Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
fishman69
Enthusiast
fishman69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sonys - 500, 505, 900, T1; Kindles - 2, 3; Nook - Touch
Why does the reader take SO LONG to switch to the Menu?

Changing pages is reasonably fast; I have never found that to be a problem. But going to the Menu takes all of 20 seconds, which is a MAJOR pain!!!
fishman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Something is wrong with your reader.

Btw., do you know that if you press and hold menu button for a few seconds it will take to the main menu without having to navigate there?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Personally, I find that the more books I have on my memory card and the more bookmarks I've got saved, the longer it takes to make/delete bookmarks and the longer it takes to step back up a level on the menu.

I don't know why, I just know it happens.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe I am wrong then. I never use cards. I store all my books on internal memory.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
fishman69
Enthusiast
fishman69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sonys - 500, 505, 900, T1; Kindles - 2, 3; Nook - Touch
I do not really think that it is a problem with the reader. This is my third reader, a PRS-505. I previously had two PRS-500s. I manage to destroy them with excess pressure on the screen surface. The first one, I rolled over in bed and the second one I killed with pressing my camera flash into it while carrying both in a fanny-pack. This problem with the menu has been the case with all three readers. Admittedly I do have a lot in there. I have about 550 books, all in a 2 GB SD card. I keep them all in the card because it is a lot easier for me to use the built-in card reader in my computer to manage content than to use the Sony software with a USB connection to the computer. And holding the menu button in still requires 20 seconds to bring up the menu. You imply that there is another way to get there; what might it be?
fishman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman69 View Post
You imply that there is another way to get there; what might it be?
Just as I said:
Quote:
if you press and hold menu button for a few seconds it will take to the main menu without having to navigate there
but you say you are doing it:
Quote:
holding the menu button in still requires 20 seconds to bring up the menu
To check that it is not a fault of the reader, remove the card, put a couple of book on the internal memory and try to access the menu. If it cures the problem, then the answer is many books on the card. If the problem persists than it is the reader's issue.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
To check that it is not a fault of the reader, remove the card, put a couple of book on the internal memory and try to access the menu. If it cures the problem, then the answer is many books on the card. If the problem persists than it is the reader's issue.
Yep - and if that turns out to be the problem, you might try swapping the SD card for a different one (or a memory stick) if you've got one handy to see if that speeds it up. The card's electronics and how they are formatted can affect performance.

FWIW, I noticed a similar problem. It seemed to me that it wasn't the size of the files on the external memory that slowed the reader so much as the number of them.

I recently sorted the files by size and put all the ones less than 2 MB on the reader (which was about 80% of them by count) and the remainder on the card. I picked the 2MB size by figuring what would leave me about 50 MB of free space on the Reader - it's not a good idea to fill it completely.

I did the file installation via the Sony software to take advantage of the pre-indexing that it does. Not sure if that may have had any other effects. I also put protected PDF's/ADE's on the Reader, regardless of size (based on nothing but superstition, I'll admit).

This setup seems to be almost as fast as when I was running with no memory card, but I've got a lot more material available on the Reader now.

This all purely subjective. Maybe I'm imagining it works better or maybe it's got something to due with some unique aspect of the files I'm using, the MS I'm using, the hacks on my Reader, etc. But if you try it and it works, please post.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote