Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #31
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I can chime in on the 'not remembering' side of the issue

It happens quite frequently. It is more likely to happen later in the book. It also is about guaranteed to happen in those cases where bookmarking no longer works.

At Bookeen's suggestion, I reformatted my memory card to FAT32 and upgraded my software. Still no joy.

This compounds my frustration with the ability to search through the book. I often re-read books and I want to skip boring parts. Paging through the book creates two problems 1) It's slow; and 2) Each page turn burns the battery. I can find that I've 'read' an old book in a couple of hours, but that I've spent as much battery as if I read the entire thing.

There really needs to be some type of search feature. You tell it a page range and it goes to the middle of the range. Then you tell it to go forward or backward and it goes to the middle of the remaining range, etcetera.

Finally, another related problem to the original problem is that it frequently 'loses' my sd card. It's 'easy' to fix. You click the card to remove it, then you reinsert the card. Even if the system is still on it will scan the card and load the books. However, since I have over 400 books it take quite some time to scan in the list.

Finally, that leads me to another suggestion I've left with the folks at Cybook. Everytime the unit is turned on it first loads in the operating system and then it loads the entire library list -- which takes a while (thirty seconds? a minute?). If I'm in the middle of a book, I'm not sure why it needs to take time to load the library. Why doesn't it just open the current book?

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #32
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
There really needs to be some type of search feature. You tell it a page range and it goes to the middle of the range. Then you tell it to go forward or backward and it goes to the middle of the remaining range, etcetera.
You can do that today if you want. Just use the goto function. You'll get a menu with something like: Goto page .... of 1250. You will have a broad idea were you are from the indicator. So if you are about halfway and you want to skip a part of your book simply jump to 800. If it is to far jump to 700. Not far enough? Jump to 750. To far? Jump to 725. The next jump will bring you within a dozen pages of the correct place. On the avarage you'll have to go forwards or backwards 6 times.

Quote:
Why doesn't it just open the current book?
Some people, like me, read more than one book. From the library you can select the correct one. It will always bring me to the last reading position. I never lost a last read or a bookmark before.

Last edited by Ortep; 05-03-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #33
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Some people, like me, read more than one book. From the library you can select the correct one. It will always bring me to the last reading position. I never lost a last read or a bookmark before.
I agree with emellaich here. There could at least be an option for the cybook to return to the last page you were reading when you turn it on.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyad2000 View Post
I agree with emellaich here. There could at least be an option for the cybook to return to the last page you were reading when you turn it on.
Although I prefer the current behavior, since I generally have several books "on the go", I agree that to have a user-selectable option to start up either on the library screen, or to go to directly to the book most recently read, would be a nice enhancement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #35
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
Only happened one or two times for me. Both were when the battery was low. So basically as long as I keep my battery from going too low it nevers happens. Also I've found that just using "go to" to find the page I was at, worked better than I expected.
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice, however, if the "goto page" wasn't buried quite so deep in the menu system.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although I prefer the current behavior, since I generally have several books "on the go", I agree that to have a user-selectable option to start up either on the library screen, or to go to directly to the book most recently read, would be a nice enhancement.
I too prefer the present configuration , although it would be nice if the opening screen contained just the current books on the go ..
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I too prefer the present configuration , although it would be nice if the opening screen contained just the current books on the go ..
A nice way of doing it would be to have a "sort by most recently opened" option on the Library screen.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #39
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!BarnOwl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle III, Kobo Glo, Samsung Galaxy SIII
Maybe it depends on what you're reading on the Cybook. I use it only for reading lenghtly fiction novels and there is NO WAY to use the indicator as an exact reference to where you are in the book.

I have problems with storing the last read page when just turning off the device in 80% of the time. I have problems placing bookmarks in about 50% of the time.

The only way to be sure is when I am able to place a bookmark it will memorize this. The problem is if I read a few hundred pages in one go and I find out the bookmark function is NOT working (Simply not able to place a bookmark) it is too late! The only way to get back to the page you where in this case is to manually count the pages you're into a chapter so next time you fire the Bookeen up you know how much pages to count from the chapter number. Bloody irritating!

I have been reading ebooks on my Hx 4700 for years and I never had to worry about bookmarking. every time you turned the thing off or fell asleep you are sure if you start it up again you are exactly where you where. This is the case with Ubook reader, MS Reader, Palm Reader, Mobipocket reader and EReader.

So why does this not work flawless on a dedicated device?
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #40
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
You can do that today if you want. Just use the goto function. You'll get a menu with something like: Goto page .... of 1250. You will have a broad idea were you are from the indicator. So if you are about halfway and you want to skip a part of your book simply jump to 800. If it is to far jump to 700. Not far enough? Jump to 750. To far? Jump to 725. The next jump will bring you within a dozen pages of the correct place. On the avarage you'll have to go forwards or backwards 6 times.

You can, but not quickly. The goto page number is buried a bit. Furthermore, you end up needing to do the math and remember your original start/stop points. Its not super difficult, but I'd say its like the difference between dialup and broadband. Sure you can get to the entire net using dialup, but its much easier and faster via broadband.

In regard to reading more than one book. I do understand. The problem for me is that I like to keep my entire library on the Cybook. I don't really want to have to continually sync it. In a way, its like your comment about reading more than one book. I don't just want to pick the 20 books I have to carry around. In fact, I only go back to my computer every couple weeks or so. Anyway, I don't know if you have seen the start up time when you have a couple of hundred books, but it takes quite a while.

I think back to my old days of reading on a PDA. I could instantly turn it on and begin reading. Again, I return to my dialup/broadband comparision. Remember how long it took for your dialup connection to dial, connect, handshake, and send down the first page. Compare it to the instant on of broadband; that's what I want.

I quite understand that all of us will have different styles of reading. However, although I am quite pleased in many ways with my Cybook the effort to read is quite a hassle. I turn it on and wait for a while for it to load. I cross my fingers that it will actually load. I may have to page through 20 pages to find my book if it doesn't remember my spot in the library. Then I open the book. If it forgot my place, I have to go through the search to get back to the book.

The software really must improve.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Anyway, I don't know if you have seen the start up time when you have a couple of hundred books, but it takes quite a while.
I honestly don't think that the startup time depends on the number of books. I have all my books on an SD card (currently 163 books), and I've just timed the startup with and without the SD card in the machine. It's identical.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:24 AM   #42
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I have problems with storing the last read page when just turning off the device in 80% of the time. I have problems placing bookmarks in about 50% of the time.

Quote:
However, although I am quite pleased in many ways with my Cybook the effort to read is quite a hassle. I turn it on and wait for a while for it to load. I cross my fingers that it will actually load. I may have to page through 20 pages to find my book if it doesn't remember my spot in the library. Then I open the book. If it forgot my place, I have to go through the search to get back to the book.

The software really must improve.
I understand your frustration, but you and I must be doing something different.

I do read long novels and collections of short stories. I use bookmarks often

I never ever have the problem that the library position is not remembered. And I only once lost the position in a book. But that was due to an empty battery. I ended up at the position 'before' the last one. And this week I tried to drain the battery on purpose to find out if I would lose the postion. It didn't happen. When I charged the empty battery I could go on reading on exact the same spot.

My Cybook was one of the first batch, so I have the 'old' software version 4xx It does not give me any problem. For me there are no bugs to fix.

The only improvements I can imagine are user selectable buttons and sorting on Author, Title and Genre or Collection. Oh, and a little clock would be nice

Last edited by Ortep; 05-06-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #43
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
My Cybook was one of the first batch, so I have the 'old' software version 4xx It does not give me any problem. For me there are no bugs to fix.
I think that it is a design bug to save the last read position and bookmarks in a file system that the user can corrupt so it becomes impossible to save the information. This information really should be saved in some internal file system.

And if the problem depends on type of sd card then an internal file system would solve this also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #44
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think that it is a design bug to save the last read position and bookmarks in a file system that the user can corrupt so it becomes impossible to save the information. This information really should be saved in some internal file system.

And if the problem depends on type of sd card then an internal file system would solve this also.
It is not a design from Bookeen. It is the same setup that any MobiReader based system uses. The temp data is saved in the .mbp files in the same directory as the original .prc or .mobi files. If you read on a desktop or ppc and you delete those files you also start from scratch.

It is possible to remove the SD card on the fly and put it back again. That can cause trouble. It is also possible that a bad contact in the SD slot can ruin things.

I have my dictionary on a SD card. Once I was reading and used lookup to find a word. No problem at all, but 5 minutes later when I tried it again I got the message: No Dictionary for this Language, indicating there was no dictionary at all. I simply pushed on the SD card and voila, I could use lookup again.

I read from 'internal' memory. That could be the explanation that it works OK for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #45
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
The annoying Error of not remembering the last page happens about 5-10% for me.

I bought the Cybook about a month ago.
Firmware version/s:
- Boo Reader 1.0 (build 538)
- Mobipocket Reader: version 6.0 (build 60)

I'm not using a SD Card and the internal memory has at least 20 MByte free Space.

It happens when the Battery is more than 80% full.
It seems to happen more often after using the device for a very long reading session or when the Battery is really low (~10%).

I usually set a Bookmark before turning the device off. During long reading sessions I also place Bookmarks at about 1 hour intervals.

I know that the Error stroke again when the device doesn't accept a Bookmark.
Then I can try to figure out and at wich position the &#%§$ progress bar seams to be.

What I would like to have ist a page number or a percentage number instead of the Bar for reading progress. Also I would like the option to turn 20 pages at once when pressing right or left on the cross instead of only one page at a time.
That would help a lot with this Bug.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote