt dictionary access.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Note that it's quite an old thread, so the comments in it probably aren't applicable any more!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote