Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #12511
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Heat Wave another great police procedural by Richard Castle (or whoever the actual author is.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #12512
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Niki Heat novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished Heat Wave another great police procedural by Richard Castle (or whoever the actual author is.
Following that one there's Naked Heat and then Heat Rises. IMHO they get better each time.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #12513
kusunoki
kusunoki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just finished reading the first Doc Savage novel The Man of Bronze (a lot of fun) and The Great Influenza (an interesting but deeply flawed book) and I've just started on 1984 (never read before, but am enjoying immensely). I've got a lineup of about 20 more that I'm aiming for after that. It's tough to balance the enjoyment of the current book with the excitement for the next...

Last edited by kusunoki; 02-25-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo and formatting
kusunoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #12514
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm currently reading Sex on Tuesdays by June Whyte.

I originally nominated it for the February selection of the MRBC, but I'm very glad it didn't win. It is definitely more mystery than romance, and a luke-warm one at that.

I'm about a third of the way through. The mystery itself is interesting (if a bit gruesome), but the main character, Dani, is just "eh." Her self-deprecation is neither cute nor charming and her obsession over soon-to-be turning 50 is down right annoying. I'm liking her, obviously telegraphed, "future" love interest more than her, at the moment, even though he started the book out looking like a jerk.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #12515
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Following that one there's Naked Heat and then Heat Rises. IMHO they get better each time.
Absolutely! I inadvertently read Heat Rises first and it was very good. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Naked Heat. And I'm starting to suspect Michael Connelly may be the author. This because, in his latest book, The Drop, he mentions Castle or, actually, has one of the characters mention Castle.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #12516
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Richard Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Absolutely! I inadvertently read Heat Rises first and it was very good. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Naked Heat. And I'm starting to suspect Michael Connelly may be the author. This because, in his latest book, The Drop, he mentions Castle or, actually, has one of the characters mention Castle.
Well it's more than likely to be one of Rick Castle's poker buddies, I always kinda' figured that Steven J. Cannell wrote Heat Wave, then when he died I guessed that Dennis Lehane probably took over and wrote the next two.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #12517
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well I finished War Of The Worlds today. 3/5 stars

I would have liked a bit more dialogue and action. But it was written over a hundred years ago so I wasn't exactly expecting it to be a riveting SciFi book. But I'm not much into Sci-Fi either, I enjoyed The Count Of Monte Cristo more (Which, by the way was a great book)

Now to start Endless Night by Agatha Christie.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-26-2012 at 12:05 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #12518
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I bought it from Amazon.
I just checked and had no problem finding it in the U.K. store. The Kindle edition was apparently published in June 2011 (Inkmesh doesn't seem to have take notice yet). I still can't find a Kindle edition in the U.S. Kindle store, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #12519
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Evil under the Sun by Agatha Christie, her 37th book.
And it was another good Hercule Poirot murder mystery. Although I remembered the main plot points, it was still fun watching it come together.

Next: Voyager In Night by C. J. Cherryh, which doesn't seem to be available as an ebook at the moment. (I got it at fictionwise in 2008.) A standa-alone SF story, apparently.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #12520
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
just finished "Kristin Lavransdatter" by Sigrid Undset, 1000 pages in 6 days. My oh my, was that a good piece of literature. I need a little break after I read something really good to let it sink in before I start a new one. Sigh...
This sounds very good. Will definitely read it.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #12521
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thraxas and the Warrior Monks, by Martin Scott

Just finished "Thraxas and the Warrior Monks" by Martin Scott, the 2nd book in the "Thraxas" series (it's published by Baen as an omnibus edition in the same volume as the first book, "Thraxes"). Thraxas is a down-at-heel private investigator, failed sorcerer, and former mercenary in the hopelessly corrupt city of Turai. This book sees him take on the case of an apprentice sculptor accusing of murdering his master, and try to find the religious statue which disappeared at the time as the murder. In the course of the investigation Thraxas gets caught up in the rivalry between two rivals sects of Warrior Monks who are both looking for the statue and think that Thraxas knows more than he's letting on.

Another fun fantasy romp. Well worth reading, especially considering that you get both this and the previous book for $6, DRM-free, from Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #12522
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I enjoyed The Count Of Monte Cristo more (Which, by the way was a great book)
I read this as part of my 2011 challenge, and it was excellent. Don't know why it took me so long to get round to it.

Nearing the end of Dresden in Fool Moon, and debating whether to go straight on to Grave Peril or read Taken by Robert Crais, the new Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novel which has been calling to me .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #12523
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I read this as part of my 2011 challenge, and it was excellent. Don't know why it took me so long to get round to it.

Nearing the end of Dresden in Fool Moon, and debating whether to go straight on to Grave Peril or read Taken by Robert Crais, the new Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novel which has been calling to me .
The Unabridged version of Monte Cristo is pretty long, the abridged versions did away with most of the sub plots (There were tons of them if I remember correctly).

Definitely his best book in my opinion, I read The Three Musketeers and it wasn't nearly as good, and I couldn't get into the sequels to it.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-26-2012 at 11:29 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #12524
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami just popped into my inbox from the library.

Currently reading:

- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (69%)

- A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (60%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (40%)

- Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (5%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #12525
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The Unabridged version of Monte Cristo is pretty long, the abridged versions did away with most of the sub plots (There were tons of them if I remember correctly).

Definitely his best book in my opinion, I read The Three Musketeers and it wasn't nearly as good, and I couldn't get into the sequels to it.
Yes, the version I read was 1400+ pages long, which knocked me back on my progress towards my 100 book challenge last year. Interesting in what you say about The Three Musketeers and sequels, because I have all of them lined up to read. May move them further down the TBRL now...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote