Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
lamoe
Enthusiast
lamoe doesn't litterlamoe doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel, Nextar T30, HTC EVO
Home made reader stand

Apoligise for duplication - this was my introduction post and din't know how to get a URL to show pictures then - if anyone wants to see how it's made go to

http://photobucket.com and look up lamoe1777

Thought the stand that came with my Pandigital was one of the worst designs I’d seen in a long time (was an industrial designer for 30 years) – too narrow and no adjustment.

Made my first one using a CD case, 10 pcs of Velcro tape (it has more holding power than most tapes), and 2 pcs of thin, strong Christmas ribbon. Used white VELCO and ribbon to match the reader.

Take the CD case apart and break off the ears.

Cut 4 pcs Velcro about 1” long (FUZZY side - these are the hinges), 4 pcs about 1/2” long (Fuzzy side - these hold one end of the ribbon to the case and wrap around the other end) and 2 pcs about 4” long (HOOK side - these provide the adjustment).

Cut 2 pcs of ribbon about 9” long.

Attach one half of the CD case by sticking 2 pcs of the 1” long tape to the top back of the unit (don’t cover up the switch or rest hole) and the case itself (1/2” on each), these are the hinges. Stick one end of the ribbon to the bottom of the case, on the OUTSIDE of the 1st case half stick a 4” piece of hook tape. Now wrap the free end of the ribbon with a 1/2” fuzzy tape and you have an adjustable vertical stand.

Do the same with the other half of the case on the unit or first case half but tape it the side to make a stand for viewing movies or pictures.

Found out the CD cases are kind of flimsy so I went to the hardware store (Menard’s) and bought a small piece of Lexan for $2. Using the CD case as a template, cut the same sizes using a box cutter (score the plastic and it breaks just like glass).

Now I can stand the reader on a table at whatever angle I want and show movies / pictures to other people.

Can also make a decent sleeve by using what’s called “car headliner” material from a fabric store. It’s padded and easy to work with (no sewing). Get a piece that is 7 1/2” wide x 16 1/2” long. Fold the 16 1/2 “ length in half and use a pen to score the sides to about 6 1/2” wide. The pen point causes the material to compress and adhere to itself. Cut along the scored lines and use 6 pcs of electrical tape to make the side seams (1 pc initially and 2 more about 1/4” in to reinforce it). Use some of the left over Velcro to make a top closure.
lamoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I always appreciate initiate in rigging together cheap-a$$ solutions to problems. (I sew together my own ebook covers using the covers of old Goodwill hardbacks and sheets of pleather. Total cost of all materials: a couple of bucks!)

Here is a more portable version of the reader stand. It comes with it's own carrying case. Have something bigger and heavier, like an iPad? No problem.

Last edited by ardeegee; 09-17-2010 at 08:20 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Unhappy Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Here is a more portable version of the reader stand. It comes with it's own carrying case. Have something bigger and heavier, like an iPad? No problem.
Neither of the links, to me, have anything to do with DIY reader stands...

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 09-18-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Grammar
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I almost hate to tell you this, but if you go to a craft/hobby store you can buy a wire easel in a variety of sizes that works great. The one I have on my desk at work to read while eating lunch is the 4", which I think was $4.99. I bought it for the jetBook, but it works fine for the K3.
For my PDAs, I used to use one of those little plastic holders for sticky-note blocks. The ones with the slanted top edge. You just dropped the PDA in with the short side of the empty block facing you.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=jetbook+easel
I'm sure yours is much better.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
This is what I use, its just standard house hold electrical wire 12 ga insulated. With a hair tie (rubber band) to hold it in place.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96345

It works very well on the Jetbook Lite, because it has a battery compartment bump with 2 flat ends for the rubber band to "snug" the wires up too.

On a regular Jetbook I just slip the rubber band over the length of the jetbook to hold the wires in place, just missing the page turn buttons.

I really like being able to go hands free except for page turns.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Jack for that price, and easily adjustable, you could hardly go wrong.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote