Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Libido
Libido began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Simple new question

Sorry if this isn't the right place but my question is pretty simple.
I'm following this guide and it says at step 6 to "setup the IP for the new connection" but I have no idea where to enter it.
Libido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libido View Post
Sorry if this isn't the right place but my question is pretty simple.
I'm following this guide and it says at step 6 to "setup the IP for the new connection" but I have no idea where to enter it.
It shows an example for a linux host PC, but for windows you would need to change Network Properties / TCPIPv4 / Manually assigned server address.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Are you running Windows? If so, what version?

EDIT: GM and i posted at the same time.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Libido

I'm using XP.
Do I enter that in the TP-link one or the actually Linux one? Because I've entered it in both and it keeps saying limited or no connectivity. I'll keep trying though because I might be doing something wrong.

Last edited by Libido; 08-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm using XP.
Do I enter that in the TP-link one or the actually Linux one? Because I've entered it in both and it keeps saying limited or no connectivity. I'll keep trying though because I might be doing something wrong.
Whichever one contains RNDIS, which in your case is "Local Area Connection 3" (which you may want to rename to "Kindle USBnet" or similar.

You should see RNDIS mentioned in "the guide" (step 5) as well. Do NOT change the TP-LINK network device IP address (which is probably your internet connection).

For the RNDIS device, click "Use the following IP address", and change it to 192.168.15.201.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Don't use the "Obtain IP address automatically" setting, but the "Use the following IP address" one... duh!

Straight from the Wiki:
Setup the IP for the new connection: IP 192.168.15.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0, all the other options are empty.

Edit: yes, you should probably use the .201 address that geekmaster mentions, instead of the .1 one.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-16-2012 at 03:54 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Don't use the "Obtain IP address automatically" setting, but the "Use the following IP address" one... duh!

Straight from the Wiki:
Setup the IP for the new connection: IP 192.168.15.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0, all the other options are empty.
As I mentioned before, I recommend using 192.168.15.201 instead of 192.168.15.1 because some of the diags scripts assume the .201 address for the host PC.

It would be nice if that were fixed in "the guide".

EDIT: Okay, I just changed the guide wiki (192.168.15.1 --> 192.168.15.201, reason: diags scripts assume 192.168.15.201, not 192.168.15.1). We do not need to give conflicting advice as to which IP address to use, when diags scripts default to .201 for the host PC IP address.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Libido

Yeah sorry, I thought the "Use the following IP address" one was the obvious choice. I just hadn't clicked it in the screen shot. It's working now, I had just forgotten to click to share the connection haha. But now putty won't let me enter the password. I can hit enter but it just says access denied.

Last edited by Libido; 08-16-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Yeah sorry, I thought the "Use the following IP address" one was the obvious choice. I just hadn't clicked it in the screen shot. It's working now, I had just forgotten to click to share the connection haha. But now putty won't let me enter the password. I can hit enter but it just says access denied.
Just enter the correct password. it's not echoed ("shown") in the terminal for security reasons.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Libido

How to keep an idiot entertained haha. I googled it and just now read your post. Thanks.