Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-04-2023, 09:59 PM   #1
Graphiteer
Graphiteer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Importing outside files to Sigil

Hi,
I'm new here. I just discovered Sigil the other day and I've been trying to figure out some things. When I copy and import files from my word processor Sigil does not seem to recognize any text which is already in italics. Is there some special command or tool or style pre-set that I need to tweak to get it to accept italics? It would be a real pain if I had to go through my entire 500 page manuscript to change manually certain select words into italics. Any help would be appreciated.

Graphiteer
Graphiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 10:22 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphiteer View Post
Hi,
I'm new here. I just discovered Sigil the other day and I've been trying to figure out some things. When I copy and import files from my word processor Sigil does not seem to recognize any text which is already in italics. Is there some special command or tool or style pre-set that I need to tweak to get it to accept italics? It would be a real pain if I had to go through my entire 500 page manuscript to change manually certain select words into italics. Any help would be appreciated.

Graphiteer
Which word processor?

If it can save in DOCX format there are several ways to convert that to EPUB, including a Sigil plugin that uses the Mammoth converter.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2023, 11:52 PM   #3
Graphiteer

Importing outside files to Sigil

I've used Wordperfect for forty years, but I can save my work in Microsoft doc format if I need to. What plug-in would you recommend? What steps should I follow once I install the plug-in?
Old 09-05-2023, 01:00 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphiteer View Post
I've used Wordperfect for forty years, but I can save my work in Microsoft doc format if I need to. What plug-in would you recommend? What steps should I follow once I install the plug-in?
If your WordPerfect version allows you to export your file as a .docx file, simply export it as a .docx file. Then install Calibre and use it to convert the .docx file to an .epub file.
If you have an older WordPerfect version that only allows you to save your file as a .doc file or an .rtf file, you might get better results, if you open your .wpd file with LibreOffice or Office 365 and re-save it as a .docx file before converting it with Calibre.
If you don't want to install Calibre, you can also give DiapDealer's DOCXImport Sigil plugin a try, which allows you to customize the .docx to .epub conversion, but only supports the most frequently used .docx features.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
Graphiteer

Thanks to those who replied to my dilemma. I found the answer within Wordperfect itself. When I was looking to see whether I should save my work as a Word document, I noticed in the file pull-down menu an option to Publish to HTML. That did the trick. It retained all the text commands, such as Bold, Italics and Underline.

Man, what a time saver. Now I just have to figure out which plug-in is best to validate the entire manuscript. I hear the FlightCrew plug-in is obsolete.
Advert
Old 09-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Epubcheck: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=248186
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote