Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #61
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
My 350 has just started to noticeably lose battery life a few weeks after I put a skin on it (of course!) and I do want a backup 350 as I love pretty much everything about it. Just scored one of those Green standard Sony covers I've wanted for a while too.

I have a 'Like New' 350 coming from an eBay auction, and ordered a new battery for it from NewPower99. Here's hoping the battery swap goes as smoothly for me as it does in the Youtube video.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #62
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I have a 'Like New' 350 coming from an eBay auction, and ordered a new battery for it from NewPower99. Here's hoping the battery swap goes as smoothly for me as it does in the Youtube video.
Please do report back on how it goes, and how long the new battery lasts.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #63
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My T1 seems to be acting up too much to use. I will probably try to get a backup 350 or 650 when I go to Canada next week.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #64
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
My T1 seems to be acting up too much to use. I will probably try to get a backup 350 or 650 when I go to Canada next week.
From where? They're not sold in stores anymore and if you do find one at a Sony store it'll be a return which you won't want. I've bought those before and there were problems with all of them - burn in, scratches, etc. I'd get the T3 if I were you.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #65
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
You can get a prs350 second hand for like $40. Much better than the stupid and ugly T3.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #66
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
You can get a prs350 second hand for like $40. Much better than the stupid and ugly T3.
Please explain:
how is an 800 x600 screen "better" than a 1024 x 768 one
and a smaller+weaker + 3 year old battery "BETTER" than what the T3 has
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #67
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Please do report back on how it goes, and how long the new battery lasts.
Will do - I also ordered a new battery for my 300. Both say they are extended capacity (750 mAh/300, 900 mAh/350) so I'm curious to see how that all shakes out. If they fit the case/are the same size as the originals. The company does offer a 1 year warranty.

Right now, the 300 discharges after 3 days, and the 350 in about week, depending on usage, of course.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Please explain:
The 350 is a great robust reader. The smaller screen means 200dpi compared to 160dpi of the older 6 inch models and 212dpi for the T3. The text looks nice. Some people prefer the 5 inch models. It also seems there are batteries available.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #69
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
From where? They're not sold in stores anymore and if you do find one at a Sony store it'll be a return which you won't want. I've bought those before and there were problems with all of them - burn in, scratches, etc. I'd get the T3 if I were you.
The Source outlet near my parents' house often has very cheap refurbished Sony Readers, and I can probably be able to have a look at the unit before I buy it, so I'm not too worried about it. I'll keep my eye out on deals on the T3, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #70
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Please explain:
Everything about the 350 is better that T3.

The build quality, portability, the looks, the buttons, the software.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #71
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Battery swap was successful on the 350, although I had much more glue on the trim/under the old battery compared to the video. Flossed it loose, and had to chase after one of the little screws, but that was the extent of the problems I encountered. The replacement was the same size and thickness of the old one - the wires were a bit longer, so there was a bit of coaxing them in alongside the battery. It had about a half-charge, so I was able to check right away that I had put it in properly.

The battery kit showed up the day after I ordered it, and has a 1 year money-back guarantee from NewPower99.

Pictures below -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0564.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	119678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0567.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	119679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0570.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	119680   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0572.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	119681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0574.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	119682  
Old 02-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #72
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
The battery kit showed up the day after I ordered it, and has a 1 year money-back guarantee from NewPower99.
Just curious for future reference if/when my hubby's 350 needs a new one: how much did the new battery set you back?

Also, love the gel skin. Where did you get that, and do they have them for other Sony eReader models?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #73
sharphamster
Anathema Device

The battery plus tools & video was $29US with shipping. I came across other brands that were cheaper, but I paid extra for the warranty. Plus the little prybar was pretty handy.

Thanks teija - Love(d) that skin too, hated to peel it off. I got it from Decal Girl and it's called Sangria Flora. Can't decide if I want to replace it or pick a different one. What to do... what to do.

They carry skins for all the Reader models I think, except the T3. You can get them in a glossy finish or matte. I like the matte as it's a little grippy-er.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #74
FinancialWar
Banned

Lol, what?

Here is what you should do. Peel it off and throw it away. Hope you didn't do the same thing to your MacBook.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #75
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Lol, what?

Here is what you should do. Peel it off and throw it away. Hope you didn't do the same thing to your MacBook.
Skins are a very nice way to add your own touch to your reader and they're very nice to handle. For myself, reading out in the hot sun in the summer makes the metal front of my reader too hot for me to touch... the skin makes it bearable. And there's absolutely zero residue left on the reader when you remove the skins.

I put a solid navy skin on my original silver 350s to make them look more like the blue 350s. I won't put a skin on those though, they're too gorgeous . I'll just avoid touching the front when reading outdoors in the summer sun.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote