Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

Delete All Bookmarks?

Is there any way to delete ALL bookmarks from a book instead of having to delete them one-by-one?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Don't know. How do you delete them at all (individually)?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Don't know. How do you delete them at all (individually)?
Hace a look at the /system folder when you connect the reader to the PC. There is some file that you can edit that contains the bookmarks.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Hace a look at the /system folder when you connect the reader to the PC. There is some file that you can edit that contains the bookmarks.
Just opened the Systems file for the first time and installed the Germ-Eng dict, which works great (see Dictionary thread), but I couldn't find anything that looked like a bookmarks folder.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
emt
Nameless Being

How to Delete Individually

You have to go directly to the bookmarked page and then press the bookmark icon in the quick menu - this deletes the bookmark for that page but it's a pain to do this for each bookmark.

There must be someone here who can figure out a way to do this en masse
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
There must be someone here who can figure out a way to do this en masse
I will post a solution when I get to connect my reader to my home PC and play a little bit.
Solution will most probably involve connecting reader to PC and manually editing a file.

In the meanwhile you can try to have a look at the \system\state directory and files inside.
Files \system\state\name_of_the_book_file.af0 are where PocketBook stores information where you are in a book. So perhaps it also records your bookmarks here. As I said, I will have a look when I get the opportunity.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
mdmorrissey
Addict

I can't delete any bookmarks. When I go to the bookmarked page, press the center button, then left-click to the boomark icon, it just bookmarks the same page again. The bookmarks do not disappear.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
I can't delete any bookmarks. When I go to the bookmarked page, press the center button, then left-click to the bookmark icon, it just bookmarks the same page again. The bookmarks do not disappear.
You go to some page in a book.
press OK
select Bookmark icon
now you get to the "bookmark menu" - strip of bookmarks on the right side
Now you can
EITHER set a new bookmark (position signalized by * symbol) by pressing OK button,
OR you can go to any bookmark by using up and down buttons, then press OK to leave the bookmark menu and move to the desired bookmarked page
OR you can leave the "bookmark menu" without going to the bookmarked page by pressing left button.

The only way to delete the bookmark from the device without connecting it to PC is to map some button to the Bookmark -> set bookmark function. You do that by going to the settings menu from the main screen, select Key mapping, select a key you wish to map (for example Button 1, long press) and assigning function Set Bookmark.

To delete an existing bookmark you navigate to the page where the bookmark is set and press "set bookmark" button and the bookmark disappears.

You can delete ALL the bookmarks for a book by deleting the af0 file belonging to the book from the \system\state\ directory when you connect the device to PC.
When you have a Sherlock book in the directory
\fiction\Doyle\Study_in_scarlet.epub and you open the book, file \system\state\fiction\Doyle\Study_in_scarlet.epub. af0 is automatically created.
The device stores all bookmarks and also the position where you were last reading the book in that af0 file.
You delete the file, you have deleted all bookmarks, AND you have also deleted the position where the book was last open.

up, down, left, right buttons are the buttons around the OK button (just making sure we understand each other ;-))
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
emt
Nameless Being

Thanks

Looks like deleting the af0 file is the easiest. Is there any way to delete the file from the PB itself? Maybe, delete the book from memory and then reinstall the book - perhaps by using the SD card?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Looks like deleting the af0 file is the easiest. Is there any way to delete the file from the PB itself? Maybe, delete the book from memory and then reinstall the book - perhaps by using the SD card?
There are several ways ;-)
The most obvious one is to use poterm (terminal emulator) third party application and using the embedded Linux system commands to delete the .af0 file. I just suspect, it would be much quicker to delete all bookmarks one by one manually . And much, MUCH safer.

You can try other ways.
- renaming the book,
- moving it to different location
- making a copy of the book and deleting the original
Go ahead and try.
And come back and tell us how it went.

I have found out the stuff from my previous post (from most of my posts) by trying out various things.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
The most radical soulution would be to back up your books and make a hard reset. Poof, all bookmarks gone. You'd have to reconfigure everything else after that action, too, but there's no war without victims, after all.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
The most radical soulution would be to back up your books and make a hard reset. Poof, all bookmarks gone. You'd have to reconfigure everything else after that action, too, but there's no war without victims, after all.
You mean complete wipe-out of the main memory that you can accomplish by starting the device and holding certain buttons at the same time? (procedure similar to the flashing of firmware)

Yes. That one will wipe out bookmarks nice and quick.
And also:
  • books,
  • themes,
  • notes,
  • dictionaries (even the ones that came with the device and most users did not make a backup of),
  • user installed fonts,
  • third party applications (such as fbreader180),
  • games,
  • photos,
  • startup logos,
  • scrensavers,
  • user installed languages,
  • keyboard layouts,
  • configuration files (I mean ALL configuration files, not just extensions.conf and other user supplied ones)
  • ... and compete directory structure where all the above files reside.

So if you are going to take an excellent advice that mtravellerh just gave you, also back-up all the above stuff together with your books.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
mdmorrissey
Addict

Thanks, kacir. That (setting a key) worked perfectly!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
emt
Nameless Being

Good Advice But...

Thanks to all for the help but I think I'll take the slow and painful way of deleting one-at-a-time.

BTW, I've been recommending the PB360 to everyone of my friends - no one has been disappointed. And with the help of this forum it seems like the most customizable reader out there.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard

In the new firmware 15.2 you can delete all bookmarks and saved states from the Settings --> Maintenance menu.
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120