Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I've thought of doing them in a single Mobipocket book but I add and change recipes all the time. It'd be more cumbersome than I'd like. I would be tinkering with it constantly. Ideally, I'd like to sort them into subfolders for easy browsing so I could just drag and drop the new ones in on the fly.
What is your source file format? Unless it is simple TXT which is pretty ugly then you have to convert it anyway. It is easy to add an html file in mobicreator, recreate a nice toc and away you go with a new book. Not much longer than it took to create the file. If you add to an existing file it is even easier. Just rebuild the toc and recreate.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #32
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Actually it is just text which is just fine for a recipe in my opinion. It's way easier that way. I understand how to do it. I don't want to. Thanks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Actually it is just text which is just fine for a recipe in my opinion. It's way easier that way. I understand how to do it. I don't want to. Thanks.
Aren't text files already stored separately for other files?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #34
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
The reset of the ergonomics are very good: button/scroll wheel locator, thumbboard with easy-to-get search button, etc.
Clarification -- the rest of the ergonomics are very good if you can use both hands. I own a Kindle, which my hubby has difficulty using one-handed unless it is lying on a table.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #35
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Actually, what I like so much about the Kindle is how comfortable it is to use one handed. Much more so than the Sony.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #36
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Aren't text files already stored separately for other files?

Dale
Yes. That's what I want. Separate files organized into subfolders. I want to keep them separate. This is why I haven't put them in one big file. I want subfolders (the subject of this thread) so I can organize them for easy browsing.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Actually, what I like so much about the Kindle is how comfortable it is to use one handed. Much more so than the Sony.
I agree. I can use it in either hand and the big page buttons make it easy to quickly change pages. So many of the video reviews complained about doing that by accident. It happens if I'm passing it around to show to people but not when I'm just sitting there reading. They're holding it up and pointing to stuff all over the place. I'm not surprised they accidentally hit the buttons. That's not regular use.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 AM   #38
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
How many times have you send the desire of having ways to organize your contents to kindle-feedback@amazon.com? Continue to regularly voice your desire at that email address. It is not a black hole. Amazon really spends time reading customer feedback.

As a user, I share your frustration. As an engineer, I want to scream because engineer does not make what gets to be on a shipping product. As an Amazon shareholder, I understand company direction requires careful planning. If there is finite resources, should that be allocate to make more books available for Kindle or make organizing features. There are trade-off everyday. Voice your opinion repeatedly to make sure Amazon hears what's important to its customers.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Still, it is shocking. It seems one of the most common feature requests we hear from people. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. I guess it must be or else they'd have done it. I'm curious what the stumbling block is.
The "stumbling block" is almost without doubt the fact that their market research has shown them that the non-technically-savvy computer user doesn't really understand how to use folders. It's surely not a coincidence that ALL the eInk reader manufacturers (except iRex with the iLiad) have come to the same conclusion. I'm sure it's a "usability issue" rather than a technical one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "stumbling block" is almost without doubt the fact that their market research has shown them that the non-technically-savvy computer user doesn't really understand how to use folders. It's surely not a coincidence that ALL the eInk reader manufacturers (except iRex with the iLiad) have come to the same conclusion. I'm sure it's a "usability issue" rather than a technical one.
It wouldn't suprise me. But makers of mp3-players have solved this problem by having to browsing modes. One with folders and one more database based where you select artist and so on. So then the question becomes why they did not do it that way.

And I do not believe Bookeen came to the same conclusion. I think they did the minimal work they could to get to a product and have said officially that they will add folder support.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know how the 500/505 performs with a LARGE amount of content. But how does the Kindle perform if you put a LARGE amount of content on it say hundreds of eBooks. Does it slow down at all?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #42
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know how the 500/505 performs with a LARGE amount of content. But how does the Kindle perform if you put a LARGE amount of content on it say hundreds of eBooks. Does it slow down at all?
I have roughly 900 books on my Kindle and do not see a significant slowdown once the books are indexed. Even reading off the SD card doesn't seem to make a difference is speed just battery life.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #43
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yeah, I sent it to the recommendations address. Got a cookie cutter response, so I dunno.. but I would suggest everyone go this route.

And I think it's fine from a UI perspective not to have the option, but I think you can have the option just as well, too. Just create a new viewing category that uses folders and voila.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #44
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it some think that because they have hundreds (or more) of eBooks that all have to go on the reading device at the same time?
Because my reading device easily supports this? Because this gives me a portable backup of all my ebooks? Because I have an unlimited choice of reading material at any time w/o having to plan ahead? It seems like a no-brainer to me, especially the portable backup.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #45
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Well, Jeff, if you want hundreds of books on a device, with no way to arrange them in folders, enjoy yourself as you look for the title you want. To me, that's a waste of time.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote