Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Reader or firmware issue?

I had a few issues when I bought a Glo back in June this year, such as the reader hanging and occasional skipping pages. I was going to revert to an older firmware, but never got round to it as things seemed to settle down. So, I stopped it doing updates by turning off wi-fi, and I thought I was still on 2.6.1b.

The other day, I finished a book and just wanted to check something further back in the book, and the Glo just froze. Instead of using a paperclip in the bottom, I stupidly did a factory reset so now I have 2.10.0 firmware, but nothing has been going right since. I can't even use the Glo for more than about a minute before it freezes again. When the home page appears, the book cover designs are all blank, and each time I restart all the preferences are back at default settings again.

Numerous pin resets, and a couple more factory resets have done nothing. I read that there can be issues if the time/date is set incorrectly, and sure enough the time was incorrect. I corrected that and it appeared to work OK, the book cover designs appeared and all worked fine for a little longer, but as soon as I disconnected wi-fi things went pear-shaped again. I put wi-fi back on, and tried switching off and on again, putting into sleep mode and waking again, and things seemed to be OK. Great. Not. This morning it won't switch on at all (I left it on sleep overnight - which is what I normally do).

I am starting to suspect that connecting to Kobo Desktop to download my books has given me the new firmware without me realising. I am also starting to suspect that this is going back to the shop for a refund!!

Could this be the fault of the firmware, or the Glo itself?
DH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

Going round in circles now. Constantly having to restart with pin, then it works for a couple of pages then seizes up again. I thought I had cracked it by switching off rather than putting into sleep mode, but that theory went out the window today. Not really sure what to do now. Another factory reset and try and go back to previous firmware, or back to the shop! I don't really want to be messing about like this every few months.
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH59 View Post
Going round in circles now. Constantly having to restart with pin, then it works for a couple of pages then seizes up again. I thought I had cracked it by switching off rather than putting into sleep mode, but that theory went out the window today. Not really sure what to do now. Another factory reset and try and go back to previous firmware, or back to the shop! I don't really want to be messing about like this every few months.
Sounds like you have corruption, try downloading the firmware from the developers forum here in the stickey. And select the version you wish to use. Worse case scenario you may need to reimage the Main Sd card... there are steps and people who can provide you with the correct image, again in the developers corner.

Good luck

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might want to try "Settings">"Accounts" and "Sign out" of Kobo. That will let you rebuild the database. That can often fix a corrupt database, which is a serious issue with the Kobo programs, they have tied way too much of the reader's ability to function to that database.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think you have two choices:

- Logout on the device. This will replace the current database with a fresh one and take you through the basic setup. This fixes a lot of these types of problems. After the login, the sideloaded books will be added back to the library.

- A factory reset. This will format the user partition, install the factory firmware and take you through the setup including downloading the latest firmware. You will need to sideload the books afterwards.

Based on the description, I think I would bite the bullet and do the factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
DH59

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tried signing out of my account on the Glo, and didn't have any luck with that, and have already done two factory resets. I had downloaded the firmware from here and was going to try that, going to an earlier version, but decided in the end to take it back. They have now returned the reader, and I have to wait for my refund. I didn't really want to be messing about with this, when it might go wrong again at some point. Once I get the refund I will probably get a Kindle.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH59 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tried signing out of my account on the Glo, and didn't have any luck with that, and have already done two factory resets. I had downloaded the firmware from here and was going to try that, going to an earlier version, but decided in the end to take it back. They have now returned the reader, and I have to wait for my refund. I didn't really want to be messing about with this, when it might go wrong again at some point. Once I get the refund I will probably get a Kindle.
Good luck with the Kindle; I know someone who has gone through four of the latest model, each one being returned within a few days of receiving it for various reasons. They eventually gave up and bought an Aura and are very happy.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
DH59

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Good luck with the Kindle; I know someone who has gone through four of the latest model, each one being returned within a few days of receiving it for various reasons. They eventually gave up and bought an Aura and are very happy.
I know four people with Kindles and I don't think any of them has had any issues with them, except one person who had problems with one bought from a supermarket, but no problems when she then bought a replacement direct from Amazon.

It's the luck of the draw, really. My husband is not having any issues with his Glo, but he was on an earlier firmware version, and he has now turned wi-fi off so he doesn't get the updates.